Barcelona Pier Question

hawaiisloth

I have been told that there is a "Dutyfree" store in the Barcelona terminal, just prior to boarding.

If anyone has utilized it, do you have any recollection of:

1) Do they have champagne,

2) Do they have cuban cigars,

2) If yes, how are the prices.

Thanks very much.

Mark

I have been told that there is a "Dutyfree" store in the Barcelona terminal, just prior to boarding.

If anyone has utilized it, do you have any recollection of:

1) Do they have champagne,

2) Do they have cuban cigars,

2) If yes, how are the prices.

Thanks very much.

Mark

It is not a huge store, but they did have Champagne and Cuban cigars at very good prices. That being said, buying duty free whilst on a European cruise is not as easy as it once was.

Some customs officials believe that if your first port of call is outside of SPAIN then you may purchase goods duty free.

Others believe that your first port must be outside of the EUROPEAN UNION in order to purchase duty free.

The frustrating thing is that you never know what the opinion of the official that you deal with will be until you are there, and the rules are not available in writing.

On the upside, if you get out of the store with your purchases, you are home free. We have had "incorrectly purchased" Duty Free merchandise confiscated at Airports. but never at a cruise port.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but knowing the pitfalls is sometimes half of the battle.

Enjoy your cruise! :D

StanandJim: Where would you pick up some red and/or white reasonalbly priced wines to bring on the ship at Barcelona? We are staying near the Ramblas.

Jim may have a better suggestion, but I found a small wine shop in the public market -- la boqeura -- on las ramblas. When you enter the market under the arch, go to the back and turn right, almost to the right rear corner. The fellow speaks good English, is helpful, and has a good selection, especially Spanish wines. I thought his prices were reasonable.

There is a small supermarket just up the street, same side, closer to Plaza Catalonia, which has beer, sodas, pretzels and other things I consider essentials, although I won't need the soda this time.

StanandJim: Where would you pick up some red and/or white reasonalbly priced wines to bring on the ship at Barcelona? We are staying near the Ramblas.
Not SandJ, but I know the answer! :p:p

Try El Cortes Ingles at the top of Las Ramblas on Placa Catalunya. It’s a large Spanish department store that has a supermarket (basement) with a good wine selection. Be sure to check for daily wine specials at the end aisle displays. We got some incredible deals!

Also, midway up Las Ramblas heading towards Placa Catalunya from the port, on the left side, is a Carrefour Express. They have a decent wine selection. Not as good as El Cortes Ingles but still OK.

And finally, there is a wine shop towards the back of La Boqueria, the iconic market which is also off Las Ramblas. So, you have several choices all fairly close together. It may be possible to buy wine at the cruise pier but the selection will be less than available elsewhere.

We use El Cortes Ingles, mostly because if you make any kind of a significant order, they will deliver it to the ship gratis.

Regarding Gibralters' Customs status within the EU, these are the guidelines:

Notwithstanding its being part of the EU, Gibraltar is outside the customs union and VAT area and is exempted from the Common Agricultural Policy.[28] As a separate jurisdiction to the UK, Gibraltar's government and parliament are responsible for the transposition of EU law into local law.

Stan and Jim to the rescue again with sound advice...its no fun schlepping 4 six packs of wine from El Cortes Ingles down the Ramblas to the cruiseship terminal.

The wine selection at the cruiseship terminal was pretty dismal from what I recall last year - three or four selections of white and red + some sparkling.

Stan and Jim to the rescue again with sound advice...its no fun schlepping 4 six packs of wine from El Cortes Ingles down the Ramblas to the cruiseship terminal.

Well, it's not so bad if you take a cab from your cheap hotel as we did ... Cortes Ingles was a short walk from our digs, and then the cab was right there as well.

;)

Archived