Splendor, Splendor, Splendor Combined Thread

ChaylaT

Personally I think its a GREAT IDEA that they are bringing the ship and the passengers to San Diego. living here next to the border I nor my family or ANYONE we know goes across the border anymore and honestly i'm SURPRISED that Carnival is still doing hawaii trips from ensenada.

jmo

~S

San Diego's Airport is very close to the cruise terminal (5 minute cab ride)....

May be of help for some of the passengers to make connections...

Originally Posted by Kel040 The way I see it, this will be one big insurance claim for the CCL. I am sure there would be Fire Insurance on the vessel itself, and some Business Interuption Coverage for lost revenue on this voyage and and future cancelled voyages.

Odds are that a company as Large as CCL would probably be self-insured, but I am sure we will hear...

Total agree - self insured except for those exposures requiring statutory coverage. It's a risk management technique, you know ;-)

http://www.wheretogonext.com/release.html?releaseID=139656

The impact of Carnival Corporation & plc self-insuring against various risks or its inability to obtain insurance for certain risks at reasonable rates; disruptions and other damages to Carnival Corporation & plc's information technology networks

I actually don't think the decision to tow the ship to San Diego, with the passengers aboard, is a good decision. It smells of a decision made with a primary view of the bottom line, not the passengers welfare.

The passengers would clearly be better off with only one more night at sea instead of two..

Is it possible, the Captian could have polled the passengers and asked them whether they wanted to take 2 nights to get back to the USA vs. 1 night and get off in MEXICO then be bussed ?? :confused:

Are they also flying in electricity for the toasters?:confused:

I wonder if spa- and warm beer go together?:cool:

SPAM??? OMG!! I can dig the pop tarts, but can't they come up with something better than SPAM?? UGH!!!

ABC News here in San Diego just aired that the Splendor was being towed here and would arrive approx noon on Thursday. Traveling at approx 1 mile per hour and was verified by the San Diego Port.

~S

If it is moving at 1 mile per hour it is going to take a lot longer than noon on Thursday. I believe it is actually making four knots, or about 4 1/2 miles per hour.

First, I sincerely want to extend my thoughts and prayers to all of those aboard this cruise, and their friends and families, and I wish the passengers a safe journey home.

Second, I am am a first time cruiser booked on a cruise in a couple of weeks on another line to the Bahamas. I originally joined this site to get an idea of how to prepare and what to expect as a "first timer" and have enjoyed reading the threads and the reviews here.

I have to say, I'm feeling completly selfish at the moment :( b/c hearing about what has happened on this cruise is freaking me the f**k out!!

I am looking for some advice or suggestions or "something" from the experienced cruisers here that would help me to decide what to do. I was looking forward to a relaxing vacation and now I am afraid I will not enjoy my trip b/c I will be fearing the worst.

I try not to be a "negative Nancy" but everything I've read here, from fires, to travel insurance (which I don't have) to passports (which I don't have, AGAIN) terrorists, and SPAM for dinner (AS IF ;)) is not helping me feel very good about having a relaxing vacation if something were to go wrong with the ship.

Is this normal??? I appreciate any constructive advice...

Don't worry. Things like this don't happen. You have no idea how many cruises are going on all the time and they go off without a hitch. This situation is extremely rare.

Your cruise is about relaxing and enjoying your time. Rest assured, all will be fine.

No, this is not normal at all. Inconveniences at sea do happen, and ports can change due to weather, but being dead at sea and cutting short a cruise is quite unusual. I wouldn't give it a second thought in the Bahamas. As an added bonus, the natives speak English.

First, I sincerely want to extend my thoughts and prayers to all of those aboard this cruise, and their friends and families, and I wish the passengers a safe journey home.

Second, I am am a first time cruiser booked on a cruise in a couple of weeks on another line to the Bahamas. I originally joined this site to get an idea of how to prepare and what to expect as a "first timer" and have enjoyed reading the threads and the reviews here.

I have to say, I'm feeling completly selfish at the moment :( b/c hearing about what has happened on this cruise is freaking me the f**k out!!

I am looking for some advice or suggestions or "something" from the experienced cruisers here that would help me to decide what to do. I was looking forward to a relaxing vacation and now I am afraid I will not enjoy my trip b/c I will be fearing the worst.

I try not to be a "negative Nancy" but everything I've read here, from fires, to travel insurance (which I don't have) to passports (which I don't have, AGAIN) terrorists, and SPAM for dinner (AS IF ;)) is not helping me feel very good about having a relaxing vacation if something were to go wrong with the ship.

The same risks for your cruise exist, the day you booked to today. It's not too late to get travel insurance. Do you get this nervous about flying when a plane you're not on has trouble? Personally, I think your fears sound irrational. This close to the US coast, I'd say terrorism/pirate fears are a bit of a long shot. Use google and search for the last time pirates were spotted in that part of the ocean.

I am booked on the January 9th sailing on the Splendor. I called today to see if I could switch to the Dream leaving on the 8th. My PVP said the Splendor would be repaired in 1-2 weeks tops. I asked him "Are you sure?". He said, "Let me check and call you back". He did and when he called back said that he was 100% certain that the Splendor would be fixed within 2 weeks. Now I don't know who he spoke to or if this is just Carnival's plan to control the public panic but thought I'd share that with you.

No damage assessment and the PVP (who are usually the last to know) knows how long the repairs will take. :confused: Next time you speak to this PVP, get the winning lottery numbers, 'cause this guy must have some crystal ball. :rolleyes:

arenee137 - please don't get yourself all upset. I'm sure your Bahamas cruise will be just fine. Thousands of passengers are sailing every week of the year, with nothing untoward happening. You're definitely safer on a cruise ship than on your local highways!

Relax and have a great cruise.

Brigitte

Believe me, there are some terrible jobs out there where I can believe this to be true. Not everyone has the pleasure of a decent job. I have plenty of people under me at work who work on the average of a 15 hour day. No break. They are on their feet the whole time making sure their job is getting done correctly. I would bet any of these people who work this type of job would not care where they were as long as they were off work. Don't tell them to go get another job, because there is nothing out there in my neck of the woods.

Eating cold food and going to the bathroom in a bucket for a few days is not going to kill anyone. Doesn't anyone camp anymore??

So you run a sweat shop in China?

So how will this work with Jones Act? Didn't they leave out of LA, and are now going to San Diego? Isn't it $400 per person, or roughly $1.6 million?

Well, if they left out of a US port and return to a US port, even a different one without touching land, they might get a hardship pass if it did.

If it is moving at 1 mile per hour it is going to take a lot longer than noon on Thursday. I believe it is actually making four knots, or about 4 1/2 miles per hour.

I read somewhere they have one tug pulling right now, and there are two more tugs enroute, thus, once the others are hooked up, it will make a bit faster progress.

Archived