RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

I guess my phone didn't get the memo.

I have an iphone4 as well and I can't get the decks to come up when it is on airplane mode as well. It will pull up the ship, but when I click on the deck plans I get a white page for each deck. :(

I have an iphone4 as well and I can't get the decks to come up when it is on airplane mode as well. It will pull up the ship, but when I click on the deck plans I get a white page for each deck. :(

Apparently the rccl shipmate app is for iphone only. I have a tmobile my touch phone so i just accessed the rccl website from my phone and found the deck plans then clicked on "printable version" and it saved it to my phone as a pdf file. I had to do it for each deck but it only took a few minutes and dont have to worry about internet access. Also, dont get it confused with another shipmate app that tracks packages and luggage.

great tip-thanks!

The official RCCL app doesn't save the deck plans. It will try to go online each time and download them. The non RCCL "Ship Mate" has the deck plans built in to the app. It's not free (but it's not very expensive) and the deck plan resolution is not that great, but it's a pretty handy app all the same.

This is a very small hint.......When we cruise I am always amazed at the people who wander around the Windjammer with a full plate of food searching for a table......The WJ is usually busy...that is the way it is...however.. find your table first.....put your stuff on it or have one of your party wait there while others get their food. It is so silly to walk around like a sad sack with a full plate looking for a table!:):):)

Yet another reason to be among the first to board the ship...your choice of tables!!!

RCI secrets they don't tell you.....Um, well, men should wear clean underwear to The Quest. ;)

Snort snort snuffle gasp chortle HA! Almost spewed coffee all over the monitor with that comment ;):D

So.... that's 2 pair for the 7 day cruise then....sailaway and quest night.

... should cut back on my packing.........:eek:

Note to self: Don't sit next to ORANGEinINDY...:p;):D

This is a very small hint.......When we cruise I am always amazed at the people who wander around the Windjammer with a full plate of food searching for a table......The WJ is usually busy...that is the way it is...however.. find your table first.....put your stuff on it or have one of your party wait there while others get their food. It is so silly to walk around like a sad sack with a full plate looking for a table!:):):)

I am fascinated by this. It is obviously a cultural thing, but in the UK in many of our self service restaurants you line up first then find your table.

This is probably why I find it it most annoying that people feel it right to sit at a table they are not using while I am standing with a plate full of food.

I think of it as no different to deckchair hogging - keeping something you are not using.

For people new to RCI, make sure you walk all the way to the back of the Windjammer. On the left and right sides are the same buffet setups, so you'd think that's all there is, but if you go to the very back end (the third side of the triangle), it's a completely different set-up with Asian/Indian foods, sandwiches, hamburgers, eggs cooked to order in the morning, etc.**

**I'm sure someone will confirm/correct me if that's not the case on all classes of ships.

• Like 1

I am fascinated by this. It is obviously a cultural thing, but in the UK in many of our self service restaurants you line up first then find your table.

This is probably why I find it it most annoying that people feel it right to sit at a table they are not using while I am standing with a plate full of food.

I think of it as no different to deckchair hogging - keeping something you are not using.

I think it must be cultural because finding a table first when you are at a buffet and then getting your food is the norm, at least here in Minnesota!:) That way you can get out of your jacket (Minnesota remember) before you get your food. Plus at lots of buffets you order a drink from a waiter/waitress and they bring it to your table while you're filling your first plate.

So for me, walking around with a plate of food looking for a table seems odd -- definately a culture thing!!

The people I've seen dashing through the door and straight for the food are people who are just impatient, and frankly often rude. There were folks on a past cruise who literally were reaching directly in front of me to grab a roll they wanted before I could get it, or running to avoid having to stand in a line.

Only in America.

For people new to RCI, make sure you walk all the way to the back of the Windjammer. On the left and right sides are the same buffet setups, so you'd think that's all there is, but if you go to the very back end (the third side of the triangle), it's a completely different set-up with Asian/Indian foods, sandwiches, hamburgers, eggs cooked to order in the morning, etc.**

**I'm sure someone will confirm/correct me if that's not the case on all classes of ships.

Is the set-up the same for all ships? I'm on Oasis

But if I'm sitting at the table while my husband gets his food which should only take a few minutes...it's not being "not used". It's not like leaving my towel on a chair for 2 hours, I'm sitting at the table.

As I said before, I have both the Royal and shipmate apps on my IPhone. They both show the deck plans while in the airplane mode. The shipmate app even lets you track your expenses, to much work for me.

can you tell me more about the shipmate app -I'm not finding it on google. Wonder if they have an android app?

The official RCCL app doesn't save the deck plans. It will try to go online each time and download them. The non RCCL "Ship Mate" has the deck plans built in to the app. It's not free (but it's not very expensive) and the deck plan resolution is not that great, but it's a pretty handy app all the same.

The RCCL app has been replaced recently. I have 2 RCCL apps (same icon). The older one works offline and the recent one does not. I checked to see if the older app was still available and I cannot find it on itunes anymore. Just the new RCCL and shipmate.

The people I've seen dashing through the door and straight for the food are people who are just impatient, and frankly often rude. There were folks on a past cruise who literally were reaching directly in front of me to grab a roll they wanted before I could get it, or running to avoid having to stand in a line.

Only in America.

Only in America...Oh how wrong you are! Travel in Europe or Asia - lines don't exist. Try lining up and you instantly find other more agressive people in front of you. I learned when traveling in European Airports if you aren't somewhat agressive - you are going to miss your flight.

When dining in the Windjammer and they are busy, if you see a table for 4 or more that is occupied by only one or two people, ask politely if the extra seats are free and may you sit there. It is a great way to meet some of your fellow cruisers, and I feel it is no different than sitting at a table in the MDR with open seating.

Also, if you are in a GS or above, you can take your food from the Windjammer into one of the nearby specialty restaurants (Ask the crew which one is being used for the suite service), there you will have tables with table cloths, dedicated waiters who will bring your drinks. It is a very nice place to dine when the WJ is busy. In the morning, they will bring coffee, rolls, fresh OJ to your table, all you have to do is get your main food from the buffet line.

Also, if you are in a GS or above, you can take your food from the Windjammer into one of the nearby specialty restaurants (Ask the crew which one is being used for the suite service), there you will have tables with table cloths, dedicated waiters who will bring your drinks. It is a very nice place to dine when the WJ is busy. In the morning, they will bring coffee, rolls, fresh OJ to your table, all you have to do is get your main food from the buffet line.

Is this for all classes of RCL ships or just Oasis? I am intersest if this apply to Radiance class.

Edited by JohnKen3

But if I'm sitting at the table while my husband gets his food which should only take a few minutes...it's not being "not used". It's not like leaving my towel on a chair for 2 hours, I'm sitting at the table.

I agree wiith you! That's what we do. When we get to the WJ, first thing we do is look for a table (I grab a glass of OJ, or water, and sit at the table while DH gets his food (he's very quick, unlike me, I like to check everything out before I decide what I want).

It appears that I have hit upon a cultural nerve. Which was most certainly not my intention. I know only too well from these boards that Americans do not appreciate criticism of their ways and customs.

It only takes a "few minutes" for my food to get cold while you are sitting there not eating.

At times the Windjammer is extraordinarily busy - I appreciate that it is clearly acceptable in your culture, it is quite rude in ours.

23-Jan-2011 to 30-Jan-2011 on the Allure of the Seas!

The same cabin I had last January on the Oasis, 6672, right by the aft elevators. :D

Trainman, when you were on Oasis in 6672 did you happen to notice how visible the lifeboats are below you? While I don't feel the necessity to stick my head over the railing and look straight down and see water, I'm hoping they're not overly visible or intrusive when you're sitting and enjoying the balcony or standing at the railing!

And I just wanted to say thank you for your live reports you've done for all of us! They're certainly great... when I know you've got one coming up, I always look forward to it and enjoy my 'virtual week at sea!'