Cruise Rewards Change!!

CanadianTwosome

I just had another really great call to NCL customer service!! I initially called to confirm how long I had left on my existing Cruise Rewards certificate to book and to sail, and I was informed that things have changed... for the BETTER!! (in my opinion)

I explained that I'd picked it up on the Sky last December, hoping that I could apply it to our Epic booking, but of course found that I couldn't do so since it was already booked. She told me that we had until December 2013 to book AND use it (not 18 months to book, 36 months to sail or whatever it used to be - it can be booked and used in the same time frame, which is now FOUR years), but then asked for my Epic reservation number. I explained again that I knew it couldn't be applied because it had been previously booked, and that final payment had been made anyway... and that's when she told me of the even better change!!

So... Now, not only do we have longer to book and longer to use the certificates, but they are NOT restricted to use as deposits!!! She applied mine to our already paid for Epic cruise and is sending a refund to my credit card!! (unfortunately, the refund could not be used as OBC)

I immediately checked the website to see if these new rules had been posted, and I saw the reference to four years, but not to the ability to use the certificate against pre-booked cruises or as payment rather than deposit. So, I hope that this wasn't just a 'fortunate error' in my favour and that this is how it will be from now on. I love the Cruise Rewards, but always hated the deadlines and restrictions, so I think this is great!! :)

**I will add that the one negative change - that I believe has been mentioned already here - is that the rewards are limited to cruises of 6 nights or more, which is different than when we used one for our Sky booking. Really though, that cruise was so inexpensive, we didn't really need any discounts anyway. :)

Maybe call back and see if you can talk to someone else. Some people do things differently. I have seen that mentioned many times on these message boards!

I go through CAS so I have a limited number of options. And I'll be going again so it's no biggie. Was mostly curious...

**I will add that the one negative change - that I believe has been mentioned already here - is that the rewards are limited to cruises of 6 nights or more, which is different than when we used one for our Sky booking. Really though, that cruise was so inexpensive, we didn't really need any discounts anyway. :)

It's interesting about that: last month I was able to book a 4 day cruise on the Sky and use the Cruise Rewards as the exclusive deposit, despite the fact that the rules say the cruise needs to be 6 days or longer. This was directly though NCL. At first I figured that the operator I'd spoken to was using dated information, but when I called back and talked to someone else they confirmed that the Cruise Rewards were good as a deposit.

Maybe they'll force us to stay on the ship for another two days? :)

It's interesting about that: last month I was able to book a 4 day cruise on the Sky and use the Cruise Rewards as the exclusive deposit, despite the fact that the rules say the cruise needs to be 6 days or longer. This was directly though NCL. At first I figured that the operator I'd spoken to was using dated information, but when I called back and talked to someone else they confirmed that the Cruise Rewards were good as a deposit.

Maybe they'll force us to stay on the ship for another two days? :)

Perhaps you purchased your reward before the rule requiring a minimum 6 day cruise came into effect. If that restriction wasn't in place when you bought it, they wouldn't impose it on you.

I think you got lucky :)

As far as I know ... they're only good for deposits :(

... and I've tried otherwise ;)

We booked our last cruise 6 weeks prior to sailing, full payment was due at the time, and the cruise reward was applied to the balance due.

Perhaps you purchased your reward before the rule requiring a minimum 6 day cruise came into effect. If that restriction wasn't in place when you bought it, they wouldn't impose it on you.

We bought them this spring; the accompanying paperwork states quite clearly that it's only good for 6 days or longer. I figured that there's no harm in asking about using them on a 4 day cruise, but was fully expecting to be turned down - that's why I was surprised when the booking agents readily accepted!

Guess we got lucky!

We booked our last cruise 6 weeks prior to sailing, full payment was due at the time, and the cruise reward was applied to the balance due.

You're absolutely right ... I forgot to mention that.

The CR may be applied to any booking as long as a deposit has not already been made ... so it may be used on a new booking within final payment.

Hmmm .... that still doesn't sound right ... huh? ;)

At least not for the OP who had it applied after deposit & final payment :)

We bought 2 cruise rewards on the Pearl in September. Used one for a cruise in May but couldn't use the other for the same cruise. Seemed odd to me because each person (double occupancy in our case) can purchase up to 8 cruise rewards at one time. Do they really think people, if they bought the max, would book 16 cruises 6 days or longer in 4 years? I'm going to try and get the other one applied when final payment comes due.

We bought 2 cruise rewards on the Pearl in September. Used one for a cruise in May but couldn't use the other for the same cruise. Seemed odd to me because each person (double occupancy in our case) can purchase up to 8 cruise rewards at one time. Do they really think people, if they bought the max, would book 16 cruises 6 days or longer in 4 years? I'm going to try and get the other one applied when final payment comes due.

It's now up to 4 cruise reward certificates per person ... but they may be transferred.

Please verify the accuracy of any information that you post as fact. The following Terms & Conditions on NCL's Cruise Rewards Program addresses the number of purchases allowed by one guest...

NCL's Freestyle Cruise Rewards Terms & Conditions for US and Canada

To redeem your Freestyle Cruise Rewards please call your Travel Professional or NCL at 1-866-234-7352. At time of booking, please notify us or your Travel Professional that your Freestyle Cruise Rewards deposit will be applied to the reservation.

1. When you charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit to your shipboard account, you will receive Cruise Reward credit in USD or CAD based on which office your current cruise was purchased (credit will go in your NCL guest record or NCL Latitudes account); and an instant $100 shipboard credit towards your current cruise.

2. Your Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit is charged in U.S. dollars. You must be 21 years of age or older to charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards to your shipboard account.

3. A maximum of four (4) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits may be purchased per person.

4. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are refundable only within 30 days of purchase, in the amount paid minus the amount of the instant $100 shipboard credit. A Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit can only be applied to a new reservation and otherwise has no cash value and is not redeemable or exchangeable for cash. Cruise Rewards Deposits are transferable at no charge.

5. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are valid for sailings of 6 days or longer.

6. Limit one (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used per stateroom; and may be used as the full deposit for all staterooms except Specialty Suites, Courtyard Villas and Garden Villas (staterooms requiring enhanced deposit). One (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used as a partial deposit towards the full required deposit for Specialty Suites, Courtyard Villas and Garden Villas.

7. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are valid for new reservations made within 4 years from the date of purchase, and become null and void after expiration. Failure to redeem and sail within 4 years will result in forfeiture of Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit.

8. You must notify NCL or your Travel Professional that a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit will be applied at the time of reservation. No black-out dates will apply. Reservations are subject to availability.

9. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits cannot be combined with chartered cruises, employee, friends and family, interline and travel agent rates.

10. To cancel a reservation made with a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit, you must submit the cancellation in writing and it must be received by NCL in accordance with NCL cancellation policies and procedures. The Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit will be re-issued minus any cancellation fees, but will retain its original expiration date. If you cancel a reservation made with a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit after its expiration date, it will be forfeited. You are expected to have appropriate travel documentation. Cancellations due to lack of appropriate travel documentation (e.g., improper or expired visas or passports, etc.) will incur applicable cancellation fees.

11. In addition to these Terms and Conditions, you must comply with the NCL the NCL (Bahamas) Ltd. d/b/a NCL and/or NCL America Inc.'s (together "NCL") Terms and Conditions of the Cruise Brochure and Passenger Ticket Contract.

Sorry you missed it but one has ALWAYS been able to apply only ONE certificate per cabin when booking. This restriction has been in the literature for this program for the beginning.

Good luck on trying to get NCL to apply a second certificate to the same cruise it certainly is not something they are required to do.....for a CC Administrator or anyone else.

So... First I must apologize if I got anyone excited. I was at work when I spoke to the rep yesterday and so since she said she'd emailed me a confirmation, I assumed she had. When I hadn't found it in my home email inbox by this afternoon, I went online to find that no reservations were attached to my account... ha ha ha Ah yes, a 'sign'... Anyway, I called customer service, who gave me the number to tech support (who quickly fixed my account problem), and then looked into my cruise reward experience.

The nice young man could see that the certificate had been applied, and it did appear that a confirmation email had been sent... but of course he was quite confused because there is no new rule as I was informed yesterday, so he wasn't sure what was happening. He took my number and was going to speak to the accounting department... so I'll keep everyone posted, but for all intents and purposes, no matter what has happened with my account, I think it's safe to say that the program is the same as it has always been - Cruise Rewards Certificates are for deposits only. :)

Please verify the accuracy of any information that you post as fact. The following Terms & Conditions on NCL's Cruise Rewards Program addresses the number of purchases allowed by one guest...

NCL's Freestyle Cruise Rewards Terms & Conditions for US and Canada

To redeem your Freestyle Cruise Rewards please call your Travel Professional or NCL at 1-866-234-7352. At time of booking, please notify us or your Travel Professional that your Freestyle Cruise Rewards deposit will be applied to the reservation.

1. When you charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit to your shipboard account, you will receive Cruise Reward credit in USD or CAD based on which office your current cruise was purchased (credit will go in your NCL guest record or NCL Latitudes account); and an instant $100 shipboard credit towards your current cruise.

2. Your Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit is charged in U.S. dollars. You must be 21 years of age or older to charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards to your shipboard account.

3. A maximum of four (4) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits may be purchased per person.

4. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are refundable only within 30 days of purchase, in the amount paid minus the amount of the instant $100 shipboard credit. A Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit can only be applied to a new reservation and otherwise has no cash value and is not redeemable or exchangeable for cash. Cruise Rewards Deposits are transferable at no charge.

5. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are valid for sailings of 6 days or longer.

6. Limit one (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used per stateroom; and may be used as the full deposit for all staterooms except Specialty Suites, Courtyard Villas and Garden Villas (staterooms requiring enhanced deposit). One (1) Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit may be used as a partial deposit towards the full required deposit for Specialty Suites, Courtyard Villas and Garden Villas.

7. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits are valid for new reservations made within 4 years from the date of purchase, and become null and void after expiration. Failure to redeem and sail within 4 years will result in forfeiture of Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit.

8. You must notify NCL or your Travel Professional that a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit will be applied at the time of reservation. No black-out dates will apply. Reservations are subject to availability.

9. Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposits cannot be combined with chartered cruises, employee, friends and family, interline and travel agent rates.

10. To cancel a reservation made with a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit, you must submit the cancellation in writing and it must be received by NCL in accordance with NCL cancellation policies and procedures. The Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit will be re-issued minus any cancellation fees, but will retain its original expiration date. If you cancel a reservation made with a Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit after its expiration date, it will be forfeited. You are expected to have appropriate travel documentation. Cancellations due to lack of appropriate travel documentation (e.g., improper or expired visas or passports, etc.) will incur applicable cancellation fees.

11. In addition to these Terms and Conditions, you must comply with the NCL the NCL (Bahamas) Ltd. d/b/a NCL and/or NCL America Inc.'s (together "NCL") Terms and Conditions of the Cruise Brochure and Passenger Ticket Contract.

I posted the factual information of what happened to me when I purchased 2 cruise rewards certificates on September 24, 2010. If you were not there, it would be hard to say I didn't have my facts straight but thank you for posting the program details. I'm sure many members here are interested.

Sorry you missed it but one has ALWAYS been able to apply only ONE certificate per cabin when booking. This restriction has been in the literature for this program for the beginning.

Good luck on trying to get NCL to apply a second certificate to the same cruise it certainly is not something they are required to do.....for a CC Administrator or anyone else.

Being able to use only one isn't a problem for me. I plan to take other cruises in the 4 year time frame. If I could apply both, great, but I don't lose sleep over it. Not sure how my position here factors into it but OK. ;)

It's now up to 4 cruise reward certificates per person ... but they may be transferred.
We may have misunderstood the number we could book. We were under the impression that we could buy 8 per person after we went to the port and cruise talk. We didnt' ask for sure because we didn't want to buy that many. But if it's 4 per person, that's still 8 cruises in 4 years. I guess if you can do that...great for those people!

The key here is #7 of the T&C's - "...are valid for new reservations made within 4 years of the date of purchase..." as long as the reservation was made after the purchase you can have the coupon applied. It does not have to be the initial deposit.... but then why would you not want to use it insead of other monies??? If you go online and make your reservation and are require it to pay it in full at that time...you can still call in and have your Cruise Reward applid which would put money back on your credit card....

We may have misunderstood the number we could book. We were under the impression that we could buy 8 per person after we went to the port and cruise talk. We didnt' ask for sure because we didn't want to buy that many. But if it's 4 per person, that's still 8 cruises in 4 years. I guess if you can do that...great for those people!

They are transferrable so we have given them as gifts, buy them for others, as well as using them ourselves..........so we often purchase 6-8 of them at a time. :eek::):D

They are transferrable so we have given them as gifts, buy them for others, as well as using them ourselves..........so we often purchase 6-8 of them at a time. :eek::):D
Hmmm...you're a giving person. See, I was thinking...these are MY future cruise rewards. ;)

Admin,

"I posted the factual information of what happened to me when I purchased 2 cruise rewards certificates on September 24, 2010. If you were not there, it would be hard to say I didn't have my facts straight but thank you for posting the program details."

Limit has always been 4 certs pp per cruise;)

Admin,

"I posted the factual information of what happened to me when I purchased 2 cruise rewards certificates on September 24, 2010. If you were not there, it would be hard to say I didn't have my facts straight but thank you for posting the program details."

Limit has always been 4 certs pp per cruise;)

Yes, so it seems. But as I said, we were under the impression that it was 8. See how that works...we thought it was 8 but it's really 4. We were wrong and now know emphatically that it's 4 and always been 4. If anyone ever asks me, I'll make sure to tell them 4. Cruise certs...FOUR PER PERSON. Gotcha. Thanks. ;)

Archived