Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Wonder if the fire was as bad as the Ecstasy:

ecsfire2.jpg

On the afternoon of July 20, 1998, MS Ecstasy had departed the Port of Miami, Florida, en route to Key West, Florida, with 2,565 passengers and 916 crewmembers on board when a fire started in the main laundry shortly after 1700. The fire migrated through the ventilation system to the aft mooring deck where mooring lines ignited, creating intense heat and large amounts of smoke. As the Ecstasy was attempting to reach an anchorage north of the Miami sea buoy, the vessel lost propulsion power and steering and began to drift. The master then radioed the U.S. Coast Guard for assistance. A total of six tugboats responded to help fight the fire and to tow the Ecstasy. The fire was brought under control by onboard firefighters and was officially declared extinguished about 2109. Fourteen crewmembers and eight passengers suffered minor injuries. One passenger who required medical treatment as a result of a pre-existing condition was categorized as a serious injury victim because of the length of her hospital stay. Carnival Corporation, Inc., the owner of the Ecstasy, estimated that losses from the fire and associated damages exceeded $17 million.

The National Transportation Safety Board determined that the probable cause of fire aboard the Ecstasy was the unauthorized welding by crewmembers in the main laundry that ignited a large accumulation of lint in the ventilation system and the failure of Carnival Cruise Lines to maintain the laundry exhaust ducts in a fire-safe condition. Contributing to the extensive fire damage on the ship was the lack of an automatic fire suppression system on the aft mooring deck and the lack of an automatic means of mitigating the spread of smoke and fire through the ventilation ducts.

Passengers received a full refund and were offered a complimentary cruise for the inconvenience.

I wonder how many first time cruisers are trying to cancel their cruises. My neighbor is canceling her cruise on Destiny in February (she only paid a deposit thus far).

That's a shame....

we have 7 booked and can't wait !!!!

From USA Today:

One point for solar and wind emergency power generation on cruise ships. I have no idea if they have such equipment, but it would have come in handy today.

Because the open deck space is being occupied by sun worshipers?

Let me add something else here to that comment. I am installing solar PV on my roof. About 40% of my south facing roof will be used by panels and they will provide a maximum 5 KW of power. Solar is great if you have space and a good south-facing view. On a ship those panels would be inadequate for the needs of a ship and an aiming device would be needed to keep the panels pointed at the Sun. So they would provide minimal power during the day and nothing at night.

Do you see the folly in your statement?

I wonder how many first time cruisers are trying to cancel their cruises. My neighbor is canceling her cruise on Destiny in February (she only paid a deposit thus far).

That's worse than deciding not to drive to work because you saw a car accident on TV this morning... :rolleyes:

That is so true! Splendor Bride, some day one of your grandbabies will be saying, "Granny, tell us about when YOU got married!" You woudn't want a boring story to tell them would you? (OK, maybe you would, lol.)

But I do agree that you are to be commended for your positive attitude.

Kudos to the bride with the great attitude.

Yes this will certainly divide the true "travelers" from the "non-travelers".

We have been on ships that lost their "toilets" .... anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to a full day. We survived just fine....just part of traveling sometimes.

I would rather lose the toilet facilities on a ship during a cruise than an engine on a plane during a flight. It is all about perspective...... ;)

Thats crazy. Does your neighbor also not fly because there have been plane crashes in the past?

According to USA Today cabin toilets are working again.

Yes, of course they are now working .. I quoted the piece saying they are now working (so of course I read what I quoted) .. and added my comment on how it would have been until they got them up and working again... I must be confusing people again this morning what I meant.

Thats crazy. Does your neighbor also not fly because there have been plane crashes in the past?

Some people, especially new cruisers, seem to expect perfection on their cruises. On Crazies, Im sure some of those newbies will never cruise again .. and we only missed two ports. You should have heard how they carried on about how Carnival was blocking the weather and other conspiracies.

It doesnt take much of a excuse for some not to cruise again.

My daughter honeymooned on Ecstasy 2 weeks before the fire. We just count our Blessings and realize that one thing does not lead to another.

Prayers for those who are going through this situation and waiting for help to limp to Ensenada and get home. Thanks and praises that no one seems to have been hurt.

I wonder if Carnival is giving them a full refund and announced what they are giving to these guys. No toilets flushing .. on a cruise ship. Im trying to imagine.

According to CNN Travel and the Carnival news blog

"Guests will receive a full refund and reimbursement for transportation costs, and will also receive a complimentary future cruise equal to the amount they paid for this voyage, Carnival said."

People like this are looking for an excuse not to fly, cruise, take the train or whatever. If I was talked into a cruise and I really didn't want to go, I can see where I would use this as a great excuse to point my finger and say "see, this is why I don't want to go.".

...One point for solar and wind emergency power generation on cruise ships. I have no idea if they have such equipment, but it would have come in handy today.

Solar maybe but definitely not any form of wind power (impractical). Any wind just pushes the ship around, think of a sail. You need a fixed base to counteract the forces to capture energy. And it would definitely not work while moving. Any energy input would have to be overcome by energy output (more drag). Imagine a wind turbine on your car with it's tires on the concrete. Now imagine the car is on ice...

Archived