itinerary tour help, juneau/skagway dogsledding, juneau whale watching?

Sailkeywest

Hi there, I just was hoping to get some quick tour advice from those with any input. I was thinking of doing dogsledding in either Skagway or Juneau (is there any benefit of doing one over the other?) and doing whale watching in Juneau. The whale watching is with Alaska Galore tours in Juneau.

The other options for Juneau would be to go ATV'ing or ziplining. I was thinking of skipping the White Pass train ride in Skagway altogether.

Any advice or input? Much appreciated!

Hi there, I just was hoping to get some quick tour advice from those with any input. I was thinking of doing dogsledding in either Skagway or Juneau (is there any benefit of doing one over the other?) and doing whale watching in Juneau. The whale watching is with Alaska Galore tours in Juneau.

The other options for Juneau would be to go ATV'ing or ziplining. I was thinking of skipping the White Pass train ride in Skagway altogether.

Can't help with the Dogs. You can only do so many things. The White pass railway has outstanding scenery. Just wanted to make sure you know that. It's not some gimmicky tour for the kiddies.

Skagway glacier dog sledding is slightly less canceled, compared to Juneau, which is the most canceled tour. ALWAYS have back up plans, meaning, ideas of how to fill your time, phone numbers handy for last minute bookings and the decision made- IF offered, if you are willing to go on a regular glacier helicopter landing flight.

Since you want to "skip" the White Pass RR, then do so.

Thank you both, BIG Steve and Budget Queen for your valuable advice! Your time and experience is very much appreciated :)

Thank you especially BQ for taking the time to respond to my many questions over the last year, you have been a HUGE help in helping me plan this dream cruise!

I have read that the White Pass Railroad is amazing, it is just that I did not want to jam pack our days with tours and really wanted to do the dog sledding. I would dearly love to go on the train as it sounds amazing, I just would also like some time to be able to just explore the port towns on our own.

So far we have booked Dog Sledding in Skagway and Misty Fjords flightseeing in Ketchikan with Taquan Air. I hope that I am making some good choices!

Thank you both, BIG Steve and Budget Queen for your valuable advice! Your time and experience is very much appreciated :)

Thank you especially BQ for taking the time to respond to my many questions over the last year, you have been a HUGE help in helping me plan this dream cruise!

I have read that the White Pass Railroad is amazing, it is just that I did not want to jam pack our days with tours and really wanted to do the dog sledding. I would dearly love to go on the train as it sounds amazing, I just would also like some time to be able to just explore the port towns on our own.

So far we have booked Dog Sledding in Skagway and Misty Fjords flightseeing in Ketchikan with Taquan Air. I hope that I am making some good choices!

Thank you, sincerely, for the kind words. And, yes, you have some great touring lined up. :)

We faced similar decision.

Did whale watching and Mendenhall in Juneau, great combo!

For Skagway did the Heli-glacier and dog sledding, can't comment about is it better or worst then Juneau, but we were lucky with clear skies, first flight / sled of the day. Dog sledding is pricey, short time on the snow but a timeless experience if one isn't canceled. Do be ready that because its so high up on the moutain that it is often canceled and have alternative plans if it is what you are doing.

Thanks Chip, we are planning on doing a similar tour plan, with whale watching (Alaska Galore tours 2 for 1 coupon from the toursaver) and Temsco Heli/dog sledding in Skagway as BQ (and many others) have advised that Skagway dog sled tours are less often cancelled (fingers crossed).

The dog sledding tour is quite expensive, but as I have read in various reviews that it is a "once in a lifetime experience." We don't have snow here in Florida, so playing in some snow would be fun. :)

We did the heli glacier dog sled in Skagway in June 09. It was great and glad we did it.

Another option to consider should your flight get cancelled and there is still time to get it is the trip that goes by train up the pass, then out to carcross and emerald lake, then bus return. The trip runs in both directions- depending on the ship making the arrangements. At carcross trading post, you can purchase a dog cart ride ( this is the way they train without snow) for around $40. They did not include the info that Cart ride was available in the description...... Just a thought. Carcross trading post is where they serve the BBQ chicken and homemade doughnuts. Check for that detail in the description. BTW the scenery is outstanding.

We did the heli glacier dog sled in Skagway in June 09. It was great and glad we did it.

Another option to consider should your flight get cancelled and there is still time to get it is the trip that goes by train up the pass, then out to carcross and emerald lake, then bus return. The trip runs in both directions- depending on the ship making the arrangements. At carcross trading post, you can purchase a dog cart ride ( this is the way they train without snow) for around $40. They did not include the info that Cart ride was available in the description...... Just a thought. Carcross trading post is where they serve the BBQ chicken and homemade doughnuts. Check for that detail in the description. BTW the scenery is outstanding.

Ooooh, thanks for that juicy tidbit! I really had no idea what we would do if our tour was cancelled, that is some good info :)

*adding to favorites*

Ooooh, thanks for that juicy tidbit! I really had no idea what we would do if our tour was cancelled, that is some good info :)

*adding to favorites*

However, this recommended rail combo tour takes about 7-8 hours, so it would only be available to you in very limited cases. I always strongly recommend that people, find out about other tour options that may be of interest, have phone numbers handy, and know, IF you will accept a regular helicopter glacier landing- if offered. If not, then immediately get on your phone and try to fill your time wisely.

We did the White Pass Railroad and Chilkoot tour in June and it was the best excursion of our cruise. The scenery and history is something I am so glad we did not miss out on. In fact, I enlarged and framed 4 pictures from our cruise and 3 of them are scenery from the WPRR trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Pricey and priceless if that is possible :D

I also worried a lot about cancellation, my approach was to book the latest or earliest flight and then regardless you can still plan a full day regardless. We ended up doing the early one, first flight of the day. It was the highlight of many highlights if that is possible, and for better or worst the puppies were the a high point :eek:

Thanks Chip, we are planning on doing a similar tour plan, with whale watching (Alaska Galore tours 2 for 1 coupon from the toursaver) and Temsco Heli/dog sledding in Skagway as BQ (and many others) have advised that Skagway dog sled tours are less often cancelled (fingers crossed).

The dog sledding tour is quite expensive, but as I have read in various reviews that it is a "once in a lifetime experience." We don't have snow here in Florida, so playing in some snow would be fun. :)

831654392_675DogSledding.jpg.333707850b9b7f3677df81fc2b3dacf3.jpg

1758374468_695Meetingthepups.jpg.76ed1729fb77d5a58e821b065055a286.jpg

Pricey and priceless if that is possible :D

I also worried a lot about cancellation, my approach was to book the latest or earliest flight and then regardless you can still plan a full day regardless. We ended up doing the early one, first flight of the day. It was the highlight of many highlights if that is possible, and for better or worst the puppies were the a high point :eek:

We reserved an 11:15 flight, that is all they said that they had available other than a 3:15 flight or somethin and I reserved a month ago! Did they fib to me? :P

Thank you for adding the part about the "highlight of the highlights," it helps me to not choke on the cost so much! I have read that in many places on the net, that it is expensive, but worth every penny. I am just hoping it to be true!

How long do you actually stay on the snow and how long sledding? How long is actually tour in skagway? For dog sledding?

The actual dog sledding is probably 15 to 20 minutes. Only a couple mile loop.

You are on the "snow" a lot longer. :) Flight time round trip is usually about 45-60 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Sailkeywest.... I've been reading this thread and noticed you're going on the Alaska Galore whale watching tour. Have you heard good things about them? I know there's a coupon in the book.

Let me know!

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn, we chose to go with Alaska Galore whale watching because we had the 2 for 1 coupon from the Alaskan Toursaver. All I really know of them is that they work with local boats in the area to arrange tours.

What I recently found out is that this tour operator offers free dropoff after the tour to Mendenhall Glacier. Bonus! I really did not want to miss Mendenhall and now we don't have to!

If you plan on using the toursaver coupon, I'd book early as most tour operators only allow one coupon per tour. You have to have the book number when booking (but if you don't have the book yet, I'd go ahead and call them to see if they could still hold your spot for the coupon).

P.S. There is also a coupon for ERA helicopters 2 for 1 in the book for Juneau, but it is not good on Mondays (check your itinerary for port times).

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Well, the Alaskan Toursaver Guide costs $99.95 + shipping. If you only plan to use it for the ALaska Galore whale watching tour, it might not be worth it to purchase the book. Just google for the alaskan toursaver and it will take you to the link explaining the benefits of the book.

I do know that most tour operators only take one coupon per tour, so check with the individual tour operators prior to buying the book to assure that they still have space for 'coupon holders.'

Also, read the fine print of each coupon offered by clicking on each link for each coupon on the web page. I found out after buying the book that we would not be able to use the ERA helicopter tour coupon in Juneau because the coupon was only offered 'tuesday through sunday,' -- and we were due to be in Juneau on Monday! It was listed on the web page but I guess I just didn't read the fine print.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

In July, we did glacier dog sledding through TEMSCO in Juneau. One of the best experiences in our lives!!! You can read about my experience and see photos here:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/438/

In Skagway, we did the White Pass & Yukon Railroad. If you are still considering it, you can read about it here:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/434/

Archived