Help! Should I change balcony cabins? Serenade

We are booked on the Serenade of the Seas in a hump cabin #9592(back of hump). I was just looking online and there are several aft balcony cabins available, one of which is #9658, corner aft by a JS. It does not appear to have the wrap around balcony that other corners have. We have never done an aft. Should I give up our hump cabin for the corner aft? Or one of the other afts? Help me decide! Thanks!

Only you can decide. We LOVE aft facing balconies. They are huge and we enjoy the view of the wake. We don't mind the longer walk either. We have that very cabin (it was the last aft available when I booked) on Serenade Feb. 26.

I love the location of the hump cabins and have stayed in 9078 on Serenade. However, I think given the choice between the two cabins you're looking at, I would go with the aft.

Yes, it is a longer walk to and from the aft cabin but the balcony is huge and the view will be fantastic.

I say go with the aft!

Count me as another "change to the aft."

Humps are nice, but I prefer the forward humps. With your current cabin, you cannot see the front of the ship, because of the elevator. However, the aft gives you a panoramic view. I love them! (And you'll love the huge balcony, too ... be sure to ask for loungers.)

We are booked on the Serenade of the Seas in a hump cabin #9592(back of hump). I was just looking online and there are several aft balcony cabins available, one of which is #9658, corner aft by a JS. It does not appear to have the wrap around balcony that other corners have. We have never done an aft. Should I give up our hump cabin for the corner aft? Or one of the other afts? Help me decide! Thanks!

Afts are nice. However 9658 is not a corner aft cabin, it is the standard back facing aft cabin. 9656 and 9256 are the corner aft cabins.

I've never been in an aft cabin and I know how much aft-ers all love them

DW and I had a great D1 balcony on our Serenade OTS B2B. We had a chance to have an aft and turned it down because we would have had to change rooms for the second week (boo-hoo tough I know!).

But the real reason was that I have problems with motion sickness in situations where I am facing backwards to the forward motion. I had a concern about that while watching the wake when sitting and standing on the balcony. At least in a regular cabin I am going forward with the motion.

I also was concerned about the sleeping setup of the cabin. In a regular cabin you are sleeping with your body length facing the sides of the ship. When you get a rolling motion this will rock you to sleep. For the most part there is not much forward to back motion where your head goes up and down.

In an aft cabin you sleep with your head and toes facing the sides. This means that your head would tend to go up and down when the ship rolls. You aft-ers can correct me on this. If you're prown to motion sickness that's the one that's the killer.

I have also read from some aft-ers that they don't get any relief from the sun. At least being on one side of the ship at some point you should get some shade.

Just my $ .02

If you want convenience, keep your hump....if you fancy a really, really LOOOONG walk everytime you want to run back and forth to the cabin, go aft. Those are some LOOOONG hallways!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo it's not. It's a really nooooooooooooooooooormal walk back to your aft cabin.

:rolleyes:

I've never been in an aft cabin and I know how much aft-ers all love them

DW and I had a great D1 balcony on our Serenade OTS B2B. We had a chance to have an aft and turned it down because we would have had to change rooms for the second week (boo-hoo tough I know!).

But the real reason was that I have problems with motion sickness in situations where I am facing backwards to the forward motion. I had a concern about that while watching the wake when sitting and standing on the balcony. At least in a regular cabin I am going forward with the motion.

I also was concerned about the sleeping setup of the cabin. In a regular cabin you are sleeping with your body length facing the sides of the ship. When you get a rolling motion this will rock you to sleep. For the most part there is not much forward to back motion where your head goes up and down.

In an aft cabin you sleep with your head and toes facing the sides. This means that your head would tend to go up and down when the ship rolls. You aft-ers can correct me on this. If you're prown to motion sickness that's the one that's the killer.

I have also read from some aft-ers that they don't get any relief from the sun. At least being on one side of the ship at some point you should get some shade.

Just my $ .02

Beds: The beds in the aft are situated the same way as the beds in the cabins on the sides of the ship.

Sun: I've had 9256 (the wrap around) that has the least amount of overhang, and it was fine. There is some overhang.

Motion sickness: There is more movement, but not like the cabins at the bow. I, personally, never had a problem. I found watching the wake to be the most peaceful time on the cruises.

As for the Poster complaining about the LOOOOOOOOONG walk ... give me a break. :p I considered it my opportunity to have dessert, guilt-free. ;)

If it were me, I would keep the hump cabin! More centrally located and yes, it is a VERY LOOOOOOONG WALK to the aft of the ship.......my friends had an aft cabin on one of my cruises and I really dreaded that long walk! Besides, I love being able to see forward to the front of the ship and backwards to the aft....makes for some amazing photos!

I truly appreciate everyone's responses! However, my DH shot down the change! :rolleyes: He said that we would get tired of the walk and is also concerned that we wouldn't be able to see as much on the sides of the ship. We are going to keep our hump cabin, although I do want to switch! He said maybe we would get a true wrap around the next time. Thanks!

I truly appreciate everyone's responses! However, my DH shot down the change! :rolleyes: He said that we would get tired of the walk and is also concerned that we wouldn't be able to see as much on the sides of the ship. We are going to keep our hump cabin, although I do want to switch! He said maybe we would get a true wrap around the next time. Thanks!

I think you will like #9592. It has a larger than standard balcony and will most likely have a lounger. There is definitely room for one, so ask if you don't have one. #9592 is on the back of the hump, so you will not be able to see along the ship all the way to the front of the ship, but this is not a big deal, IMO. Great views at ports and out to the ocean. We have had a very similar cabin on the front end of the hump and loved it. Have a wonderful cruise!

ps. That cabin next to #9658 is NOT a JS, but a large family suite which could have up to 8 people in it...noisy maybe????

Archived