Cruising The Mediterranean.

Saz

My husband and I are thinking of doing the Cruise listed below next year.

Could someone tell us whether Dec/Jan is a good time of the year to be cruising the Mediterranean and what sort of weather we would encounter at the various ports of call.

Thank you,

SAZ.

Day

Arrival

Departure

Monday, December 19, 2011

Southampton, England

--

--

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

At Sea

--

--

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

At Sea

--

--

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Lisbon, Portugal

--

--

Friday, December 23, 2011

Seville (cadiz), Spain

--

--

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Cartagena, Spain

--

--

Sunday, December 25, 2011

At Sea

--

--

Monday, December 26, 2011

At Sea

--

--

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Valletta, Malta

--

--

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Capri/naples, Italy

--

--

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Rome, Civitavecchia, Italy

--

--

Friday, December 30, 2011

Toulon

--

--

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Barcelona, Spain

--

--

Sunday, January 1, 2012

At Sea

--

--

Monday, January 2, 2012

Gibraltar

--

--

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

At Sea

--

--

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

At Sea

--

--

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Southampton, England

--

--

It's certainly not the best time for the Med but it's always gonna be better than home weather. We have booked Adonia for same time so it can't be that bad.

It's all down to luck. We've just done Transatlantic and the crossing was not good at all, resulting in seasickness for me. Last year the October Transatlantic cruisers had great weather. Luck!

The Bay of Biscay might be frisky, but it's a bit like childbirth - soon forgotten and you go on to have more!!!:)

it's a good itenerary.

caryl

Hi Caryl,

Thanks for your input. Shall continue to monitor this page for further opinions prior to booking this cruise.

I have to agree with you about the Bay of Biscay. We experienced fairly rough seas on one of our previous cruises on the QE2 albeit for only 10/12 hours during the month of May. After that it was smooth sailing in extremely calm waters.

Thanks again,

SAZ.

As said, the Bay of Biscay may be a little touchy during winter months, having said that we cruised the North Sea in December and it was as flat as a mirror. so you may be lucky. Temperature wise, I have been to San Sebastian in very Northern Spain in January and the weather was like a warm spring day in the UK, again you will be relying on an element of luck. Lisbon, Seville, Cartagena and Malta could be very nice. Last winter Rome had snow, I think the first time in a number of years. Winter cruising in the northern hesphere, I beleive, you have to have an element of luck with the weather, although dressed appropriately could be a very nice cruise.

Thanks Geoff & Sally.

We've still got plenty of time to consider whether it would be worthwhile booking this cruise or looking at a similar type cruise in September or October.

Thanks again,

SAZ.

Hi

We did Cadiz in 09 on Arcadia, I looked at a few reviews on the place most said wander the city walls on your right as you leave the port which we did. They where a bit dirty but we carried on to a nice park and then out to a fort by the sea which was closed and being renovated. I think from memory Cadiz is city of culture next year. On the day we docked there was a holiday with parades of kids in spanish dress marching to the churches with drummers, believe me nothing compares to the noise of those drums in the thin alley ways.

December / January in the Med could be nice, could be awful. However, you do get the mistral blowing from the north down through France and Corsica, Palma etc. We were in the Med on Artemis in September 2009 and the worst weather we had was in that area. Force 9 gale, so you just can't tell.

Personally if I was going to book a Med cruise I would go in our summer months (Mid -May until end of September). In Australia its your summer in January so you will be replacing that with cool,perhaps wet weather in the Med, and the serious chance or bad weather at sea especially over the Bay.

Can't understand why anyone would want to cruise in the winter months for 2 weeks in that area, The only cruise I'd consider would be the Caribbean in January.

You mention September, that could be quite a nice time to go and catch the end of the summer, with reasonable temps in the 70's.

I tend to agree with Libralass as we have had disappointing weather on land holidays in the Med even early spring and late autumn. If I had a choice, I would avoid winter months, though I know they have some lovely bright days year round.

It depends what you want to do, but I think the sights, sounds and outdoor lifestyle of the Med are best enjoyed in warm sunshine. :)

Archived