RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

If you love iced coffee, Maxwell House now sells the travel packets (similar to Crystal Light). They are sold in the coffee aisle. I've only purchased Hazelnut but they may have other flavors. We bring a box or 2 of those-delicious iced coffee in an instant!

I love it but I use Starbucks iced coffee.:D Also comes in caramel.;)

Most of the time we have to fly across country to take a cruise. My wife always brings a package of treated wipes and passes out one to each of us.

We all wipe down the arm rest, buckle, table and the back of the seat were the table rests. You would not believe how dirty some tables are even on the first flight of the day. Don't rule out first class either. Four of us have wiped down our first class tables and the wipes were black. That was the first flight of the day to NY on our way to Rome.

We just don't like picking up germs on the way to a cruise as we go in the day prior. Two days with the wrong germs and it can ruin a cruise.

Same coming home. Those flights are likely the turn around flights and could have had someone sick in your seat.

l think the ships do a better job on trying to keep things clean.

Gene

ok so i'll be on AoS in just over a week.......my question is that i know there is a starbucks onboard...is it a corporate place where I can use the prepaid cards onboard or will it be basically a swipe/charge type of deal here. i'd rather be able to use my ppd starbucks card...better yet, my app on my phone for making a purchase.

thanks!

Thanks for all the wonderful tips on this thread. Further to Gene's (Suite Cruise) terrific suggestion re air flight health prior to joining a cruise:

"We all wipe down the arm rest, buckle, table and the back of the seat were the table rests. You would not believe how dirty some tables are even on the first flight of the day. Don't rule out first class either. Four of us have wiped down our first class tables and the wipes were black. That was the first flight of the day to NY on our way to Rome".

How true and useful! On newer aircraft (first/business/premium economy classes), they also have tables, remote controls, lights & TV monitors that fold into the seat "shell". I very much doubt whether the aircraft cleaners would have the time - or would be bothered - to individually clean all of these things, at any time.

Here's a tip that we thought of, but which didn't work (just in case you think of it too): we thought that a salad/lettuce spinner might be useful to dry underwear, socks & t-shirts (like a mini clothes drier). We tried it, but it was too cumbersome & difficult. It worked quite well at home during a test run, but it was hard to use in a ship's small bathroom. However, we were glad that we took a small plastic hanger for socks, bras & jocks (available at $2 shops), especially as our last ship did not have a pull-out clothesline in the bathroom. We hung it from a towel rail & things dried quite quickly.

On to a different subject, while still on the RCI thread; I'm thinking of cruising around Australia on Radiance of the Seas, in the near future. Can anyone please tell me:

1. Whether that ship has a buffet-style cafe 24/7 (or nearly 24/7), and

2. What facilities Radiance has in the way of sauna, steam room, aromatherapy room, etc. & whether they are segregated (i.e. male & female). Having just completed a cruise on Celebrity Reflection, I am familiar with Celebrity's Persian Garden - which I absolutely loved & visited almost every day. Apart from the relaxation/health benefits, it was also a terrific place to meet like-minded cruisers.

Regards, Chris (Grey Funnel, Australia).

I thought of another one...

Buy new shampoo, soap for the trip. Something tropical sounding with coconut scent or passion fruit or something. Use it on the ship and then continue using it when you get home. Never fails to "take me back" for just another minute or so. :)

OMG, I know this is an old thread brought back to life but I do this. Our first cruise back in 2004 I bought some Rusk minty thing and now that reminds me of a cruise all.the.time. I am actually going to pick some up soon to get myself motivated to continue the gym for our cruise in April!

ok so i'll be on AoS in just over a week.......my question is that i know there is a starbucks onboard...is it a corporate place where I can use the prepaid cards onboard or will it be basically a swipe/charge type of deal here. i'd rather be able to use my ppd starbucks card...better yet, my app on my phone for making a purchase.

thanks!

I'd like to know this too. I'll be on the oasis and would like to use my phone app so i can accumulate my rewards

• 1 month later...

thanks!

Were you able to use your prepaid Starbucks card or phone APP?

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas, My wife and I sail RCCL for the first time in less than three weeks, and even though i didn't start this post, I am glad I found it, some great ideas in here for sure.

Hey poorplaya,

I take a number of recent reviews, copy and paste them on a document. After that I divide all the different reviews into categories. Food, Shows, bars, ship, ports then when I have all these different ideas from everyone I pick out what works best for me to make the cruise better. Hope that helps.

Yes, the phone app works on the Oasis. I used it while we were still docked in Ft. Lauderdale. However, I put my phone on airplane mode once we leave the dock so I don't incur any roaming charges. If you can leave your phone on during the trip (don't know what kind of plan you have), then they will take the phone app.

I'm so with you about the stairs. I'm not just able bodied, I'm over-bodied X-D. After working and dieting my literal fanny off, I'll need to burn every calorie I can. Plus I've never had to wait for the stairs.

Now on formal nights, different story. Heels and stairs are not a fun mix.

I have Shipmate and a Royal app on my phone. With my phone being in airplane mode I can click on the apps and get the deck plans. If it works on my phone it should work on others.

I am using an HTC Thunerbold running android os. Shipmate works fine on my phone in airplane mode.

I'd like to know this too. I'll be on the oasis and would like to use my phone app so i can accumulate my rewards

An app like this requires internet connectivity (has to talk to the bank) so it will work if you are on wifi and have paid for internet, or if you are in cell phone range. otherwise no.

Deck plan apps etc work regardless as the info is stored on your phone and no internet connectivity is required.

I know the ladies room outside the windgammer overlooks the water either on the Mariner or the Explorer, that is if my memory is correct. It is aging fast so I could be wrong. If we got ride of all the PCness the world would be a better place, remember sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me (only if you let them). Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if you do not agree, and I for one am not happy that the 1 or 2 persons spoil things for the many. Just my opinion.

Any special hints for 1st time inside roommers. I am bringing nightlights, but anything else (love the idea of using spa fac for shower and extra dressing room).

On an inside room it is important that you bring a travel clock with you. When you wake up you can't tell if it is morning or still night.

Most of the time we have to fly across country to take a cruise. My wife always brings a package of treated wipes and passes out one to each of us.

We all wipe down the arm rest, buckle, table and the back of the seat were the table rests. You would not believe how dirty some tables are even on the first flight of the day. Don't rule out first class either. Four of us have wiped down our first class tables and the wipes were black. That was the first flight of the day to NY on our way to Rome.

We just don't like picking up germs on the way to a cruise as we go in the day prior. Two days with the wrong germs and it can ruin a cruise.

Same coming home. Those flights are likely the turn around flights and could have had someone sick in your seat.

l think the ships do a better job on trying to keep things clean.

Gene

We use the wipes too. Also after an article in the Wall Street Journal, I try to avoid sticking my hands in the seat back pockets. All types of things go into them: diapers, trash and worse.

I guess my phone didn't get the memo.

RJ, download "Ship Mate". Pick your cruise before you leave home. When you go into "airplane mode" on board you can use the deck plan feature. It's a great app. We've used it the last 2 years.

Not really a secret but maybe a good suggestion: the Windjammer can be a zoo on disembarkation day and you can't get room service that morning so we go to the Promenade Cafe the night before and pick up a few mini sandwiches that keep well and have those for breakfast in our room before heading off the ship. I always pack zip loc baggies so I just stash them in there and put them in the fridge.

• 1 month later...
I have an IPhone 4 with an app on it for RCCL. Once out to sea I put my phone on airplane mode and use the deck plans on my phone to get around. On the Majesty someone asked if I knew where a bathroom is, I pulled out my phone and showed them.

Interesting I never thought of using the airplane mode on the ship. Does it still allow you to text to others on the same ship?

Interesting I never thought of using the airplane mode on the ship. Does it still allow you to text to others on the same ship?

No, your phone can't get any texts, calls, or Internet access while in airplane mode. However, you can still take pictures and access your music.

Depends. You cannot send/receive SMS texts in airplane mode because that would need the cell network. You could send iMessage texts in airplane mode, but that would require turning on WiFi and paying Royal for connect time. At least one ship has unlimited internet (Allure?) so that would not be bad if you had the unlimited package. Other ships that charge by the minute would be cost prohibitive if you left WiFi connected all the time.

Edited by clarea