choice air premium economy

cruise kitty

thanks, I'm flying out of LAX, & to avoid any weather delays I want to fly non stop to London first, we'll be going 5 days ahead so if there are any strikes or volcano problems, we'll still have time to make our way to Rome. I'm looking at either BA or ANZ premium economy, but the choice air does not seem to have premium economy as an option at all.

Also, from what I understand united economy plus is just more leg room, ANZ premium economy is it's own cabin & service.

I wouldn't choose on the basis of food but rather on the comfort of the seat since most airlines have cut back on food quality. United Airlines has the worst premium economy of those mentioned. Only 34" pitch which used to be the standard for economy in the good old days. British Air has 38" pitch and the seats have leg rests which is a big plus but the food is just about identical to economy. Air New Zealand is the best of the ones mentioned since it has 38-40" pitch and offers more quality in their food as well as better service in their premium economy. The rule of thumb is that the Asian airlines have the best food and service with some of the European airlines in second place -but certainly not Alitalia.

All American airlines trail in last place IMHO. Terminal 5 at Heathrow which is used by almost all BA flights is a wonderful new facility. If you want to check out the layout of all planes on major airlines so that you can compare how much room each has in premium economy go to www.seatguru.com. Be sure to know what kind of plane you would be flying because within an airline there are sometimes different configurations and space depending on the type of equipment.

I wouldn't choose on the basis of food but rather on the comfort of the seat since most airlines have cut back on food quality. United Airlines has the worst premium economy of those mentioned. Only 34" pitch which used to be the standard for economy in the good old days. British Air has 38" pitch and the seats have leg rests which is a big plus but the food is just about identical to economy. Air New Zealand is the best of the ones mentioned since it has 38-40" pitch and offers more quality in their food as well as better service in their premium economy. The rule of thumb is that the Asian airlines have the best food and service with some of the European airlines in second place -but certainly not Alitalia.

All American airlines trail in last place IMHO. Terminal 5 at Heathrow which is used by almost all BA flights is a wonderful new facility. If you want to check out the layout of all planes on major airlines so that you can compare how much room each has in premium economy go to www.seatguru.com. Be sure to know what kind of plane you would be flying because within an airline there are sometimes different configurations and space depending on the type of equipment.

Thanks for your tips, we flew ANZ via LHR terminal 5 last year. We had P.E. thru ANZ & Business class for the LHR to FCO thru BA, we would love to duplicate this itinerary thru choice air, but it doesn't seem to be offered. I am thinking that maybe I need to give them a call. My second choice would be BA from LAX to LHR to FCO, premium economy, third is Air France; but Premium economy just doesn't seem to be offered thru Choice Air. I think you'd have to offer me free air fare to get me to fly Alatalia:)

p.s. agree about the Asian air lines, DH has logged many miles flying Business Class to the Philippines & Indonesia

Thanks for your tips, we flew ANZ via LHR terminal 5 last year. We had P.E. thru ANZ & Business class for the LHR to FCO thru BA, we would love to duplicate this itinerary thru choice air, but it doesn't seem to be offered. I am thinking that maybe I need to give them a call. My second choice would be BA from LAX to LHR to FCO, premium economy, third is Air France; but Premium economy just doesn't seem to be offered thru Choice Air. I think you'd have to offer me free air fare to get me to fly Alatalia:)

If you fly premium economy with BA, the European portion of your flight out of Heathrow will be in economy. Not such a big deal, however, since even if you fly bus. class you just sit in the front of the plane where the middle seat is blocked (3 + 3) but the comfort level is about the same.

...but Premium economy just doesn't seem to be offered thru Choice Air....

You might try calling the Choice Air Plus number from Celebrity's site. My impression from the Celebrity info is that the Choice Air Plus has more flexibility than what is available through the online booking engine for the Choice Air system. I think there is a $50/pp extra fee for Choice Air but it is waived if someone is a Captains Club member (prior Celebrity Cruiser).

Trying to book our flights lax to rome premium economy, (would prefer ANZ to LHR then BA to FCO), but it doesn't seem to be offered? Anyone have any experience with this?

I was able to book premium economy on BA by calling Celebrity Choice Air. Premium economy was not a choice at the website, but was not an issue by making the reservation over the phone.

Have a great cruise.

Could someone explain to me what "Premium Economy" Means?:rolleyes:

It is an economy class seat (usually 3 across) with additional leg room. Some airlines have separate cabin, differnet meals, etc. Basically a step up from basic economy, but lower than business...and priced closer to economy.

Could someone explain to me what "Premium Economy" Means?:rolleyes:

It differs depending on airline, on ANZ & BA it's very nice. ANZ has a separate check in, priority boarding & you get more luggage allowance. Separate cabin (depending on the plane, & you use the business class lavatories, & are served the same meals & unlimited drinks as business class. On BA it's not quite as nice, but still better than flying coach. It's usually about twice the price of economy. For long haul flights, it's well worth it imho, we're flying from the West coast to Rome, it's a very long flight.

• 2 weeks later...
eddiethekub and cruise kitty, Thanks:)

I must check to see which airlines I could use for a TA. I know Air Canada doesn't have it.

British Airways, Qantas, Air New Zealand, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, KLM (I think) offer true premium economy. Each airline calls it something different. There are others but I believe those are the main airlines offering it transatlantic.

United's Economy Plus is not really premium economy, but just the same seat, food, and service as economy with a couple of extra inches legroom.

My question would be why you would be inclined to use "Choice Air." Shop around on other sites and you might even do better using a reputable consolidator which might be able to get you a good deal on Business Class. We have found that cruise lines limit their air arrangements to only airlines that will pay them a commission. This means that some airlines are not even participants in the cruise line air options (Southwest would be a good domestic example). As to the seat pitch (leg room) and other amenities we love looking at seatguru.com which gives you unbaised specifications on each airline and aircraft type.

Hank

It's silly not to check out all resources and then use the one with the best all-around deal for you (including price, terms, flexibility, etc.). You "might" do better, but you also might not. I got business class from Charlotte to Venice one way for just under $2,000 p/p on Lufthansa. I could also have chosen Delta for about the same cost. Both airlines wanted about $5,500 on their sites and the best price I found using many sources (Kayak, Vayama, Travelpapa and others) was about $3,800 (lousy schedules, 2 or 3 connections and poor airlines).

Choice Air also gave me an option none of the other sources had. All I had to pay was the $25 p/p fee and about $140 p/p more in airfare to get a confirmed seat with no money due until final payment. I could have saved the $140 p/p and gotten a fare that could be refunded with a $175 penalty but I would have had to pay for it right away. And Lufthansa has our reservation so I have already selected seats for our October 2011 flights. Try that with a consolidator or any airline without paying upfront for the ticket.

My question would be why you would be inclined to use "Choice Air." Shop around on other sites and you might even do better using a reputable consolidator which might be able to get you a good deal on Business Class. We have found that cruise lines limit their air arrangements to only airlines that will pay them a commission. This means that some airlines are not even participants in the cruise line air options (Southwest would be a good domestic example). As to the seat pitch (leg room) and other amenities we love looking at seatguru.com which gives you unbaised specifications on each airline and aircraft type.

Hank

Ok, I hope this is ok to ask within forum guidelines, would you trust BT, as far as consolidators go... so far I'm liking their price.

thanks Mr. Hank

You may want to check Air Canada. They do not have Economy Plus, but have had a number of good Business Class deals lately. You could fly LAX-YYZ (Toronto) direct, non-stop, then YYZ-FCO direct, non-stop. The bonus of changing planes in North America is that it's still done during "waking hours", whereas when changing planes in Europe in route from North America you typically have to change planes at something like 4 am on our internal clocks!

Ok, I hope this is ok to ask within forum guidelines, would you trust BT, as far as consolidators go... so far I'm liking their price.

thanks Mr. Hank

Not sure if it fits the guidelines, but we would always be very cautious in dealing with any consolidator. As my lawyer would say, always read the fine print and use a major credit card for some protection. That being said, lots of folks have used consolidators for years with terrific results.

Hank

Archived