RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

I hope this was not already addressed, but I find it very odd that the immediate thought of many posters were to jump to the negative possibilities vs. positive ones. In fact, it didn't even occur to me that someone would use that feature to be selfish. Wow.

The only thought that occurred to me (until I started reading some of the threads blasting the poster) was, "great idea...for all the times that you are in an elevator that is COMPLETELY full, and you can't squeeze one more child--let alone an adult--but have to stop at every single floor and have a bunch of passengers run over to what they believe to be an available elevator, only to stare at everyone inside and all the folks on the elevator stare blankly back at the passengers waiting to get on."

Come on....I can't possibly be the only one that immediately thought this instead of some inconsiderate reason.

No glass half full folks out there?

Serious question.....you mean you can't walk in with a drink that you still have that you purchased at a bar?

If that's the case, wow. I've been cruising on Princess and Celebrity too much if this is really the case.

:/

You can absolutely bring a drink from a bar or other venue into the MDR. There are no restrictions on where you can bring a drink from one place on the ship to another.

I have an IPhone 4 with an app on it for RCCL. Once out to sea I put my phone on airplane mode and use the deck plans on my phone to get around. On the Majesty someone asked if I knew where a bathroom is, I pulled out my phone and showed them.

Thanks! I'm excited to use that next time!

I figured out the solution. Move your phone out of airplane mode. Go to the RCCL app and open every deck you want to see (I opened Allure - then every deck). Put your phone back into airplane mode and go back to the app. You'll now be able to see each deck.

I took a photo of the ship guide outside of some elevators. I just pull up the photo and zoom in. Works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleckle--I have had the same problem, but what an ingenious idea to photograph the newsletter the night before. Thank you for that tip!

Jo Ann

I just noticed that you're taking one of the cruises that my husband and I dream of......Hawaii. Would love to hear all about this one!

Not sure if these were mentioned as I've kind of skipped around on this post but I have two tips,

1) when you reimbark on the ship from port after going through the security most pEople congregate at the first bank of elevators and have to wait for an empty one...just pass the first little hallway of elevators and use the next ones, usually empty.

2) On Voyager. Class and above there is a different classic automobile in front of the pubs on the promenade. The front of it is always facing "forward" on the ship. (I found this one really helpful on the Oasis as the next deck up was the Boardwalk and it was only accesable aft.

2) On Voyager. Class and above there is a different classic automobile in front of the pubs on the promenade. The front of it is always facing "forward" on the ship. (I found this one really helpful on the Oasis as the next deck up was the Boardwalk and it was only accesable aft.

The car faces aft on Freedom Class.

If you are petite and use a robe, the RCI ones are enormous! I put one on and it was way too long and WAY too big for me; I could have gotten a few sumo wrestlers in there with me! So, bring your own robe if you don't like the voluminous look.

Before going to sleep, we put everything we will need for an excursion in our backpacks and then lean the backpacks against our door with the shoes we'll wear that day. It is easier to make sure we have everything we will need as opposed to rushing around in the morning. We also put our recycling material by our backpacks so we can deposit it in the recycling bins on our way to breakfast.

Walking/running tracks: If you are the only person using it, go in whatever direction works for you unless otherwise posted. However, if you are not the first person, PLEASE go in the same direction as the other people so as to reduce the potential for falls.

Be proactive and take notice of people needing seats in the Windjammer. If you have room, please invite them to sit with you. One of the best WJ meals I ever had was because of the sweet, hilarious Australian couple who invited hubby and I to sit with them. The 4 of us laughed so hard during our meal that my stomach hurt.

Wash your hands frequently! Getting sick is a bummer.

Please do not be a "terrible traveler," my replacement for "Ugly American/British/South American," etc. because to me, "Ugly _______ (insert nationality) is unkind, arrogant and stereotypes people. Know that cultural practices differ and there is not much you cannot adapt to for the length of a cruise. You will be home soon enough and can get back to whatever your culture deems appropriate. Be open to peoples differences; doing so will show you all of your similarities.

Edited by Bookish Angel

• 3 weeks later...

I read through most of this thread and didn't see this.

I've only cruised once so I am by no means an expert.

Heading out again in May on FOC.

We took our first cruise in 2007 on the Carnival Holiday.

Neither my wife nor I drink soda or any sugary drinks (unless they have alcohol in them of course) so we were excited to hear that they had free unsweetened iced tea as we drink a lot of it at home. It was TERRIBLE. Too strong, too bitter and clearly designed to have you buy soda! :-)

On our upcoming cruise we plan to bring those individual packets with unsweetened tea that we could just add to water. One could easily do the same with other flavored or sweetened drinks.

I assume this would be allowed.

Neither my wife nor I drink soda or any sugary drinks (unless they have alcohol in them of course) so we were excited to hear that they had free unsweetened iced tea as we drink a lot of it at home. It was TERRIBLE. Too strong, too bitter and clearly designed to have you buy soda! :-)

On our upcoming cruise we plan to bring those individual packets with unsweetened tea that we could just add to water. One could easily do the same with other flavored or sweetened drinks.

I like the iced tea. I put in a couple of lemons and lots of ice. ;)

And yes, you can bring packets to add to water.:)

This may not be a secret but it was great nevertheless.

On sailings where we have been lucky enough to have a balcony, in foreign ports and when your balcony is on the docked side of the ship, when the ship is close to sailing time, instead of going up to a deck or lounge for sailaway, just hang out on the balcony - Then as you see all the folks running for all glory be down the dock so as to make the ship on time start cheering and hootin' & hollerin' (you won't be alone) - it was hilarious! This was one of our favorite activities on more than one ship.

The other half of this secret is that a ship's photographer is taking pictures of the "runners" (what the crew calls them), which are posted on a billboard in the crew area of the ship. The banner on top of the board read "Did ya buy a frickin' watch? Guess not!!" Learned about it on the Carnival Victory and confirmed on the Emerald Princess and SOS.

Don't know if these have been posted already, but...

-bring your own shampoo/conditioner if you are picky--RC has a "one-dispenser-fits-all" in the shower that you use to wash everything.

-take a backpack for shore excursions to keep your gear and purchases secure and hands free. Add a water bottle to bring your own water into the port.

-speaking of water, don't buy bottled water. The ship's water is purified.

-consider an overdoor shoe organizer to store toiletries; keeps the small countertops clear and your cabin steward happy.

-nothing dries quickly in the cabin, so bring a "sham-wow" to wring your swimsuit in so it's completely dry for the next day.

-take the spa tour and register for the spa credit drawing--THEN GO BACK FOR IT! Most people don't return because they get lost at the bar/pool/buffet. Only 10 people or so came back. We've won twice, and the credit will typically cover two services.

Have a great time!!!

Walking/running tracks: If you are the only person using it, go in whatever direction works for you unless otherwise posted. However, if you are not the first person, PLEASE go in the same direction as the other people so as to reduce the potential for falls.

The generally accepted way to walk or run around the ship is counterclockwise. On some ships there are arrows posted to guide passengers.

Euphio, i like this idea...i did this last Dec on the cruise from Baltimore to CocoCay/Nassau/Ft Lauderdale,....

I like fresh-brewed iced tea as well, and prefer decaf anyway, so typically I will brew a double-strong cup in the Promenade Cafe and beg a large glass with just ice, pour my tea over, and enjoy! We do late-seating MDR, and I drink hot tea throughout the meal.

Ei

I must seriously disagree with this. They work their butts off for you. I just came off the Explorer. My DM is not only blind, but cannot walk well. The My Time Dining attendant booked us a nice table close by, in a nice corner by the railing so it was easy for her to navigate with her cane. He held it for us EVERY DAY. Every evening we would find the next day's compass & the next evening's dinner menu on the bed printed IN BRAILLE. In the dining room, the waiters would "announce" they were reaching in to lay out her napkin and bring/remove her plates. At night when I would walk to the room & have water in my hands & my mom walking latched on my arm, they would run ahead of me to key into the stateroom. The tender crew could not have been more helpful either.

A great trip is not about the deal you get on board for a bottle of vodka or another $20 you blew in a slot machine. It is these little touches that make your trip more meaningful, and in our case, liberating. Besides mentioning their names in the customer survey, service like this needs to be acknowledged. It's the proper way to say thank you & job well done!

This reminds me of the last time I cruised RCL probably 10 years ago. My husband and I sailed with my mom and two of her sisters. At dinner, one of my aunts would just sit and look at everything (even after the food was served -- I think she may have been in the early stages of Alzheimer's). Anyway, my aunt just sat even after everyone else had started eating. The waiter came up behind her and cut up all of her food. He did that every night, and the rest of us kind of jokingly wondered why we didn't get that kind of service.

On the Voyager of the Seas, Cafe Promenade did not serve pizza on departure day until after 6pm. Sandwiches and the desserts were available for lunch when we boarded, but no pizza. I suspect this is true for other ships too.

Also the Voyager of the Seas March 2011 was not allowing any outside drinks. They were kept and brought to your cabin the last night.

Is the Cafe Promenade free?

Is the Cafe Promenade free?
Are you saying you wear your thong OVER your clothing?

LOL

We were all "Newbies" at one point.

Yes the Cafe Promenade food is free of charge. Special coffee you will have to pay for though.

We'll be taking our first RC cruise in 20 days...this thread has helped get me into the mood. It's only for four days, and I liked the idea of taking along a printout of the deck plan since it always takes me a couple of days to find my way around. On a short cruise, knowing the layout of the ship will help.

Whew! This was a long thread. Guess you know I didn't get much done today in the house. I already have my homework cutout for me as I already printed the decks on NOS. Don't like looking at the ships picture by the elevator. :)

Any idea how to find 'mini' versions of deck plans, versus printing out individual pages for each deck ?[/quote)

Go to cruisedeckplans.

I wonder why more people don't take the stairs?

When we are on a cruise and with the extra food etc we make it a habit of avoiding elevators at all costs. I know that there are people that can't take the stairs but looking around at some of our fellow cruisers I think that more should be using the stairs and skipping the elevators.

A floor on a ship is not the same as a floor on land. When you walk up 5 floors on a ship it about equivalent of 3 or so in a building on land.

And remember that walking "down" is easy going, leave the elevators for people who need them.

I don't agree. I have a 2-story house and to go upstairs is 15 steps and then I am on the second floor. On Carnival Conquest, you go up 7 stairs, then make a quick turn and up 7 more stairs and then you are on the next deck. I counted when I was on the ship last month as I had to use the stairs a lot because of people like one poster who holds the floor and close button at one time. It was a nightmare getting an elevator to stop on Deck 7. :eek:

Edited by CRUISE4JANE

I always take 3 or 4 clothes pins. I take them to hang up swim suits in the shower to dry but always end up finding another use for them.

I also take one of the older style air freshners that is like a plastic cone that you twist to open. I put it on the shelf under the sink in the bathroom. At $1 you can just leave it when you depart. It's nice when you are sharing a small room. I also opt for clean cotton or fresh air scented so it's not strong.

My son uses a lanyard for his seapass card, you can get them for $1-$2 at party city. I use the clip on on name badges that you get at conventions. I just slid my seapass card in if I don't have pockets. I spend a lot of time up on deck and find the card flaps around on a lanyard so I like this better.

Dollar store rain ponchos if you are going ashore. 2 for $1. If you have to ue them, just toss them as you board. These take up very little space in your luggage.

2 dif highlighter colors for the compass. Kids and adults are often interested in different activities.

When my son was younger we took walkie talkies so he could contact me if he wanted to leave the kids area sooner than planned. You do get some activity on the channel but it's never so much as to be annoying.

Relax and have fun!

I started this years ago, except I only use that scent on vacation. So the morning I leave for a trip, I start using that scent (body wash, lotion, perfume whatever) and I'm instantly in the vacation mind set. It's funny how it just conjures up all the good vibes instantly.

I do something similiar on my land trips. Almost always stay at Marriotts and their bath products have an orange and ginger smell. When ever I use them it reminds me of vacation time. I even use the shampoo even though there is not much hair to wash.