How much do you tip your masseur/masseuse?

bassetdaddy

One thing I have never done in 18 cruises is get a massage and doggone it, this is the time! Can anyone give me an idea what they would give their spa attendant in the way of a gratuity? I am a 15-20% restaurant tipper and want to reward nice service while neither looking cheap nor like I think I am The Donald. :)

Hi:) You can always tip extra, but I believe when it comes to Spa items, whether it be a massage or a hair cut in the salon, there is an automatic 15% added to your bill.

Maybe someone can 2nd this, or correct me if I am wrong.

On the ship they add 10% to spa services which is about the going tip here is south ga. When I get a $50 massage I tip $5 here. Also I think it depends on how bad you look naked! LOL! (based on that I don't have enough money to get a massage! ROFL!!!)

Hi:) You can always tip extra, but I believe when it comes to Spa items, whether it be a massage or a hair cut in the salon, there is an automatic 15% added to your bill.

Maybe someone can 2nd this, or correct me if I am wrong.

You are right Lois,,,I don't tip extra:o

Suzan tips generously..on one condition...everytime they try to sell her something, she reduces the tip..she tells them that up front....she then gets a really great massage without the constant sales pitch for oils, creams, blah, blah, blah.

• 3 weeks later...

Lois R, I am sure you are right about the 15% gratuity added for tip. My husband and I have never tipped the masseuse because the tip is included in what they charge you. Once I did elect an extra procedure that the masseuse presented to me, and then later realized that time had been taken out from the massage to do it, so I had paid extra on my time! My husband, who is a veteran of massage therapy, claims he has never gotten a good massage on a ship, but I am more generous in my evaluation.

I, too, hate the sales pitches. Any time they take to try to sell something is on your time!:mad:

Lois R, we are cruising on the Summit April 1st. I wish you were going to be taking that one because from reading a number of your posts here, I think you would be a hoot!

10% is the land based industry standard for Salon and Spa services however I've seen some upscale resorts automatically add 20%! The nerve they have since the prices are already sky high. I don't remember if it's automatically included on Celebrity ships but when in doubt, 10% is appropriate.

the 15% added automatically to your bill should be acceptable and no more expected. On two occassions I did tip more: once cause I didn't realize the 15% had been added, (bet she loved me) the second time because the treatment and the gal were above anything I could have expected. NMNita

My system's pretty simple-

When they ask if my wife is enjoying the cruise, I know they're not paying attention!:D

(Honestly, I add a little if the service is spectacular, but other that that, just sign and go.)

Last Nov. on the Zenith, I had a pedicure and manicure for $70.00 they added a 10% tip for a total charged to my card for $77.00. Just ask at the spa desk while waiting for services. They explained the tip, etc. to me.

Enjoy!!:D

Archived