RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

This may not be a secret but it was great nevertheless.

On sailings where we have been lucky enough to have a balcony, in foreign ports and when your balcony is on the docked side of the ship, when the ship is close to sailing time, instead of going up to a deck or lounge for sailaway, just hang out on the balcony - Then as you see all the folks running for all glory be down the dock so as to make the ship on time start cheering and hootin' & hollerin' (you won't be alone) - it was hilarious! This was one of our favorite activities on more than one ship.

Ah, the running of the drunks! One of my favorite spectator sports:)

Just wondering if there is a fee to use the steam and shower rooms??Thanks ahead!

Earl

NO CHARGE for the "regular" steam/shower room in the men's/women's changing rooms in the spa... (fairly basic, but yes, it is a great place to have a roomy shower, shave, shampoo, and even dress for formal night if you don't mind carrying your gear back and forth from your cabin).

YES CHARGE for the special (co-ed) steam room, with heated stone benches, floor-to-ceiling windows, aromatherapy steam rooms, etc. -- you can buy a pass for that on a daily or full-cruise basis -- best deal is the "couples" package, which you can book with anyone! (I believe this is only available on Radiance class and above.)

Could you please explain how you were able to access the deck plans with your phone in airplane mode? I downloaded the RCI ap and found the plans, but I cannot get them to stay in my phones memory for use off line. Or maybe you are referring to a different application? Thanks.

Shipmate stores the deck plans on your phone, the other RCI app uses the web so it can't be accessed in airplane mode.

When is your next "Live" cruise? My family always enjoys them.

23-Jan-2011 to 30-Jan-2011 on the Allure of the Seas!

The same cabin I had last January on the Oasis, 6672, right by the aft elevators. :D

Edited by Trainman-2

On sea days the Tutti salad bar in the main dining room is awesome. This is not like any salad bar you have ever been to. It's one of my favorite things to do on a cruise.

The sauna and steam rooms in the locker room area of the spa/gym are free. There are also fancy showers there with a bunch of sprays and, on Voyager class ships, there is a big hot tub there, too.

Don't pay for the yoga or Pilates classes. They are worthless. The staff don't have a clue what they are doing. I have seen them put people into postures doing what they think is Yoga that can be dangerous for the people.

Speaking of Yoga and Pilates, I grab a mat from the gym and take it up to the lounge on the top of the ship. No one else is there early in the AM and it is a wonderful place for me to do my Yoga and Pilates routine without being disturbed. I can look out over the ocean while doing it. Some of the lounges have canned music in the morning so I bring earplugs.

During a lazy afternoon I try to go down all of the stairwells to view the artwork. Cross over, ride the elevator back up and walk back down the other stairwell. If you never visit the other decks on the other end of the ship, you are missing some great artwork. RCI paid millions to install all the art.

Edited by cruzincurt
  • Like 1

You have all peaked my interest. :) How much do they charge for a couples pass to the coed saunas??

Would love to check this out with hubby.

SOME ships have 'couples rasul' Very nice.... do some searches on threads, there is quite a bit of info.

I am pretty sure that's what was being referred to

This is a very small hint.......When we cruise I am always amazed at the people who wander around the Windjammer with a full plate of food searching for a table......The WJ is usually busy...that is the way it is...however.. find your table first.....put your stuff on it or have one of your party wait there while others get their food. It is so silly to walk around like a sad sack with a full plate looking for a table!:):):)

This is a very small hint.......When we cruise I am always amazed at the people who wander around the Windjammer with a full plate of food searching for a table......The WJ is usually busy...that is the way it is...however.. find your table first.....put your stuff on it or have one of your party wait there while others get their food. It is so silly to walk around like a sad sack with a full plate looking for a table!:):):)

We get the attention of one of the staff and they quickly find us a table.

Since the Windjammer is always near the pool, we have taken our dishes to one of the outdoor tables by the pool - depending on the weather, this can be quite nice.

But you are right, best to grab a table first and have one in your party wait while the other(s) fill their plates - It's what we usually do and we almost always get a window table.

• Like 1

The biggest secret they don't tell you is that once you go on your first cruise you will forever hooked! It will be the worse sickness you will have ever experienced in your life and the only cure is to cruise over and over!

:D :p ;)

It is the Adictine in the water, and used in the ice.

RCI secrets they don't tell you.....Um, well, men should wear clean underwear to The Quest. ;)

Just wondering if there is a fee to use the steam and shower rooms??Thanks ahead!

I have read the Oasis and Allure charge. On other ships it is free.

Edited by Jimnbigd

The biggest secret they don't tell you is that once you go on your first cruise you will forever hooked! It will be the worse sickness you will have ever experienced in your life and the only cure is to cruise over and over!

:D :p ;)

Not really a cure, more palliative....:)

My get-away from the cruise: Every night, after dinner, I take a long slow walk around the ship on the lowest open deck. Usually deck 4 I think. Same location as most muster stations. To me it's the only place where you feel like you're out at sea. Dimmer lighting, no kids, no loud music... it's how I imagine the old ocean liners were. You can hear the waves hitting the hull and smell the spray. Maybe even feel the spray if it's rough. Some nights you can even see stars. Light pollution prevents you from seeing many stars on the upper decks.

On some ships you can follow exterior stairs to little used levels. Don't violate the 'crew only' signs but go everywhere else you can reach. Some wonderful views aft, and on some ships, you can get below the bridge. To preserve their night vision, this is usually a dark location also. Unfortunately, on some older ships, this dark open deck is crew-only for the ropes and anchors. If there's a strong headwind, the forward deck may be closed.

Another secret... there are cameras everywhere out on these decks. Bad place to get too romantic.

There's usually one water fountain, usually near the basketball court. Nice place to get some water without having to beg or tip someone.

Still hungry after your main course in the MDR? Ask for another. They're happy to do it.

Bring a case of bottled water or your favorite bottled drink as checked baggage. Pick it up dirt cheap at grocery store in your embarkation city. Throw a luggage tag on it, drop it off at the curb, and it will show up in your cabin. Just don't sneak anything else in one of the inside bottles.

That's about it I guess. Good topic.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, these are great!! I had a very long day yesterday with a doctors visit 3 hours away for my DH and a phone call on the way home to meet my DS at the ER for stitches:eek: It has been great to finally sit down after work today and read these. Makes me want to be on FOS right now!:)