Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Uh please explain to me how being trapped on a ship with no electricity, no AC and broken toliets beats a day at work? And they did get a refund and a free cruise as they should. You people are unbelievable.

Well, I guess it depends on where you work.

I'd rather be at work as well. Do some of you realize that not everyone gets two months off every year? :rolleyes: there are people out there who only get two weeks off (including sick days) and this was their one and only vacation. Can you imagine planning for a year, saving up for an inside cabin for a "dream vacation" to have this happen? I'm lucky and this would not have been a disaster for me, but I really feel for those whose only vacation just got ruined.

I wonder if Carnival is giving them a full refund and announced what they are giving to these guys. No toilets flushing .. on a cruise ship. Im trying to imagine.

I think you would be better off if you didn't try to imagine that particular scene. :)

The coast guard says that it will take about 24 hrs to tow the ship into Ensenada.

I can just imagine trying to round up enough buses for over 3000pax. Since we

live north of Ensenada, I am sure we will see a parade of buses going south.

I am curious where they plan to repair the ship. Ensenada has great ship repair

facilities and it would be cheaper than repairing in LA.

Greg

I'd rather be at work as well. Do some of you realize that not everyone gets two months off every year? :rolleyes: there are people out there who only get two weeks off (including sick days) and this was their one and only vacation. Can you imagine planning for a year, saving up for an inside cabin for a "dream vacation" to have this happen? I'm lucky and this would not have been a disaster for me, but I really feel for those whose only vacation just got ruined.

Yep. At my job, you earn "paid time off." If you get the flu, you have just used your vacation. There is no additional sick time. Same situation for some passengers here. Getting reimbursed is good-it should go without saying-and making lemonade out of lemons is also just fine-but it doesn't change the fact that for some, this IS their vacation and for them, that's just really unfortunate.

Some people, especially new cruisers, seem to expect perfection on their cruises. On Crazies, Im sure some of those newbies will never cruise again .. and we only missed two ports. You should have heard how they carried on about how Carnival was blocking the weather and other conspiracies.

Carnival can block the weather? I think I'm going to buy stock in Carnival before next year's hurricane season.

So the lack of air condtioning shouldn't be a big problem. Good for them even better

We were on the Oosterdam a few years ago in December when the A/C gave out during our trip back north to San Diego from Puerto Vallarta. Even though the weather was not hot, it was still miserable on board - but as passengers we survived it because we had access to the outer/upper decks, and many of course had verandas. The crew, however, was not so lucky. It was very hot in the bowels of the ship, where there is little ventilation. Crew members were relieved when it was their turn to come on duty and come to the public areas where they could cool off - they all looked hot, sweaty, and miserable.

So today my thoughts are not only with the passengers, who must have endured a frightening experience at 6 a.m. and now face the ruin of their dream vacation (although I know Carnival will do all they can to make it right), but also with the crew who may be under even harsher conditions as the main focus is likely on passenger comfort.

I hope there is not major damage and that the ship does not require drydock. Crossing fingers and toes for all those scheduled to be on the Splendor in the coming weeks and months! On our last (Eurodam) cruise the ship ran into a string of lobster pots a few days before we departed and there were rumors our trip would be cancelled. I know that is not as big of an incident as an engine fire, but I do know the feeling of not knowing what is going on and if your vacation is going to be cancelled. My advice is hang in there and don't listen to rumors - wait until you get official word from Carnival. :o

Like many others, I came here to get information about what is happening with the ship.

Sadly, there are pages and page and pages full of postings with very little to do with the situation.

Too bad so many people think they have to post every little thought that comes into their head.

Or, go off topic or get into trivial arguments. Or try to get an answer to something that NOBODY can answer at this point.

I apologize for adding another post that provides no information.

Let me preface this by saying that I know little about interstate commerce, etc....

But would it make more (or less if you educate me) sense to spend the extra day at sea and tug the boat to San Diego? Looks like they restored running (albeit, cold) water and toilet facilities. Perhaps they can restore additional utilities today.

But I see quite an inconvenience in debarking 3000 passengers in Ensenada, going through customs, and providing dozens of busses across the border for them to endure a day-long drive, have the pax cross the border (again) to get them to San Diego.

Plus, wouldn't it be more prudent to repair the boat in an American port?

Unless conditions on the Splendour are a threat to health and/or safety, I'd rather stay on a drifting boat and make the best of it rather than face the prospect of a potentially untenable situation in Ensanada, knowing the prospect of getting to SD isn't going to be pretty.

I'm certain I'm missing something here, and I welcome your comments to better educate me on the decision to debark everyone in Mexico rather than spend the day at sea and go straight to San Diego.

Thanks,

Alan

Those passengers want off the ship now, not a day later.

That ship must be cursed. I was on it last year during Thanksgiving week. Our departure was delayed by hours because the ship arrived late in Long Beach that morning. During the cruise, there was rumor of a minor collision in Puerta Vallarta. Then it had to turn around and go back to Cabo San Lucas to have the Captain removed. Official explanation was he had a heart attack. We ended up getting into Long Beach over 6 hours late. The ship itself just had bad vibes. The flow wasn't good and most public areas were very small and crowded.

At the hospital where I work, the provision for loss of water is to put trash bags in the toilets. They can then be changed as needed. Perhaps the ship is doing that?

That's one of those handy little tips to keep in mind for the future. Seriously, thanks for posting.

Ms B

This came from John Heald's blog update...

Currently several key hotel systems, including air conditioning, hot food service, and telephones are not available. Last night, the ship’s engineers were able to restore toilet service to all cabins and public bathrooms, as well as cold running water. The ship’s crew continues to actively work to restore other services.

That ship must be cursed. I was on it last year during Thanksgiving week. Our departure was delayed by hours because the ship arrived late in Long Beach that morning. During the cruise, there was rumor of a minor collision in Puerta Vallarta. Then it had to turn around and go back to Cabo San Lucas to have the Captain removed. Official explanation was he had a heart attack. We ended up getting into Long Beach over 6 hours late. The ship itself just had bad vibes. The flow wasn't good and most public areas were very small and crowded.

Nice positive 1st post....getting back 6 hours late sure puts all these problems to shame.:confused:

I'm assuming Ensenada because a ship can't leave from a US port without docking in a foreign port or they face fines. That's the simple version...someone else can probably give you more specifics.

The ship has not stopped at any ports, so this could be a CTN (cruise to nowhere). As such, if able, it could dock in Long Beach. Docking in San Diego would be a violation of the PVSA. That said, the fine could be waved. That is something Carnival could work out a head of time.

However, I don't think the passengers want to stay on the ship an extra day, nor do I think Carnival wants them on the ship an extra day.

Once they dump the passengers, I imagine the crew will stay on Splendor. If they can't get a generator or two working, I think Splendor will be towed back to the US.

I doubt the Jones Act is a factor in Carnival's decision - there will no doubt be lots of lawsuits and forcing passengers to spend an extra day would cost more than any possible, albeit unlikely, fine.

No, the Jones Act has nothing to do with this. The PVSA might, if the ship docked in San Diego. But you are right, the Jones Act would not apply at all.

The ship has not stopped at any ports, so this could be a CTN (cruise to nowhere). As such, if able, it could dock in Long Beach. Docking in San Diego would be a violation of the PVSA. That said, the fine could be waved. That is something Carnival could work out a head of time.

However, I don't think the passengers want to stay on the ship an extra day, nor do I think Carnival wants them on the ship an extra day.

I agree, getting everyone off ASAP and working out any issues in regards the PVSA is much better than continuing for reasons relating to whether passports are held or not.

I'm assuming Ensenada because a ship can't leave from a US port without docking in a foreign port or they face fines. That's the simple version...someone else can probably give you more specifics.

Since the ship did not stop at any port after leaving San Diego, it could return to the San Diego without violating any rules.

I loved the comment about the toilets all "swooshing" at the same time! Also, if I was a passenger I would love the fact that basically i just got a "free" cruise being they are getting completely reimbursed and recieving a future comparable cruise. It can't be too bad on the ship right now, I would just grab my book and find a deck to sit on and enjoy the weather.

The problem is that many have taken vacation time from work and who knows when they will be able to take more days off.

Archived