RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

Oh just reading my old post again made me laugh! Going nuts at the office today & listening to people complain. This was the perfect tension breaker!!! I told my dad about this post too. He nearly wet his pants!

-Ria

Edited by Pack My Bags

It appears that I have hit upon a cultural nerve. Which was most certainly not my intention. I know only too well from these boards that Americans do not appreciate criticism of their ways and customs.

It only takes a "few minutes" for my food to get cold while you are sitting there not eating.

At times the Windjammer is extraordinarily busy - I appreciate that it is clearly acceptable in your culture, it is quite rude in ours.

Good opportunity for you to practice cultural sensitivity. I think it is counterproductive to cruise around the room carrying all your food which then gets cold, trying to balance any coat or bag you might have brought. It is much more sensible to establish a base. However I will not consider you rude if you don't do things my way and you should think about doing the same.

Probably controversial but....

All service charges (tips) are optional including 15% bar service charge and can be adjusted on board. This is contained within the brochure so probably not a secret as RCI do tell you, but many probably do not read it.

However any VAT charged is not (added to many European cruises due to Spanish law) - so removing the 15% and perhaps adding a cash tip is an option to balance out the cost compared to drinks prices on US cruises.

If you have prepaid the service charge for the stateroom attendant, waiter etc., then you can only have this reversed prior to the issuing of the vouchers. But hopefully this will not be necessary as many of these staff work hard and deserve their tips (although would probably appreciate tips in say Euro's in Europe as otherwise they would need to change up any dollars).

RCI secrets they don't tell you.....Um, well, men should wear clean underwear to The Quest.

Underwear?????(I thought this was a vacation!)

And don't forget your cigar cutter.

Hi Elvis, how's Priscilla? 'Bout time to head for the Summer Graceland?

Don't let the guys with monkeys get anywhere near you. Big scam. Just head the other way.

OK, gotta ask - Why?

Several guys have 3-4 Green Vervet monkey babies on leashes. They walk up, put them on your shoulders and head and then offer to take picture. Since they are in the port shops plaza it is easy to assume they are "official". Not so. When done then then harrass you for a $20 service fee for using their monkeys and them taking photo. It's easier to plead empty pockets or just give them a couple bucks to go away.

Also, when researching this little scam afterward I came across many reports of cruelty and abuse. Certainly born out when I saw the guy slap one of them silly for misbehaving.

I have combined the tips for bringing a night light and a glade plug in into one and buy the glade that comes with a light. It helps when I wake up in the middle of the night wondering "where am I?" and the scent is good, especially if the last guests didn't leave such a fresh scent.

Just a quick funny story about the day-of-the-week elevator plates. Years ago, we were on an elevator when a young couple walked in. The woman said, "Hmmm, it looks like all the elevators have names? This one is Tuesday." Her boyfriend or husband replied "You're right! The one we were on yesterday was Monday." :eek: I would have tried to explain it to them, but I was speechless. One thing for sure though, they were meant for each other!

Read your post to my husband, and we just roared. Hubby's response: "I want to ride on the one that always says "Monday"!" :D

Your comment said it all. :)Thanks for the great belly laugh!

Several guys have 3-4 Green Vervet monkey babies on leashes. They walk up, put them on your shoulders and head and then offer to take picture. Since they are in the port shops plaza it is easy to assume they are "official". Not so. When done then then harrass you for a $20 service fee for using their monkeys and them taking photo. It's easier to plead empty pockets or just give them a couple bucks to go away.

Also, when researching this little scam afterward I came across many reports of cruelty and abuse. Certainly born out when I saw the guy slap one of them silly for misbehaving.

YIKES!!!... I think the last thing I want is a monkey placed on my shoulder that is PO'd because he was slapped silly.

Just a quick funny story about the day-of-the-week elevator plates. Years ago, we were on an elevator when a young couple walked in. The woman said, "Hmmm, it looks like all the elevators have names? This one is Tuesday." Her boyfriend or husband replied "You're right! The one we were on yesterday was Monday." :eek: I would have tried to explain it to them, but I was speechless. One thing for sure though, they were meant for each other!

That is hilarious. I wouldn't have explained it either. Sometimes, you just have to allow people to be the comedians they don't know they are. :D

On the Voyager:

1. The best place to lay out is at the back of the ship near the Adventure Ocean kids section. It is quiet, hardly anyone goes there (i.e. no chair hogs), and it is sheltered from the wind. Plus you get to watch the sea birds following in the wake of the ship.

2. If you want to eat your windjammer food outside, again, the Adventure Ocean has chairs and tables. This is where we usually end up eating whenever they have the outdoor buffets.

3. The men's room near the windjammer has a waterfall urinal.

4. The stairs are a great way to work off all the food you eat during the week. Last time, I actually lost weight during the cruise because we never took the elevators.

5. The gym is a good place to catch some sporting events on tv that may not be shown elsewhere.

6. Another shout out for the MDR salad bar! The best salad I have ever had was in the MDR during lunch. I must have had at least 7 different cheeses in it!!!

7. The little poppyseed rolls are called 'Savory Bites'.

8. Most of the desserts served in the MDR are on the Windjammer buffet as well.

9. The promenade cafe is open on embarkation day. Skip the Windjammer and grab pizza and sandwiches instead! (sorry, still not a fan of the honey stung chicken). :p

and another secret that they dont tell you...

10. The algae fat burning spa treatment is a big ripoff!!!!

This is for Pack My Bags post in Feb 2011 -

You brought tears to my eyes reading your post. My husband uses a scooter and is apprehensive of the crowds onboard. Most times, people are nice, but we met up with several rude people on our last cruise (Nov. 2007). I loved hearing your story of how wonderful the staff is - can make up for the rude passengers.

Edited by eisco17
This is for Pack My Bags post in Feb 2011

Eisco-- thank you so much. I have written several posts regarding the treatment we received on our last cruise on multiple boards I had to gobback & find which one. I cannot fathom the petty things people complain about while cruising. Preposterous!!?! Just because you are on a well-deserved vacation does not entitle people to disregard courtesy, patience and simple manners. I do hope my post encourages you to cruise again real soon!

If people are wondering about the post, here it is again....

It was in response to someone advising to save $$ on board for spending instead of overtipping.

I must seriously disagree with this. They work their butts off for you. I just came off the Explorer. My DM is not only blind, but cannot walk well. The My Time Dining attendant booked us a nice table close by, in a nice corner by the railing so it was easy for her to navigate with her cane. He held it for us EVERY DAY. Every evening we would find the next day's compass & the next evening's dinner menu on the bed printed IN BRAILLE. In the dining room, the waiters would "announce" they were reaching in to lay out her napkin and bring/remove her plates. At night when I would walk to the room & have water in my hands & my mom walking latched on my arm, they would run ahead of me to key into the stateroom. The tender crew could not have been more helpful either.

A great trip is not about the deal you get on board for a bottle of vodka or another $20 you blew in a slot machine. It is these little touches that make your trip more meaningful, and in our case, liberating. Besides mentioning their names in the customer survey, service like this needs to be acknowledged. It's the proper way to say thank you & job well done!

• 1 month later...
So, on a crowded ship, the elevators get a little crazy....

Tip 1:

When you want to travel several floors without picking up extra folk along the way, hold your floor selection button and the "door close" button at the same time until the doors close. Then you'll travel in "priority" mode.

Interesting tip, bet I would get some stares from others who also get on at the same time as me. I can't recall getting onto to an empty elevator to try this. But good to know just in case of an emergency.

I will admit to trying this (out of curiosity) - but I think it is an old wives tail as certainly did not work on the Liberty.

So, on a crowded ship, the elevators get a little crazy....

Tip 1:

When you want to travel several floors without picking up extra folk along the way, hold your floor selection button and the "door close" button at the same time until the doors close. Then you'll travel in "priority" mode.

This is a selfish thing to do.

Would you like to stand and wait for an elevator because someone is doing it to you?

I can add a small tip. If you don't want to do the plug in thing you can take a little bottle of Febreeze.They sell them in the little travel items section at Walmart of Target. Also helps for anything stinky that happens in your room.

I will admit to trying this (out of curiosity) - but I think it is an old wives tail as certainly did not work on the Liberty.

On one of the cable shows about elevators, they stated that the "close door" button wasn't connected and was just put there for the riders to think they had some control.:)

Be polite and don't be a "ghost rider".

Edited by cruzincurt

We just booked our first cruise on RCCL and I have loved reading MOST of the tips that others have provided but this tip seems really rude to me. It's one that I will definitely not be using and I hope others feel the same way.

I'LL TELL YOU WHAT'S A WHOLE LOT WORSE THAN USING THE EXPRESS BUTTON: RUDE PEOPLE WHO INSIST ON CRAMMING ONTO AN ALREADY PACKED ELEVATOR.

This wonderful tip is one that I ABSOLUTELY WILL USE. On our last cruise I practically begged a couple to wait for the next elevator but they had to pack ours to the max. They squeezed on, forcing those in the back to be pinned against the wall. Then guess what? The elevator wouldn't move. It stayed in position with the doors closed. When the doors finally opened, those two still refused to get off.

I'LL TELL YOU WHAT'S A WHOLE LOT WORSE THAN USING THE EXPRESS BUTTON: RUDE PEOPLE WHO INSIST ON CRAMMING ONTO AN ALREADY PACKED ELEVATOR.

This wonderful tip is one that I ABSOLUTELY WILL USE. On our last cruise I practically begged a couple to wait for the next elevator but they had to pack ours to the max. They squeezed on, forcing those in the back to be pinned against the wall. Then guess what? The elevator wouldn't move. It stayed in position with the doors closed. When the doors finally opened, those two still refused to get off.

If I'm already standing by the control panel when you get into the elevator, and your floor is already selected (which means you don't need to push any button at all), are you going to push me out of the way so you can be "Elevator Guy"?

If I'm already standing by the control panel when you get into the elevator, and your floor is already selected (which means you don't need to push any button at all), are you going to push me out of the way so you can be "Elevator Guy"?

Am I going to push you out of the way? Seriously?

Cruised on other lines but never yet on RCI. On other ships could pack own wine in luggage (mine is usually better than theirs) and pay corkage fees (sometimes fees only applicable if drinking wine in public areas). Seems like a big no-no on this line. Anyone tried it? Also the website suggests even bringing nonalcoholic beverages in luggage is not allowed, yet several posts suggest sticking a luggage tag on a case of bottled water and having it delivered to your room without problems. Anyone done this lately? I have brought bottled water on other cruises before without incident (and perhaps some liquids that strongly resembled water too, if you get my drift...OK, I have a balcony room and like to hang out there and enjoy my view without having to leave to get to the bar...). Of course I am leaving TOMORROW, so hopefully I might get some prompt responses. Otherwise I'll repost upon returning.

I scanned through the pages and don't think I saw these tips so here goes. We always take at least one (two if the kids are with) pop up hamper. They fold flat for packing and weigh almost nothing. When it fills up with dirty clothes I pack them away in one of the suitcases. It helps keep the room organized and makes less work the last day of the cruise when you have to have your bags out.

My other tip is to make sure you have a swimsuit either on or in your carry-on so you can enjoy the pools and hot tubs on embark day. It is the only time the pools and hot tubs are almost empty. Just make sure to have flip-flops or sandals, I forgot mine once and had my running shoes on, I almost burned my feet on the hot pool deck getting into the pool.

We also take the plug-in air freshener, we also take a small can of febreeze we spray the curtains, couches etc. and sometimes have to spray the hallway to clear the air from others.

Regarding your Febreze tip...here's something you probably don't know.

I'm a deputy sheriff, and many times we have to book some pretty unsavory characters into jail. We spray everything with Fabreze to INCLUDE the prisoner - It's a lifesaver!