New Ship Info to Share

Shifra

Interesting. I've felt from the beginning that if they had the bar area open in the afternoon, they would have had a lot more people using the area. On our Crown cruise in September, it was very busy every afternoon on sea days. If it's not a lounge, it would be a shame to lose those views. I sure hope it remains public space. The Grand-class ships need more indoor public space, not less. Particularly since most Princess cruises are not to warm weather areas. I've been on too many cruises with bad or cool weather when there were few places for all those passengers to go. I suspect that was the case with our September cruise when it rained and was cool/cold most of the cruise.

Just a quick thought and guess: I wonder if they are making it a 24/7 Platinum/Elite lounge?

I wish they would re-do/re-purpose Club Fusion! That is definitely a waste during the day.

I would be sad if whatever the new use of Skywalkers is, it loses its beautiful observation view! I am amazed at how many people are there during the day on cruises such as Alaska when the scenery is so beautiful.

It would surprise me if any CD with Princess has not heard of CC.

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that they actually will re-purpose Skywalkers on the existing ships. I thought if they did anything, it would only be on the newbuilds. Re-purposing does make more sense than removing it entirely.

I do see their point. Skywalkers isn't making money during the day as an observation lounge, though I'm sure it doesn't do too badly in the evening cocktail hour or late at night. I could see Princess adding another specialty restaurant up there, the view could be its draw. Whatever they add there, I'm sure it will be a revenue-producing venue and not more pure public space.

I second Coral's comment above to re-design Club Fusion. It's a nice idea for a venue, but the sightlines in there are awful.

i sat next to him at the most traveled lunch and he said he had never heard of cruise critic when i asked. funny how he says this even after attending your meeting, so i am not sure if he was pulling your leg or just had things a little mixed up-or maybe he was pulling my leg :) he really doesn't seem like the sarcastic joking type though

Ron was pulling you leg. BTW even Princess reads C.C.

The Caribbean Princess goes into dry-dock in Nov of 2011. I guess they will be re-designing Skywalkers then. I have to agree that on Caribbean itineraries Skywalkers is dead during the day as passengers tend to spend more time out on deck. Maybe the plan is to have a dinner theater venue and charge a fee. I think they have something like that on NCL Epic.

Ron was pulling you leg. BTW even Princess reads C.C.

well then princess please leave my skywalkers alone or replace it with a decent disco somewhere else-i don't want it to turn into a cruise line dead after 10pm-my favorite thing about princess is that it isn't a crazy party line but there is still a nightlife for those who want it. a perfect mix for everyone. If there is no late night disco i really won't be cruising with them anymore.

as for ron i think it was probably more that he wasn't really listening to me-but still all smiles as always :D

Well, I received confirmation today that Princess does intend to re-purpose the Skywalkers venues on the Grand-class ships. The physical structure will remain, but will be used for something else. What that something else may be was still a mystery for my contact at Princess, but that particular nightclub will be a thing of the past. Apparently this is an idea that has been floating around Princess for awhile, but they have finally decided to actually do it.

I guess I can see their point... the space really isn't used until the evening (yes, I know a lot of folks here go there during the day for a quiet room with a great view as do I), so maybe they want to drive more traffic there at all hours. We'll see.... hopefully they won't make it an added cost venue.

Oh, and the Grand Princess was chosen for the first "remodeling" because she's the lead ship of her class. I'm sure they'll see how, whatever they have planned, pans out before changing other ships.

Here I thought they they would remove it and sell the pieces at auction for a bit of nostalgia. :(

Wouldn't it be nice if they turned Skywalkers into a lounge with live music and no more dj's? Maybe a comedian or other entertainers can have a show there. I do agree that any changes will be based on revenue.

There are so many possibilities, can't wait for the Grand's drydock. BTW Ron Goodman did say he reads CC but not as often as his wife. His wife often lets him know if there is something he should be aware of. :eek:

Off the Skywalkers topic, the Captain did tell us on our cruise this summer that on the new ships (and I think he mentioned the eventual conversion of the older ones) the kids center will be below the gym instead of state rooms. It will allow earlier/longer hours for the gym and no more complaining from guests below about the pounding of the treadmills!

this is kind of a bummer.....we have only sailed on grand class ships and Skywalkers is alot of fun. if it goes away i see princess turning into HAL, the ships die in the evening. would they really make more money having two seatings at a specialty restaurant, then drinks all evening? I think they might increase revenue if they had a bar tender there during the day. I do agree that removing public space would be less attractive, and that club fusion would be a better candidate for a change. imho :)

Celebrity had a great observation room on the Millennium. It later got changed to something like the bar at the edge of the earth with Cirque De Solei (sp?) performers (not performances). Most came back thinking it was too strange and Celebrity ended that. I remember thinking how sad it was that they took a beautiful room and ruined it. I have no clue if it returned back to it's original room or not.

Off the Skywalkers topic, the Captain did tell us on our cruise this summer that on the new ships (and I think he mentioned the eventual conversion of the older ones) the kids center will be below the gym instead of state rooms. It will allow earlier/longer hours for the gym and no more complaining from guests below about the pounding of the treadmills!

Great for all of us earlybirds who frequent the gym. On the Sapphire, on which we just spent nine weeks, the gym opened at 6:00 instead of 7:00.

Seems there would have to be a major refit to get food service into Skywalkers, especially on the earlier ships. A kitchen would need the proper venting, fire controls, etc., and the location is really too far away from a galley to make transporting food up there practical.

Well, I received confirmation today that Princess does intend to re-purpose the Skywalkers venues on the Grand-class ships. The physical structure will remain, but will be used for something else. What that something else may be was still a mystery for my contact at Princess, but that particular nightclub will be a thing of the past. Apparently this is an idea that has been floating around Princess for awhile, but they have finally decided to actually do it.

I guess I can see their point... the space really isn't used until the evening (yes, I know a lot of folks here go there during the day for a quiet room with a great view as do I), so maybe they want to drive more traffic there at all hours. We'll see.... hopefully they won't make it an added cost venue.

Oh, and the Grand Princess was chosen for the first "remodeling" because she's the lead ship of her class. I'm sure they'll see how, whatever they have planned, pans out before changing other ships.

I guess the usage of Skywalkers depends very much on the type of cruise. We were on the Grand west-bound TA in October and found Skywalkers to be filled to capacity starting in the mornings with those who enjoy reading up there, and then in the evenings for Platinum/Elite cocktails. If you didn't get up there by 4PM, there was little chance of finding a place to sit. The passengers on TA's are generally a well-cruised crowd and most of them are Platinum or Elite, hence the larger crowds in certain venues. We'll be onboard for the May 5 east-bound TA as she comes out of dry-dock and hope whatever decision they've made for Skywalkers is the right one.

well then princess please leave my skywalkers alone or replace it with a decent disco somewhere else-i don't want it to turn into a cruise line dead after 10pm-my favorite thing about princess is that it isn't a crazy party line but there is still a nightlife for those who want it. a perfect mix for everyone. If there is no late night disco i really won't be cruising with them anymore.

as for ron i think it was probably more that he wasn't really listening to me-but still all smiles as always :D

Agreed

Hmmm. But that would change the weight and balance, necessitating other alterations. Maybe they can just move some ballast, or maybe only part of it will be removed, and/or with reinforcements added. This will be interesting to follow.

If in fact there are structural concerns, it would certainly look bad for the shipyard. Since Princess just ordered two more, perhaps the story is Not Quite True or the yard is sharing the expense (or giving them a break on the new ships).

Well now THAT'S a little frightening, if true. And, to be honest, with the shaking I've felt up there, fatigue certainly could be possible. Still, YIKES!

Maybe they'd convert Club Fusion into a disco (at least at certain hours), as it doesn't seem to draw much of a crowd for anything else most of the time.

I've heard stories of a unique twisting in the hulls of the Grand Class ships caused by the extended superstructure - so much so that a number of Promenade Deck windows popped out of Golden Princess during a rough Atlantic crossing one year.

The origingal Grand Class trio with the "shopping cart handles" don't actually have Club Fusion - they are still fitted with the Vista Lounge. But of note is the fact that the nightclub on board both Coral and Island Princesses is located in Explorers...that could be the soluntion for these Grand Class sisters.

Hmmm. But that would change the weight and balance, necessitating other alterations. Maybe they can just move some ballast, or maybe only part of it will be removed, and/or with reinforcements added. This will be interesting to follow.

If in fact there are structural concerns, it would certainly look bad for the shipyard. Since Princess just ordered two more, perhaps the story is Not Quite True or the yard is sharing the expense (or giving them a break on the new ships).

skywalkers on the ruby is much closer to the funnel's than on the older ships, perhaps only the oldest grand ships will be "modified"

I've heard stories of a unique twisting in the hulls of the Grand Class ships caused by the extended superstructure - so much so that a number of Promenade Deck windows popped out of Golden Princess during a rough Atlantic crossing one year.

The origingal Grand Class trio with the "shopping cart handles" don't actually have Club Fusion - they are still fitted with the Vista Lounge. But of note is the fact that the nightclub on board both Coral and Island Princesses is located in Explorers...that could be the soluntion for these Grand Class sisters.

skywalkers on the ruby is much closer to the funnel's than on the older ships, perhaps only the oldest grand ships will be "modified"

Probably the reason that Skywalkers was moved forward on Grand-class ships starting with Diamond/Sapphire Princess is because of the "twisting" effect of all that metal over the stern of the ship. Just behind the funnel is probably much more stable for a structure of that type.

Probably the reason that Skywalkers was moved forward on Grand-class ships starting with Diamond/Sapphire Princess is because of the "twisting" effect of all that metal over the stern of the ship. Just behind the funnel is probably much more stable for a structure of that type.

So if it's true that they do have to remove the structure, I wonder if the shipyard has any liability? Princess designs in house, don't they? But the shipyard is the expert in ship building and design. Then again, Grand Princess is over 10 years old - seems like the warranty would have expired.

Interesting. I hadn't heard about that manifestation of structural issues.

I also appreciate the info about the Vista Lounge on the original 3 sisters (I like how you put that.) We've been on all 3 but not since any of them was retrofitted, so I wasn't certain whether they retained the VL or converted it to CF. I have an enduring fondness for the old Vista Lounge (believe it or not, partially because we spent 8 hours there as our muster station during the Star fire.) :eek:

Also, we haven't been on the Coral or Island (but will be next April) and I was wondering where their disco was. I know it's located "internally" on the Sun Class ships.

This will be interesting to follow.

Archived