Strangest design ideas on X

WineDown17

Was looking thru the Andreas Depping photos of Eclipse ..specifically the ph shots..and noticed that right next to the bidet in the master bath, there is..a telephone! Ewwww! Cant think of a grosser place for that!

So I thought i would ask what other strange design ideas may be out there on X that makes people wonder "what were they thinking?!?!":confused:

I hope I don't get flamed for this:

Haven't been on Celeb yet (will be in January). Some of the stateroom photos remind me of a 21 foot travel trailer we had several years ago, in particular the storage cabinets over the bed.:confused:

Now, I'm not saying the ships don't look beautiful, but whenever I see those pics, it just reminds me so much of camping. And, actually both designers had the same idea: fit as much practical stuff into as little space as possible.

Hear are some things I would like to see

1. People movers like they have in airports so I can easily get from the back of the ship to the stern

2. Elevators that go to the back of the ship

3. Extra electric generator not in the engine room.

Hear are some things I would like to see

1. People movers like they have in airports so I can easily get from the back of the ship to the stern

:) Wow People movers from the back of the ship to the Stern? That really sounds like . . . . Lazy. Now from the back of the ship to the Bow, I can understand. :)

The strangest thing I have seen are the plaques over the urinals with famous sayings on the S class ships.. They appear to have a thing for Oscar Wilde....I was trying to explain it to my wife but wound up being really tempted to bring her in and show her...

Was looking thru the Andreas Depping photos of Eclipse ..specifically the ph shots..and noticed that right next to the bidet in the master bath, there is..a telephone! Ewwww! Cant think of a grosser place for that!

I think that perhaps the phone in the bath area may actually be a good idea. Lots of people feel ill in the washrooms & cannot get to a phone; perhaps that is the reason. Certainly not for good looks. Just my thoughts. :)

A phone in the bath room area really isn't a new concept. While it may have the "Ewwwwww" factor, it's also practical in some cases.:)

Mary

I dont debate that..but putting it next to the bidet?? Near the sinks or showeres would have been a much more sanitary choice.

I dont debate that..but putting it next to the bidet?? Near the sinks or showeres would have been a much more sanitary choice.

I haven't seen the picture you're referring to, but I think the point of having a phone in the bathroom is so that it can be reached from the commode in case of an emergency.

So I thought i would ask what other strange design ideas may be out there on X that makes people wonder "what were they thinking?!?!":confused:

That's not really strange, you will find a phone in the bathroom in many hotels. I would even say that in most new hotels, it is in the bathroom. I really don't find it gross. Most of the time it is within reaching distance of the toilet. There is an old saying that the phone will always ring while you are in the bathroom. Sort of like telemarketers will always call during dinner time..

The designers were women, Celebrity made a big thing about this when they started building the S class ships... If they were men, there would also be a magazine rack..

Here's a link to the press statement from 2007.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000ZVONfIcwA9IBjIm2DQB219Y:12hdebcnj?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2007-09-20&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

The strangest thing I have seen are the plaques over the urinals with famous sayings on the S class ships.. They appear to have a thing for Oscar Wilde....I was trying to explain it to my wife but wound up being really tempted to bring her in and show her...

Hi Don !

Maybe I'm strange, but I thought the plaques were great. Some of them were very amusing. Certainly an interesting way to pass the time. What can I say... I just like to go with the Flow :).

Hi Don !

Maybe I'm strange, but I thought the plaques were great. Some of them were very amusing. Certainly an interesting way to pass the time. What can I say... I just like to go with the Flow :).

I liked them also, I was trying to read all of them and you are so right, they go with the flow...

In this case, you could not reach it from the potty...becuase there is the potty....then a space...then.... The bidet...then the phone...

And maybe i am just a germaphobe, but i just cant see answering the phone while using a device designed to clean ones private areas....

Or worse using a phone that someone else used while also using the bidet...in this instance, i am a fan of voicemail:p

In this case, you could not reach it from the potty...becuase there is the potty....then a space...then.... The bidet...then the phone...

And maybe i am just a germaphobe, but i just cant see answering the phone while using a device designed to clean ones private areas....

Or worse using a phone that someone else used while also using the bidet...in this instance, i am a fan of voicemail:p

As Andy said, just go with the flow....

Well, this isn't really a design, more of an artistic feature....

In one of the stairtowers on Summit there are beaded busts/figurines in the landing wall alcoves. We ended up calling them "the drag queens of the Summit." ;):D

CM

Well, this isn't really a design, more of an artistic feature....

In one of the stairtowers on Summit there are beaded busts/figurines in the landing wall alcoves. We ended up calling them "the drag queens of the Summit." ;):D

CM

Dont you mean the dusty drag queens? I had to laugh lastnyear as they were ensconced in a thick dust....took some of their sparkle away!:p

Sorry to distress your sensibilities but telephone next to toilet or bidet (depending on the layout of the fixtures) is pretty standard in any half million and up house in the northeast U. S.

Sorry to distress your sensibilities but telephone next to toilet or bidet (depending on the layout of the fixtures) is pretty standard in any half million and up house in the northeast U. S.

Ummm. I have one of those homes, and requested not to have one....sorry. People who live in larger homes have germs too.

That's not really strange, you will find a phone in the bathroom in many hotels. I would even say that in most new hotels, it is in the bathroom. I really don't find it gross. Most of the time it is within reaching distance of the toilet. There is an old saying that the phone will always ring while you are in the bathroom. Sort of like telemarketers will always call during dinner time..

The designers were women, Celebrity made a big thing about this when they started building the S class ships... If they were men, there would also be a magazine rack..

Here's a link to the press statement from 2007.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000ZVONfIcwA9IBjIm2DQB219Y:12hdebcnj?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2007-09-20&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

The "Leading Ladies" were not the designers, they formed a "user panel" that gave ideas to the designers.

All the principal designers in the firm are men.

Not to divert the discussion away from the phones-in-the-head...OK, I' join in: I agree, let it ring!- I don't want to talk to someone 'using the facitilities' - and by the way, I Hate it at airports in the mens room standing next to some guy using his cell phone at the urinal - I want to shout - they can Hear what you are doing!!

As to my input: the safes on the Solistce. Not easy to get to if you are not limber. I can get up and down OK, but I can see it as an issue for the less flexible. I end up squeezing by the bed (when the bed is near the wall, or sitting on the floor.

Denny

Archived