Internet upgrade on Nautica

loulou942

Here's what they didn't tell you. Oceania has sub-contracted its internet cafe. On Nautica there is no appreciable improvement in wireless access and speed particularly in staterooms. When Oceania operated their own system you could upgrade your package during the cruise but not any more. If you ran out of minutes before the end of the cruise your cost would continue to be the rate for your plan but now you have to buy a new plan. The email only plan used to cost $2 to send, $2 to receive and no charge for time. Now you pay $4 to send, nothing to receive but you are charged for time to compose and send at 95 cents a minute. Given the time to get on the net a short email could easily cost $6 to $8. You might be better off accessing your own ISP via the web paying the 95 cents a minute. Unless you use your own computer it does not appear to be possible to compose and get everything ready off-line. Computer and photo editing classes always seemed to be full so they must have been popular so why did Oceania decide not to offer them any more? On balance the upgrade is just not worth it; the internet experience is even less satisfying than it used to be.

I found the speed to be much better although it did require me prop open the door to the hallway with the garbage can and sit near the opening in order to get a decent signal. It was still slow compared to home but I wouldn't expect those speeds while at sea.

I'm certainly sorry to hear that report. I have always used the internet on board, bought a package, used my own computer. I may vote with my feet as to the new policies. I'll have my computer with me, I just won't go on the internet.

It was always expensive ... their improvements seem to have made it even more so.

Archived