Kauai Dilemma

dleighb

We will be in Kauai on December 23 and 24th. I have a helicopter ride booked the morning of the 24th.

For the 23rd though, we aren't sure what to do. By the time I decided to rent a car, I can't seem to find one available. If anyone can list the companies that operate out of Kauai, maybe I can find a way to check directly with the rental companies.

If a car rental is out of the question, what options do we have for the day in Kauai? I know we can do the ships shore excursion or Roberts excursion to the canyon and Fern Grotto, but that one does not interest us all that much. What other recommendations are there? Looks like everything that I would like to do is on the North Side of the island.

Thanks!

We are going on Waimea Canyon in the morning with Robert's then to the Smith Family Luau in th evening. That will give us a few hours to relax on the ship or shop nearby in between the two activities. I know the canyon wasn't on your wish list, but it will be a relaxing day. Of course, working around the luau is a priority for us. Good luck with your plans!

dleighb,

You may want to contact

rentals@discounthawaiicarrental.com They may be able to get you a reservation. If that doesn't work you may want to call Thrifty Hawaii at 1-800-367-5238.

If all else fails I hear there is a nice beach near the dock called Kalapaki Beach. They have a shuttle that runs from the ship.

Have a great trip!

Kauai Movie Tours (just do a google search) is a great option on Kauai. I believe some of the cruise lines offer their tours. If not, you can book them on your own and they will pick you up at the pier. The tour visits areas of the island where famous movies were filmed. Theys show you clips of the movie on the small van and then take you to the different sights. Along the way, you will see and stop at many of the beautiful spots on the island. The tour is a little expensive, but it is a full day tour. This tour offers a great overview of the island, a good lunch on a beautiful beach, and lots of fun. We have taken this tour twice!!

Thank you! I called Thrifty Hawaii direct and they have 2 smaller cars. I think that we can split into 3 and 3 and be all right. We may not be together but at least we have transportation to the north side of the island where we want to go..

• 3 weeks later...
We are going on Waimea Canyon in the morning with Robert's then to the Smith Family Luau in th evening. That will give us a few hours to relax on the ship or shop nearby in between the two activities. I know the canyon wasn't on your wish list, but it will be a relaxing day. Of course, working around the luau is a priority for us. Good luck with your plans!

I have a question for you--what made you choose Smith Family luau over a luau on Maui?

This is a very helpful post of reminding others, to make car reservations early. They require no deposit and can be easily canceled.

And another idea would be to check back for rental cars closer to the date as people start canceling some of those early reservations. :)

To the OP, if you are unable to get a car do consider doing an excursion to Waimea Canyon as it is worth a visit.

I have a question for you--what made you choose Smith Family luau over a luau on Maui?

It just worked better for us with timing. We will be spending Sunday evening with a cousin and his wife who live in Maui and wanted to spend the time visiting with them rather than sitting in a luau. Also, the guys wanted to see the fire dancers and the OLL does not do this. The reviews I have read on the Smith Family Luau have all been good. I am excited to see it!:cool:

It just worked better for us with timing. We will be spending Sunday evening with a cousin and his wife who live in Maui and wanted to spend the time visiting with them rather than sitting in a luau. Also, the guys wanted to see the fire dancers and the OLL does not do this. The reviews I have read on the Smith Family Luau have all been good. I am excited to see it!:cool:

That's my problem--the reviews I've read aren't all good. :rolleyes:

You absolutely "need" to spend time visiting with family, I would choose the same way you did. Smith family is not only cheaper and has the fire dancers, but fits better with our Maui plans, but I am having a hard time deciding between Smith family and Feast at Lele.:o

Archived