New Ship Info to Share

Shifra

Also, we haven't been on the Coral or Island (but will be next April) and I was wondering where their disco was. I know it's located "internally" on the Sun Class ships.
It's in the Explorer's Lounge on Fiesta deck on the Coral/Island Princess. I don't know about the Sun-class (Dawn, Sea, Sun) ships.

It's in the Explorer's Lounge on Fiesta deck on the Coral/Island Princess. I don't know about the Sun-class (Dawn, Sea, Sun) ships.

The Sun-class ships have a dedicated nightclub on the Promenade deck. It's called Razzmatazz on the Sea Princess, Jammers on Dawn Princess and Shooting Stars on Sun Princess... I did enjoy Razzmatazz a bit more than Jammers since the decor wasn't so relentlessly dark.

Perhaps they will create a lounge towards the front of the ship to have those views like most HAL ships do.

I love sitting up there during the day to read and look out at the ocean. I hope they keep it as a lounge so we can still sit up there during the day. That is one of the things that I like about Holland America .

WCC

The Sun-class ships have a dedicated nightclub on the Promenade deck. It's called Razzmatazz on the Sea Princess, Jammers on Dawn Princess and Shooting Stars on Sun Princess... I did enjoy Razzmatazz a bit more than Jammers since the decor wasn't so relentlessly dark.

Exactly. And thanks for the Coral/Island info, Pam. bdjam had also provided the same information above. I'll be interested to see how that works out.

Here I thought they they would remove it and sell the pieces at auction for a bit of nostalgia. :(

Okay, this made me laugh.

So if it's true that they do have to remove the structure, I wonder if the shipyard has any liability? Princess designs in house, don't they? But the shipyard is the expert in ship building and design. Then again, Grand Princess is over 10 years old - seems like the warranty would have expired.

You know, you would think with such a big purchase, you'd shell out the few dollars more for the extended warranty.

Agree; I thought Jammers was almost a little creepy, it was so very dark. Like Princess was trying to attract the goth crowd. Of course, nowadays, the fad is for vampires, so maybe that's the target crowd. Either way, it's not a space I set foot in after the first time. And I love a good disco, what with being a child of the 70s and all: Anyone for the Hustle?

Also, we haven't been on the Coral or Island (but will be next April) and I was wondering where their disco was. I know it's located "internally" on the Sun Class ships.

Which one? I wonder if we'll be visiting Brett at the same time?

You know, you would think with such a big purchase, you'd shell out the few dollars more for the extended warranty.
Now that made ME laugh :)

I've heard stories of a unique twisting in the hulls of the Grand Class ships caused by the extended superstructure - so much so that a number of Promenade Deck windows popped out of Golden Princess during a rough Atlantic crossing one year.

The origingal Grand Class trio with the "shopping cart handles" don't actually have Club Fusion - they are still fitted with the Vista Lounge. But of note is the fact that the nightclub on board both Coral and Island Princesses is located in Explorers...that could be the soluntion for these Grand Class sisters.

If ships didn't twist, sag, hog, bend etc they would break!!!

It is normal that ships would hog and sag in weather. Thats why long large pipes have flexible couplings (ie bunker and ballast mains)

Windows pop out, doors dont open in rough seas. Dont forget Princess ships are generally low draft blue water ships not Liners that are designed for rough weather.

I always assumed there was access to the skywalkers through the pillars as well.

Wouldnt it make a lovely large area aft for sunbathing without it there though?

Mike

At the end of the day a cruise ship is a cargo ship with human cargo.

...... Dont forget Princess ships are generally low draft blue water ships not Liners that are designed for rough weather.......

You are correct in that they are not as sturdy as a ship meant for regular trans Atlantic travel. However, they do in fact make such crossings.

Blue water means open ocean.

Which one? I wonder if we'll be visiting Brett at the same time?:)

We're on the Coral, 4/24 sailing. Unfortunately, we had no idea he'd be on the Island when we booked. On the other hand, they way he's bounced around this past few months, who knows .... We can hope. :D

I assume you're on the Island; when are you sailing?

It is normal that ships would hog and sag in weather. Thats why long large pipes have flexible couplings (ie bunker and ballast mains)

That was always sort of my thinking, as well - though I am admittedly no engineer. Still, I could imagine it would be possible that a design element such as Skywalker's could, in practice, result in more stress over time than initially anticipated. All speculation at this point, I know. But, isn't that what we CC'ers do best? That and flame people in threads about smoking, MDR attire, chair hogs .... :p

I always assumed there was access to the skywalkers through the pillars as well.

Again, me too; and again, I have no basis for that other than assumption based on appearance and my own thoughts on functionality.

Wouldnt it make a lovely large area aft for sunbathing without it there though?

Ya know, it's interesting you say that. When we first sailed on the Ruby (and, later, the Diamond), I thought that was one thing I was going to love: the absence of the shadow from Skywalkers and its connecting tunnel. But, while we absolutely positively LOVE the Ruby (and Diamond), I was surprised to find that I actually missed all that partially shaded area on the Sun Deck. We sort of got to be experts at finding a spot that would be in sun for a period of time but then would slowly become shaded as the afternoon (and the ship) progressed. Strange, I know, and perhaps we just acclimated ourselves to the quirks of the ship.

I got a definitive answer concerning the fate of Skywalkers on the Grand Princess. Yes, the entire structure is going to be removed at her next drydock. The problem apparently was that the Grand Princess' Skywalkers was made of steel and has been causing considerable stress on the aft section of the ship. My contact at Princess was not sure if Skywalkers would be removed on the Golden, Star and Caribbean Princesses. Another thing that was mentioned is that the Grand Princess will probably replace the Sea Princess in catering to primarily British passengers in the Caribbean after the Sea Princess moves to Australia.

Windows pop out, doors dont open in rough seas. Dont forget Princess ships are generally low draft blue water ships not Liners that are designed for rough weather.

Of course - just like airplane wings move - if there wasn't some give, planes and ships would snap apart. The suggestion is that the twist in the hull is exaggerated on the Grand Class ships with Skywalkers aft.

As for the pillars, if you're in Skywalkers, the emergency exits go down through the pillars.

We're on the Coral, 4/24 sailing. Unfortunately, we had no idea he'd be on the Island when we booked. On the other hand, they way he's bounced around this past few months, who knows .... We can hope.

I assume you're on the Island; when are you sailing?

March 30 - and right...if there's a ship change I may be on Coral with you...although I think his contract is up right around then...but he's also been known to be extended. It's all a crap shoot.

IAnother thing that was mentioned is that the Grand Princess will probably replace the Sea Princess in catering to primarily British passengers in the Caribbean after the Sea Princess moves to Australia.

Wonder which ships will cruise from Southampton in the summer?

I love it on the Caribbean Princess very nice little area and the escalator was pretty kool, but completely removing is removing the Grand Princess' pride, she will be naked:rolleyes::eek::( although it was pretty quiet up there when we went on alittle tour 3, 4 ppl maybe

The Caribbean Princess goes into dry-dock in Nov of 2011. I guess they will be re-designing Skywalkers then. I have to agree that on Caribbean itineraries Skywalkers is dead during the day as passengers tend to spend more time out on deck. Maybe the plan is to have a dinner theater venue and charge a fee. I think they have something like that on NCL Epic.

They didn't say the Caribbean Princess or as a matter of fact who knows if its true and if it will happen on the Golden & Star

I can also confirm this as true. It was mentioned at the Most Travelled Passenger luncheon aboard the Emerald a few weeks ago. I was quite surprised and then afterward, wondered it I had actually heard it correctly! Evidently my ears did not deceive! Elite/Platinum/Suite lounge was supposed to be moved to the Vista Lounge

We were on the Grand Princess some years ago when the very tall ships were still a novelty. When docked in St. Thomas nose to tail we went up to Skywalkers to look out the rear and were amazed that we were higher up in the air then the stacks of the two smaller more traditional ships docked behind us. And that inclined moving walkway was interesting.

The shopping cart handle all the way at the rear are the unique identifier of those 3 ships.

Archived