Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

I can't help but chuckle at the canned reporting on Yahoo News calling it a "luxury" cruise ship...NOT!!!!

even more funny is the comments on the yahoo news article like this:

What an ugly, slab sided vessel this thing is. Supposed to look sleek or something. Compare ti to the rear ships - the liners - and this thing is nothing more than a cattle car, designed to pack the most people into the most space they can pile on a hull without exceeding stability limits. It is a credit to the designers that the fire didn't spread. It is a disgrace that the most critical systems were all in the one engine room rather than isolated to prevent a fare in one compartment from damaging the machinery associated with heating, water, referigeration and auxiliary power systems. As for a cruise - Why. You can go to any night club, gift shop, swimming pool or other "attraction" on dry land for less and certainly not go to a place where you can be killed - Mexico. The economy cannot be that bad if people have the money to waste on such an excursion.

While anything is possible I don't see this ship sailing again for at least 3 weeks under the best case scenario. Worst case scenario a few months.

Agreed. But I am sure until the Carnival engineers can get on board they really won't have any idea what it is going to take to restore her.

My US passport was stolen in a burglary here in Belize. I went to get a replacement with no I D. After a few questions I was told I would get a new passport.

I am sure, if I was at the border, I would be fine. And under this circumstance, they know the what to expect as far as passports. They will be ready.

Will passengers not carrying passports have trouble crossing the U.S.-Mexico border?

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) states that while passengers on "closed loop" cruises (itineraries that sail roundtrip from the same U.S. homeport and only visit destinations in the Western Hemisphere) do not need passports, anyone crossing the border from Mexico into the U.S. by land needs a passport or other WHTI-compliant document (birth certificates and driver's licenses won't do). When asked how Splendor passengers not carrying passports will be able to cross the border by bus, Gulliksen told Cruise Critic that "we're working with the proper authorities to address this situation."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4213

Read on Carnival's site that there is no AC, no phone service and no hot meals for passengers. They were able to restore water so that the toilet systems are running and there is use of cold water.

Also read that the passengers will be getting a full refund, plus reimbursement for any additional transportation costs. Additionally they will receive a free cruise voucher in the amount of the cruise cost.

Sounds like a good deal to me. Don't get me wrong, sucks that their much awaited vacation was cut short and they are going through all this, but I would totally be happy with that compensation!

Cut short? More like it never got started:D

I redid my estimates, based on the latest Coast Guard release..

It will take them approximately 24 hours to tug the ship 80 miles into port.

If they do arrive at 8 PM EST, disembarkation and such will take till midnight at least, given the potential chaos. Being optimistic, the ship will be ready to be towed out in the AM if they choose (I suspect inspection first).

Using the best sea charts I could find online, it looks like about 430 miles tow to Long Beach. With calm seas and same pace, you would have to assume 5.5 days, so passengers on board is a definite no no.

That means, realistically the best case is the ship would arrive mid-day Monday the 15th. Even if they haven't officially canceled that sailing yet, I can't see anyway they would do it unless propulsion could be restored enroute. Even then, I would have to think there would be testing, etc. Nov 21 is still a theoretical possible, if the damage can be repaired in the water.

The coast Guard Inspection after repairs will take it another day or two. Thier Inspections require sea trials. The CG will go though everything completely, especially after a problem and they'll probably find new issues. The good thing is that when they do set sail again you can feel very comfortable the same thing won't happen again for a long time.

This has almost nothing to do with cruising, but do the following....

go to Google Maps.....get directions from Japan to China....then scroll down and read #43....:D:D:D

Technically, since cruise ships are on the ocean, this post is not off topic...:p

Also put in your home addy and read down about halfway...so funny!

Splendor Bride...I'd start putting an alternate plan in place. There is no way if they don't get power back of getting that ship back to Long Beach in time for the 11/14 sailing. I think your "redo the vows at sea" plan is a good one if you can do it! My husband and I got married on Windjammer down in the BVI and we almost did that very same thing -- they required us to arrive in the BVI 4 days before we sailed so the marriage would be legal and we weren't sure we could make it happen. We were just going to treat the "renewal" like a REAL wedding, even though LEGALLY we'd already by married. My wedding was an adventure nonetheless -- the "wedding planner" down there...FORGOT about me. Luckily her assistant was tracked down to save the day and help us get our paperwork done in Tortola (not an easy thing!). So...I have some experience with adventure weddings ;) And now my husband and I charter and sail there every year!

Anyway, like everybody else here, I admire your attitude! I hope you have a FANTASTIC wedding, wherever it takes place!

And I too will sail the Splendor again at some point!

Per the 11/14 roll call, Carnival has canceled this sailing.

They are giving full refunds and 25% off future cruise.

So sorry!

Toni

I want to hear the stories form these passengers that are on that ship. I bet a lot of them won't even want the free cruise voucher.

i wonder how many first time cruisers onboard that gave them a dash of fear to never cruise again. Kind of feel sorry for them and hopefully they will do another cruise to get rid of this

Splendor Bride...I'd start putting an alternate plan in place. There is no way if they don't get power back of getting that ship back to Long Beach in time for the 11/14 sailing.

If I remember correctly her cruise isn't until the middle of December. I think the 11/14 date came up because the PVP was saying her cruise will be fine because the 11/14 sailing hasn't been cancelled - definitely erroneous information but all the PVP had at that point.

My 2 cents........

Fire in the engine spaces is always wild, what make me think about is the restart of the fire in the same area, means that most probably there is some fuel oil or lube oil involved.

Besides that, looking at the ship power plant, with 3 generator, ship can run under own propulsion...... this make me think that somehow the electrical plant of shaft lines is affected too.

If this is the case it can be solved quickly.

Wouldn't this qualify as a Cruise to Nowhere?

The Passenger Services Act, however, does not prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from and returning to the same U.S. port or foreign-flagged ships departing from a U.S. port, visiting a foreign port, and then continuing to a second U.S. port. However, in order to embark in a US port and disembark in a second US port, the vessel must visit a distant foreign port outside of North America (Bermuda counts as part of North America). It does not prevent a ship from taking on passengers at a US port and then returning them to another U.S. city by ground or air, or vice versa, as long as the cruise ship returns to its departing point without stopping (a "cruise to nowhere"), or stops in at least one foreign port.

No, because the ship is going to dock in Ensenada. This isn't even a closed loop cruise. Those without passports are going to be delayed before getting back home.

no

I don't think so

I think this is all electrical and the original fire tore up the switch boards

a ship such as this loosing one generator is an inconvienence .. all the ship's power and all the ship's systems are electric. Loss of one of many generators means slow down . . . loss of distribution on the other hand

loosing the switchboard knocks out the ship . . .

but my opinion is only based on being the master of a ship in the ocean . . .

Doing nothing sounds like a great vacation to me. It is a welcomed respite from 14 hour work days.

I call BS on all these posts that say they would just love to be on this cruise. I really can't wait to hear from some passengers that were on board to hear what it was really like.

I call BS on all these posts that say they would just love to be on this cruise. I really can't wait to hear from some passengers that were on board to hear what it was really like.

No way I would. Their is gonna be some bad stories on the conditions and Carnivals handling of this.

How exactly are they going to dock in Ensenada? With no engines running, how do they stop a huge ship like this and then get it to move sideways to get lined up with the dock??? I wonder if they have worked it out yet. Just the docking process could take a few hours with no engines to manouver it...

Katherine

There is a new invention - called the tug boat. Here is a picture of one ...

MG_0230.jpg

No, because the ship is going to dock in Ensenada. This isn't even a closed loop cruise. Those without passports are going to be delayed before getting back home.

No they won't. US customs will clear the ship in Ensenada just as if it went back to Long Beach and then bus them home ins "sealed" buses. They will not even stop at the border.

no

I don't think so

I think this is all electrical and the original fire tore up the switch boards

a ship such as this loosing one generator is an inconvienence .. all the ship's power and all the ship's systems are electric. Loss of one of many generators means slow down . . . loss of distribution on the other hand

loosing the switchboard knocks out the ship . . .

but my opinion is only based on being the master of a ship in the ocean . . .

what would high pressure fire hoses spraying salt water do?

I agree on the BS. Most would love the refund and future free cruise but theres a price to pay for it. Those with kids would be understandably irritable and as time goes on most will be very anxious to get off the boat. It will be real interesting to read the posts from those on the ship. This is the toughest of situations for customer service to shine, I hope it does but really have my doubts, people are tough to please and many will complain just in hopes to get something more. (not to downplay any legitimate complaints, I'm just stating the nature of some)

I found a few pictures of the relief efforts and the Splendor just sitting there in the water.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/compacflt/with/5162689054/

Enjoy,

Scott

Based on the pictures of the ship, it looks like the damage is internal and not exterior like what happen to the Ecstasy years ago so hopefully it it just some wires and equipment

Archived