tv channels

amonkeybutt

Boat drill is at 4-4.30, sailaway is at 5...

...you're going to want to get unpacked and get ready for dinner - and the ship doesn't get ABC anyway.

You can sit around and watch a game on TV anytime - How many times in your life do you get to go on a cruise?

TV, as you know it, does not exist on HAL ships. In fact, after the first day you won't bother with it unless you are into reruns of 20 year old shows.

I really don't miss it as there are so many other ways to enjoy a cruise vaction than watching TV. Get a friend to record the game for you so you won't miss out. Just don't check the score online while you are away.

Channel 26 - On Board Services

Channel 27 - CNN -- International - based in london

Channel 28 - Shore Excursions

Channel 29 - ESPN

Channel 30 - Discovery

Channel 31 - TNT

Channel 32 - Bomerang (children's programs - some ared in Spanish)

Channel 33 - Explorations

Channel 34 - Movies 1

Channel 35 - Movies 2

Channel 36 - Film Festival Movies

Channel 37 - ESPN-2

Channel 38 - Port & Shopping

Channel 39 - Turner Classic Movies

Channel 40 - Ship Weather & Port Information (a technician came on board on Nov 22 and got this feature up and running)

Channel 41 - TV Guide - with background music of the 50's and 60's

Channel 42 - Music 1 - Classical

Channel 43 - Music 2 - Country

Channel 44 - Bow Camera - with background music of Jazz

Channel 45 - Aft Camera - with background Top 40 background music

TV, as you know it, does not exist on HAL ships. In fact, after the first day you won't bother with it unless you are into reruns of 20 year old shows.

I really don't miss it as there are so many other ways to enjoy a cruise vaction than watching TV. Get a friend to record the game for you so you won't miss out. Just don't check the score online while you are away.

That is a true statement as KK list shows! They do show a lot of soccer.

Kirk

Option #1: The bar might have the game on as it seems they have a few additional cable sports channels available in there as opposed to the rooms. If they can tune it in I'm sure the Bartender will accomodate you.

Option #2: Go buy a $10 rabbit ear antenna and plug it into the back of your rooms TV set, provided it has a digital tuner you should be able to receive the local ABC affiliate in Ft. Lauderdale which is Channel 10. You should be able to receive the station until about 8:00 PM since the station is also viewable in the Bahamas. A word of warning, televised college football is regional. If there is a Florida team playing at the same time chances are it will be on the channel instead of the West Coast team.

The channel lineup that was posted in this thread should be accurate fleet-wide.

Amen to that! I was on the Oosterdam the second week of June, during the World Cup, and that's all CNN International could talk about plus what was showing on the ESPN channels!

Imagine that! Lots of football coverage on a sports channel during the WC which is held every four years! :D The world's largest sporting spectacle after the Olympics garners that kind of attention, though just why is a question I've been asked by more than a few American friends who aren't football types.

You will not know the answer until the game starts. Not to get your homes up but I was able to see the OU vs. TTech game 2 years ago in my room on ESPN. It was the ABC evening game but was picked up by the Noordam. It was not announced, i returned from dinner and the game was on the television. I have been on HAL 3 times during the MNC game, first time it was shown, second time ESPN showed the previews and then no game but soccer, third time the CD let us use the internet to hear the game LIVE but no picture. Point is that it is a crap shoot but you just may get lucky.

Imagine that! Lots of football coverage on a sports channel during the WC which is held every four years! :D The world's largest sporting spectacle after the Olympics garners that kind of attention, though just why is a question I've been asked by more than a few American friends who aren't football types.

Yes, it is the most popular sport in the world - but I can tell you that all week - all I heard - was complaints from all the Americans cruising in Alaska! :p

thanks everyone for the helpful answers! i'm going to call ship services and see what channels the bars get. we thought about the rabbit ear thing too, i think we'll bring it for backup.

btw, i'm a "she" who loves her ducks football!!! the game is ducks vs beavs which is civil war and always nail-biting. the beavs would love to knock the ducks out of the BCS championship game if possible.

My point was that even if the channel w/ the game is available - He's gonna be mighty busy while it's on.

Gotcha. ;) Fair enough. Just seemed that she was perhaps about to be lambasted for wanting to 'watch the game' whilest being on a cruise.

I have a lot of friends who are unbelievably 'rabid' when it comes to their local teams, and will oftentimes schedule their vacations around game time. Yes, *I* think that's crazy for a game to dictate vacation time....but hey, to each his own.

*Edited to add:

I see that my original post ...which you have quoted -"and this answers his question how?"- has for some strange reason, been misplaced? Very curious, indeed.

thanks everyone for the helpful answers! i'm going to call ship services and see what channels the bars get. we thought about the rabbit ear thing too, i think we'll bring it for backup.

btw, i'm a "she" who loves her ducks football!!! the game is ducks vs beavs which is civil war and always nail-biting. the beavs would love to knock the ducks out of the BCS championship game if possible.

Just a thought.....if the flat screens are monitors only then rabbit ears will do no good. No tuner, no over the air picture. :confused:

Yes, it is the most popular sport in the world - but I can tell you that all week - all I heard - was complaints from all the Americans cruising in Alaska! :p

Complaints from Americans is nothing new. I mean about the football coverage, of course. :D ;)

Just a thought.....if the flat screens are monitors only then rabbit ears will do no good. No tuner, no over the air picture. :confused:

No they should be regular TV's, My issue is whether they are ATSC tuners or the older type since the US is all digital now.

Archived