Are you as mad as me about the price gouging?

jandjfun

I think what is happeneing is people have the time off scheduled already. For those that are not retired and can go whenever, it is more difficult with work and school schedules.

Not to mention you wait months for a vacation, of course you want to go when you planned.

Toni

So you do something else with your vacation and cruise (using your 25%) some other time. This isn't rocket science.

I was booked on Fantasy that was cancelled and replaced by Triumph. Carnival offered $50 off the price period .. at the higher Triumph rate.

Or a refund.

I know you have 2 years (not 1) to use the 25% credit .. and Im one who is still confused, .. is this all over the fact you want to book only one ship, one exact week ..or is there other money you are out?

Our vacation time was set for these dates so we needed to find a cruise with dates VERY close to this. The west coast only has two ships that do 7 day voyages. The Splendor and the Spirit. Like I said before, the spirit interior were 1009.00 per person. It's sold out now though.

I have been at this computer for 2 1/2 solid days looking for something else to do. I looked at cruises from the East Coast and Galveston, the airfare 9 days out is not affordable for us.

My anger comes from all the reasons I stated above, but mostly because of the price gouging that Carnival did. Now that the sailings are sold out at the higher rates, they say they want to price match now. (according to some of you).

Yes we are out several hundred dollars. Carnival is paying us 100.00 for a 350.00 air ticket. They are paying us 100.00 for a 148.00 dollar air ticket.

and of course that 200.00 is in OBC. So we are out 300.00 cash, and we have 200.00 OBC and I'm sorry, airlines don't care for it when you try to pay them in OBC from Carnival.

So you do something else with your vacation and cruise (using your 25%) some other time. This isn't rocket science.

OK, I have spent two days trying to find something else to do. You give it a try.

We have no money because Carnvial has it. Our vacation starts on Nov. 28th and is over on Dec. 5.

We can transfer the cruise money to another cruise. So you have 840.00 to find us a cruise. You have an airline ticket to Long beach CA.

Go for it!

This also begs the question....

the people who are throwing a hissy fit to have the exact same cruise, on the same day for the same price.....

are they going to give up the 25% discount .... since they are no longer inconvenienced?

Anyone want to lay odds they want "everything their way" PLUS the 25% discount?

Lets see...how many 7day cruises does Carnival run out of Long Beach...NONE!!! So there is NO WAY to get the exact cruise, no matter what you are changing ports...so yes an inconveinience. Many of us had hotels and transportation already booked.

I tried to rebook on the Paradise for a 4day cruise...Carnival froze bookings until the price was raised...we could get 2 inside and 1 oceanview for about the same price as we paid for our Splendor cruise...Im sorry but that does not equal 2 balconies and and inside on the Splendor...smaller ship crappy ports...I refused to pay that!

We are now going to Disneyland...no other options for us to salvage the vacation. With kids school breaks and vacation days, we just dont have the option of booking another time.

We could not even change our flights for a shorter vacation as Carnival would only offer an OBC...hmm not going to be onboard!!!

It is what it is, I am trying to get over not having the vacation I planned for. I am lucky and we are able to cruise frequently, so I know I will be able to use my 25% off on a future cruise.

Am I happy with Carnival...NO! Will I sail them again...more than likely.

Please just be kinder to those that are struggeling with these changes...not allowing us to vent or be angry over the situation is unfair!!! We are not looking for a free ride, but we should not have to pay more for the same vacation either...4days to plan a new holiday vacation is not much time!

What I am "mad" about is you felt the need to start a new thread about the Splendor compensation...oh yes, plus the fact you've posted the same thing on ALL the other threads. Take my suggestion and channel that energy into something positive...life is too short, way too short.

Seriously!

I'm sick of hearing about gouging. Prices are ALWAYS up closer to the cruise date especially when sales are high. Considering so many Splendor dates were cancelled, sales are probably very high and high volume always results in higher fares.

Do something else duing your allotted vacation week and book a cruise with your 25% discount another time.

FTLOG :rolleyes:

If you are as mad as I am about the price gouging and the way Carnival is handling canceled guest then you should do what I did and contact Good Morning America.

http://abcnews.go.com/Site/page?id=3...ning%20America

here is the link, and I used "submit a news item" in the drop down menu

This link should work. But if it doesn't

1. search "good morning America"

2. click on Consumer

3. scroll to the bottom of the page (blue section)

4. click on Contact us

5. Click on Contact Good Morning America

6. Fill in the form.

I am not mad at Carnival for canceling the cruises on the Splendor. It had to be done. But they way they handled it was wrong!

Not allowing us to cancel and transfer the booking to another ship without penalty and then 5 days later, they cancel our cruises and that same minute the prices double and triple on the other sailings! That is price gouging at it's finest. I know all about supply and demand and the computers probably reacting to a sudden onset of cruises getting rebooked, but when we called in, we should have been allowed to rebook at the price the cruise was the day before!

I am not aking for anything for free. Just fair!

All I can is WOW! Carnival did an exceptional job in handling the situation on the cancelled cruises especially giving a 25% discount. To run to GMA....WOW! Seems very petty to complain when you think of those that were actually on the Ship at the time of the problem and all that the passengers, crew and leadership on board endured and how they handled the situation. Shame on you!!!

You posted on another thread how your Sister "surprised" you with this cruise a few weeks ago. Take your 25% and be happy and plan a cruise months out to look forward to like many who's cruise plans were cancelled when they booked six months ago, etc.

P.S. Read John Heald's blogs!!!

OK, I have spent two days trying to find something else to do. You give it a try.

We have no money because Carnvial has it. Our vacation starts on Nov. 28th and is over on Dec. 5.

We can transfer the cruise money to another cruise. So you have 840.00 to find us a cruise. You have an airline ticket to Long beach CA.

Go for it!

I was to sail on the Carnival Celebration in August, 2006. It ran aground in the Bahamas 5 days before we were to leave. Carnival cancelled our cruise 3 days before we left. It took almost 2 weeks to get our money back. We ended up using our airline tickets to FL and made a vacation out of it!! Just went with the flow and made the best of it

Anyone who does not want to pay any additional funds....

don't book the cruise.

simple.....no one is putting a gun to your head and FORCING you to book a cruise.

Carnival does not OWE anyone the same cruise at the same price for the same day. That is ridiculous.

You got your money back.... you have at least a year (maybe more) to use the 25%.....

Do the very same thing we did when our holiday cruise was cancelled because the ships were being used for Katrina......

we booked a cruise 6 or 7 months later.....period.

Hey kicking people while they're down sure is fun, right?

I'll have a bit more sympathy for the OP, because I'd be disgruntled also.

For many of us, planning a vacation is not as simple as throwing a dart at a calendar, or spinning a globe then stopping it with your finger. The OP invested time and effort finding the right vacation, taking time off from work, booking flights, etc. Now she's trying to salvage that vacation, and she's finding that it might not be possible, or that she might have to pay a substantial amount more for the trip she's been looking forward to and saving her hard-earned money for.

Letting her blow off a little steam without throwing in your Carnival-fanboy's opinions might be a more mature option.

OP, good luck with everything and let us know what happens.

Go for it!

Sorry, can't help you. Being dependent on a refund like that is beyond the realm of my experience.

Sorry, can't help you. Being dependent on a refund like that is beyond the realm of my experience.

EXACTLY!!! See, you really shouldn't just make a statement like "well, just do something else" until you stand in someone elses shoes!

What I am "mad" about is you felt the need to start a new thread about the Splendor compensation...oh yes, plus the fact you've posted the same thing on ALL the other threads. Take my suggestion and channel that energy into something positive...life is too short, way too short.

Perfect reply

Although we were not booked on a cancelled Splendor cruise, we were hit by the sudden increase in prices.

We have been booked on the Spirit for a January cruise (for 289 pp for an interior). Our son had to wait to get the time off, and just got it on Monday night. We had checked Monday afternoon when it looked like he was going to be able to go - 309 pp for a past guest rate, interior. When we called Tuesday morning (after the announcement that the Splendor cruises were cancelled), the rate was 579! No past guest rate available.

Our PVP said there was nothing he could do, although he quoted us the 309 the day before. He said he was pretty surprised that they would jump that much.

We are used to price fluctuations based upon the ship filling up, but this was ridiculous!

Janet, there are a lot of cruises from the East Coast for around $400 that week. What about doing that? The Legend out of Tampa is around $500.

I honestly don't think Carnival is price gouging. There aren't any other ships out of CA so things sell out. It's close to the sail date so it is what it is. Should you be disappointed? Absolutely. But going to GMA - absolutely not!

I guess you were born rich then, bigshot. Not all of us are so lucky. If its outside your realm of experience, then your opinion is completely worthless. Thanks anyways

All I can is WOW! Carnival did an exceptional job in handling the situation on the cancelled cruises especially giving a 25% discount. To run to GMA....WOW! Seems very petty to complain when you think of those that were actually on the Ship at the time of the problem and all that the passengers, crew and leadership on board endured and how they handled the situation. Shame on you!!!

You posted on another thread how your Sister "surprised" you with this cruise a few weeks ago. Take your 25% and be happy and plan a cruise months out to look forward to like many who's cruise plans were cancelled when they booked six months ago, etc.

P.S. Read John Heald's blogs!!!

My sister did surprise me with this cruise for my birthday. What does that have to do with anything? Does the fact that my sister paid for my cruise make it OK for Carnvial to price gouge?

And I do read Johns Blog, AGAIN, what does that have to do with anything. GEEZ, shame on me? Shame on Carnival!!

Hey kicking people while they're down sure is fun, right?

I'll have a bit more sympathy for the OP, because I'd be disgruntled also.

For many of us, planning a vacation is not as simple as throwing a dart at a calendar, or spinning a globe then stopping it with your finger. The OP invested time and effort finding the right vacation, taking time off from work, booking flights, etc. Now she's trying to salvage that vacation, and she's finding that it might not be possible, or that she might have to pay a substantial amount more for the trip she's been looking forward to and saving her hard-earned money for.

Letting her blow off a little steam without throwing in your Carnival-fanboy's opinions might be a more mature option.

OP, good luck with everything and let us know what happens.

Thank you. And I am not just speaking for myself when I post about this. I am speaking for all those that I have read in the last three days. Some have it harder than others, but we all got gouged! Well, those that rebooked at the higher prices anyway.

Why would you be mad because I started a new thread. Did that cause you pain? And besides, I am not mad about or complaining about the compensation. If you read my first post, This thread is about price gouging!

I posted this information on all the threads so everyone can see it. Some have stopped reading the other threads, so I started a new one with a new subject.

Big corporations do wrong things. They do it and get away with it because people roll over like wounded dogs and let them get away with it. I am not one of those wounded dogs. Price gouging is wrong, and I'm going to stand up and say so!

I guess you were born rich then, bigshot. Not all of us are so lucky. If its outside your realm of experience, then your opinion is completely worthless. Thanks anyways

Not rich at all, I just refuse to allows credit card companies to gouge me with there userous interest rates and always save then buy then pay off the CC right away. Money management 101.

Price only went up on one ship that I saw probally cause it is almost Tull and thru want to spread the guests out.... This is smart business for those of you that need to be so negative you probally should stay home:mad: carnival has been exceptional

I guess I should of said almost full and they want to spread guests out on all the boats and to me this sounds like good business for them and guests on the ships so quit forgetting about all the positive carnival has done .... Which I believe is more than what most companies would do:eek:

Janet, there are a lot of cruises from the East Coast for around $400 that week. What about doing that? The Legend out of Tampa is around $500.

I honestly don't think Carnival is price gouging. There aren't any other ships out of CA so things sell out. It's close to the sail date so it is what it is. Should you be disappointed? Absolutely. But going to GMA - absolutely not!

We don't have and can't afford the airfare to the East coast. The cheapest we could find was 500.00 per ticket. Not an option. But thanks.

As far as not going to GMA, since you don't believe they price gouged us, it makes sense that you wouldn't think it necessary.

However, I do believe they price gouged us. I was watching the prices for the Spirit as well as others for 5 days. I can tell you that the price doubled on some and tripled on others just before the cancelation notice.

Price only went up on one ship that I saw probally cause it is almost Tull and thru want to spread the guests out.... This is smart business for those of you that need to be so negative you probally should stay home:mad: carnival has been exceptional

That you saw! Have you been reading cruise critic? A ton of people have stated that their cruises went way up! But because you didn't see it, it must not be true.

Archived