Things I should do after embarking...

pgphoto

What are some of the things I should try to take care of right away/pretty soon after embarking?

i.e., make MDR reservations, make Canaletto reservations, check out the spa to see if I want to purchase passes to the hydropool/thermal suites room, visit each bar to see when/if they have drink specials during the week, etc.

...other than explore the ship, have fun, just relax, have a drink, etc. :-)

Thanks!

What are some of the things I should try to take care of right away/pretty soon after embarking?

i.e., make MDR reservations, make Canaletto reservations, check out the spa to see if I want to purchase passes to the hydropool/thermal suites room,

Luckily, the dining reservations are one stop, and they aren't too far from the spa.

visit each bar to see when/if they have drink specials during the week, etc.

No need to make a special trip. All that info is in the Daily Program. The Happy Hour times and places are listed daily. I can't remember if the Drink of the Day is listed (think it is), but it is in the cocktail menu on every cocktail table.

But, you will be passing a bar on the way from dining reservations to the spa, should you feel compelled to make a stop. ;)

If you have an ipod, take the art tour!

You can download the tour from the HAL website. It gives some great info and insight to the artwork on the HAL ships!

It also takes you around the ship to explore!

What if you don't have an ipod? do they have any you can borrow?

Okay, please, a little help here. Never before sailed on HAL and going on our first next year for 17 days. About the signing up for dining, we're going to do the anytime--not the set dining. When you say "sign up for dining" do you mean the speciality restaurant and the Canaletto only? And I'm wondering, on a 17 day cruise, do you think that will be necessary to do immediately or do you think we can do it as we go along, due to the length of the trip. I've only been on Princess so I don't know the ropes of HAL. Thanks for any help!

What if you don't have an ipod? do they have any you can borrow?

They sure do; check with the desk in the library. You can check out books there, pick up copies of the daily crossword puzzles, check out an ipod loaded with the art tour, among other things. The library's in the Explorations area.

If you intend to buy a block of internet time, do it the first day to get the bonus minutes.

Okay, please, a little help here. Never before sailed on HAL and going on our first next year for 17 days. About the signing up for dining, we're going to do the anytime--not the set dining. When you say "sign up for dining" do you mean the speciality restaurant and the Canaletto only? And I'm wondering, on a 17 day cruise, do you think that will be necessary to do immediately or do you think we can do it as we go along, due to the length of the trip. I've only been on Princess so I don't know the ropes of HAL. Thanks for any help!
With the Open MDR seating you can also make reservations for a specific size table and some time ranges, so you can take care of the first night or two on embarkation day.

As far as reservations at the other restaurants, if you have particular days that you really want to eat there I would suggest that you make reservations early in the cruise, if not the first day. Some days could book-up early, even if they are toward the end of the cruise. (I'm thinking of Master Chef Dinner night in the MDR, which many people try to avoid! :) )

We always check our dining table reservation and location first to see where it is and if any changes can be made to its location. Then once in the cabin and if the luggage has arrived I always unpack and hang out my clothes first and then go wander around the ship.

We love the departure ritual of watching the pilot finally leave the ship, jumping across the water to the moving pilot boat running along side the HAL ship so we look for the best viewing spots to be able to look over the edge to watch that happen after we leave the harbor. Some places you can look over the edge, but not directly down the side of the ship where this pilot transfer will take place.

If you have early dinner, this will not be something to look for since it takes place shortly after departure after 5pm. But if this becomes part of your cruising ritual then finding that great viewing spot is always a first for us.

One other thing I try to do is to look for distinguishing visuals in each of the deck stairwell foyers that tell me which way to turn once I get to the deck I want to visit. I get turned around and not too good about reading the star board and port directions.

Am I on a stairwell in the middle of the ship, front of the ship, back of the ship. Did I come out of the stairwell on the port or starboard side. What visual clues can I look for in the foyers and stairwell paintings and art work that tell me my right from my left and the front from the back.

They sure do; check with the desk in the library. You can check out books there, pick up copies of the daily crossword puzzles, check out an ipod loaded with the art tour, among other things. The library's in the Explorations area.

Next time I'm going to do it early as I left it until later in the cruise on Zuiderdam and asked twice and there weren't any ipods to loan for the art tour.

Good thread with good ideas. :)

I don't recall the brand of the Bon Voyage wine but the white is quite drinkable if very cold. I have pre ordered two bottles for our Saturday departure because it is an ok everyday kind of wine and relatively cheap for HAL. The wine steward was visibly embarassed when I brought a bottle of the red, which we had received from a travel agent as a gift, to the MDR. He offered to let me trade it up but I stupidly said "let's give it a try." One sip and I asked him to dump it and ordered a better bottle. He credited me for the bad stuff on the new order which was nice of him.

Gary

We are also doing the anytime dining. I've read that you can (and should) make reservations for the MDR in advance once you board the ship. Maybe I'm wrong here? I also know that you can't make reservations for the Canaletto before your cruise, but you can make them once you've boarded. You CAN make reservations for the Tamarind and Pinnacle before the cruise, so we plan on trying to make the reservations for those on the nights when they're not having crab legs, lobster, etc. in the MDR...

p.s. Also, don't mean to be a dunce, but what is "chef's table" that lots of people avoid?

You must be referring to the Master Chef's Dinner. A spectacle not beloved by all. It wasn't done on my last cruise (Yippee!), and was toned down on the one before, I understand (I was in the Pinnacle).

It's an "event" with lots of music and dancing and prancing around. The stewards, along with cruise staff and entertainers have some production numbers in which they place your napkin on your lap, juggle vegetables before the salad service, and generally prevent diners from having conversation.

Besides that, there has been a limited menu, although I understand that has been expanded somewhat.

If you haven't been once, then you really won't be "in the know". ;) But once will probably be enough.

May I then ask you you know in advance when those crab leg, lobster night will occur? Thanks!

I've asked this question, too (both on cruisecritic and on the phone w/ HAL). Everyone says you won't know 100% until you board, but if you call Ship Services and request the MDR schedule/menus from a recent cruise that is the same as yours, there is a very, very good chance it will be the same. That's what I'm going to do. And someone from HAL told me that if you make a reservation for the Tamarind or Pinnacle, and it ends up falling on a night you want to eat at the MDR after all, there's a good chance you'll be able to change your reservation.

It sounds like something I'd prefer to avoid. Again, how does one go about finding out when these events occur on a cruise (as well as when are the formal nights) prior to embarkation? There must be a way, huh?
On ships that have it, the Master Chef Dinner is being done on the last night, usually. As pgphoto said, you can't be 100% sure of anything until you look at the listing in the first day's Daily Program ... and even then, that might change. However, if you tell us what ship you're on, and what date, we can make some reasonable guesses when your formal nights will be.

Archived