Why No Network TV on Cruises ?

wee-haggis

US Network TV won't necessarily (it probably isn't) broadcast from the same satellites as the feed that the cruise ship tracks now so it would be an additional expense for the ships to be able to track another satellite.
Then how is the Super Bowl (and similar programs from US) shown now?

Also, satellite transmissions target an area. If you aren't near the US, reception of satellites transmitting the domestic US networks would be a problem.

The US channels could simply be dropped until the ship is back in range.

Then how is the Super Bowl (and similar programs from US) shown now?

The US channels could simply be dropped until the ship is back in range.

The Super Bowl has such high demand internationally that the satellite operators set up a special feed for that game only. As I mentioned earlier, my ship will pay around US$45,000 this year to receive the game - minus the great advertisements.

U.S. and other channels that are lost when the ship moves out of the satellite footprint are already dropped until the ship is back in range. That's the way we have been doing it for decades.

Okay, I was wrong about there not being any additional hardware required (possibly), but still the reason that US broadcast networks (other than Faux now) are not shown on HAL ships has absolutely nothing to do with the "difficulty of keeping a receiver dish trained on the transmitting satellite from a moving ship" as igraf suggested in post #2, and everything to do with cost. Correct?

Too bad that DirectTV doesn't exist outside the US Mainland.

Well, JetBlue mainly flies the US skies... ;) I am assuming that jetBlue's TV still works for its flights to the Caribbean - I have not been on one of those flights yet.

Well, JetBlue mainly flies the US skies... ;) I am assuming that jetBlue's TV still works for its flights to the Caribbean - I have not been on one of those flights yet.

The TV doesn't work the entire flight.

Okay, I was wrong about there not being any additional hardware required (possibly), but still the reason that US broadcast networks (other than Faux now) are not shown on HAL ships has absolutely nothing to do with the "difficulty of keeping a receiver dish trained on the transmitting satellite from a moving ship" as igraf suggested in post #2, and everything to do with cost. Correct?

Not really. Read my long post above. It's rights.

The Super Bowl has such high demand internationally that the satellite operators set up a special feed for that game only. As I mentioned earlier, my ship will pay around US$45,000 this year to receive the game - minus the great advertisements.

U.S. and other channels that are lost when the ship moves out of the satellite footprint are already dropped until the ship is back in range. That's the way we have been doing it for decades.

For events like this - the networks either have the rights to show outside of the US and set up a special feed - or - they sell their feed to another network outside of the US.

Carnival had the network channels but they were local to Denver, I think.

Correct and that was sometime ago. They used to have the NETLINK feeds.

Actually it is not allowed by FCC rules to transmit out of market. It has to do with local station rights to the market. So no network shows without an exemption.

Most cruise lines use MTN satellite services for their TV feeds and their Internet and crew services. There is only so much bandwidth in that pipe so what they can offer is the bare minimum Off course the content is the cheapest (junk from Turner - cnni, tcm, cartoon etc.. ).

Not really. Read my long post above. It's rights.

Rights often involve costs: "- or - they sell their feed to another network outside of the US." and that network sells it to the ships.

It's still not the "difficulty of keeping a receiver dish trained on the transmitting satellite from a moving ship".

Rights often involve costs: "- or - they sell their feed to another network outside of the US." and that network sells it to the ships.

It's still not the "difficulty of keeping a receiver dish trained on the transmitting satellite from a moving ship".

Correct

but they are all selling HAL products and services or indirectly sponsered by DI and Del Sol.:eek:

We have been on Princess and HAL when they broadcast the Academy Awards live in the theater - and there were no commercials, just breaks in the broadcast. All were RSVP charters and Paul Williams - one of their regular entertainers/cruise directors - would do commentary and trivia quizes during the breaks. On HAL they also happened to be on formal night - quite fun to watch the awards live with an audience and all dressed up. :)

Personally, I don't want to watch TV period when I'm on a cruise. If I do, it's usually the bridge cam, the map, or maybe a bit of some movie as I nod off.

I do enjoy watching tv on an airplane - as there's nothing much else to do when you're in a 2x3 space strapped into a metal cylinder hurtling 800km/hr through the atmosphere - but on a cruise? I'd rather be out and about!

Archived