Unfamiliar with Port Canaveral

Sunshine101

Hi folks!

Having always sailed out of Miami, our next cruise with our 2 little girls is out of Port Canaveral. I'm slightly out of my comfort zone (haha) since I love Miami, sos what can I expect at Port Canaveral. Where do I fly into? Orlando? How is Port Canaveral compared to Miami? Where do you usually stay pre-cruise.

Any tips would be fabu!

Thanks!

Hi folks!

Having always sailed out of Miami, our next cruise with our 2 little girls is out of Port Canaveral. I'm slightly out of my comfort zone (haha) since I love Miami, sos what can I expect at Port Canaveral. Where do I fly into? Orlando? How is Port Canaveral compared to Miami? Where do you usually stay pre-cruise.

Any tips would be fabu!

Thanks!

Never been to Miami port but I have been to PC. Your cheapest flights will be likely into Orlando (MCO) which is about 45 minutes to an hour from the port. There are many different transportation options available from the airport.

Alot of people here recommend the Radisson or the Country Inn and Suites to stay pre cruise. I stayed at the LaQuinta Inn Cocoa Beach about 5 miles south of the port and it was just fine.

Canaveral is very easy to get in and out of.. We have stayed at the Radisson Hotel, which the closest to the pier. It is not beach front but across the street from the ocean. They have a shuttle to take you to the port. The hotel is nice, has a cruise rate that includes breakfast. The pool is a charming resort style groto with water falls and very relaxing. The staff is pleasant and helpfull.:):):)

Thanks for the responses!

Is it best to stay at a hotel closest to the pier, or to the airport? I guess hotels closest to MCO wont offer a shuttle to the pier, too far, right?

Storm1of4, what type of transportation did you take to the Radisson from the airport?

Actually Country Inn and Suites is both newer and closer to the port.

It runs about the same price as Radisson.

If you dont need parking, Id be hiting the travel sites, like hotwire, since you dont have to pick one with free cruise parking, you can stay anywhere. I only picked Radisson for the free cruise parking.

You can also stay on Cocoa Beach which has a public beach on the ocean. Shuttle is $5 pp from Cocoa Beach and $4 pp from Canaveral.

The biggest hotel is probably Ron Juan (known now worldwide for their surf shops) but they have a hotel in Cocoa Beach.

Hi folks!

Any tips would be fabu!

Thanks!

Don't want to disappoint you, but PC is NO Miami. It's simple, a straight shot from Orlando airport on the 528. The port itself is a working port, not loaded with shopping, but shopping is nearby. So is Kennedy Space Center in direct view and has tours at a fee.

I know nothing of hotels as I live nearby, I'll leave that up to others to answer. I just go there and park, but it's expensive on port property.

Thanks for the responses!

Is it best to stay at a hotel closest to the pier, or to the airport? I guess hotels closest to MCO wont offer a shuttle to the pier, too far, right?

Storm1of4, what type of transportation did you take to the Radisson from the airport?

I would stay closest to the pier in this case. There is nothing to do if you stay in a hotel near the MCO airport. But near the pier you have the beach and shops of Cocoa Beach. Cocoa is still a small town. A very nice little florida beach town still.

Well, Sunshine, in my case I live in Central Florida, so we drove. The pier is a mere hour from from home. But we have gone to the Radisson and stayd the night before the cruise to relax and extend the vacation a day or so. The kids love the pool and I like Cocoa Beach. I always park myself at the pier garage. It is so very easy. The parking is covered and it is easy to get in and out. You can walk from your parked car to the terminal front door in less than 3 minutes. The pier still has a small town feel to it. The signs are easy to follow.

Just an FYI

This summer when we sailed the Freedom of the Seas we stayed at the Raddison, well, so probably did everyone else.

We opted to take a cab over to the pier, and we were glad we did.

Door to door service at 10:30 am.

Quickly through security, and in the second group to board the ship.

(We had a suite). On board taking pictures and leisurely strolling around by 11:15am.

Even though the shuttle is free---

For $15 cab ride well worth it.

Safe travels.

Hi folks!

Any tips would be fabu!

Thanks!

You have asked the magic question with the magic answer:

Click HERE and HERE.

We're sailing out of Port Canaveral next March and here's what we're doing:

We fly into Orlando the day ahead.

Booked Budget Rental Car for a ONE WAY from the airport to Port Canaveral (about an hour or so less drive).

Drop car off at Budget in Port Canaveral and they will shuttle you to your hotel.

We're staying at Country Inns and Suites which is very close to the port and to Budget.

The next morning after breakfast (included at the hotel) we'll get a shuttle from the hotel to the port.

After the cruise we will either call Budget or make arrangements ahead and they will pick us up at the port and take us to the rental place.

We have a car booked for another one way from Port Canaveral to the Orlando airport.

Drop the car at the airport and fly on home.

Book as far out as you can for the car. We did that and wound up with $30 (all taxes included) each way.

Hope this helps.

Booked Budget Rental Car for a ONE WAY from the airport to Port Canaveral (about an hour or so less drive).

Drop car off at Budget in Port Canaveral and they will shuttle you to your hotel.

We're staying at Country Inns and Suites which is very close to the port and to Budget.

The next morning after breakfast (included at the hotel) we'll get a shuttle from the hotel to the port.

After the cruise we will either call Budget or make arrangements ahead and they will pick us up at the port and take us to the rental place.

We have a car booked for another one way from Port Canaveral to the Orlando airport.

Book as far out as you can for the car. We did that and wound up with $30 (all taxes included) each way.

Hope this helps.

Great Plan!

I would stay closest to the pier in this case. There is nothing to do if you stay in a hotel near the MCO airport. But near the pier you have the beach and shops of Cocoa Beach. Cocoa is still a small town. A very nice little florida beach town still.

Just so that those that are not aware realize that Cocoa is on the Mainland and Cocoa Beach is on the Barrier Island some 18 mile away. No one should stay in Cocoa if coming to take a cruise! I am in each nearly every day.

If flying into MCO, take a reliable shuttle and stay at a Cocoa Beach hotel on the beach! A great way to start your vacation. Then get on the hotel shuttle to Port Canaveral early on your departure day to start your cruise around Noon. You paid for it so why not get your monies worth!!! Bon Voyage.

The Raddison and Country Inn and Suites are close to the cruise ships but are off the beaten path as far as walking distance to the beach etc.

The LaQuinta Oceanfront is only like 2 miles away and right on the beach.

Everything is within walking distance, restaurants, supermarket, drug store, liquor and wine store. It is nice and right next to the cocoa beach pier.

They use executive vip limousine and sedan service for transportation to and from MCO/ HOTEL/ CRUISE SHIPS.

LaQuinta inn and suites on Hendry ave. in cocoa beach 321-784-3126

They will set up your transportation as well.

We really like Port Canaveral. We stay at Comfort Inn and Suites or Residence Inn. I have used http://beachlineshuttle.net/ for shuttle. They were right there waiting for us when we got off the plane, went and got our luggage, and on our way. They were waiting for us when we got off the ship. There was good correspondence. I confirmed a couple months out, via email. They called the day before and day of pick ups.

Hope this helps.

KAWS: Another Ontario'an! Whereabouts are you from? Thanks for the step by step guide to what you are doing!

We really like Port Canaveral. We stay at Comfort Inn and Suites or Residence Inn. I have used http://beachlineshuttle.net/ for shuttle. They were right there waiting for us when we got off the plane, went and got our luggage, and on our way. They were waiting for us when we got off the ship. There was good correspondence. I confirmed a couple months out, via email. They called the day before and day of pick ups.

Thanks Suezyq....may I ask how much you paid? Thank you! :)

i just realized lol i can not remember the hotel name we are staying at, im only slightly freaking, my daughter made the reservations and got us a good deal , i just need the money hehehehe. but in the am im waking her up and writing it down in my notebook.

i was going to suggest those forum sites, i learned so much from them and it made booking our room really easy.

i do know , its in the quality family group and they set up our shuttle thru raddisson and already gave us our time to leave for the port so that was really handy.

Is this the location you are dropping off at?

8401 ASTRONAUT BOULEVARD - CC5 moreInfo.gif

CAPE CANAVERAL

I am looking to do the same thing in July but will have to keep the car overnight as it appears the Budget location closes at 5 PM and we won't make it there until about 6 PM.

I am wondering if they will offer us a ride to the port after we drop it off... or we could call a cab from the Budget to the port.

i was checking the roll call on the carnival site and found this info, it might help....

The Carnival transfers from Orlando Airport to Port Canaveral were $70 roundtrip and you are on the bus with 40+ other people. We were able to get an 18 passenger Hummer Limo (which the kids loved!!) for the ride to the ship and vans on the way back, for alot less than $70 per person (including gratuities!)

Call them -

http://www.elite-transportation.com

407-996-7171 or 866-214-7888

Is this the location you are dropping off at?

8401 ASTRONAUT BOULEVARD - CC5 moreInfo.gif

CAPE CANAVERAL

I am looking to do the same thing in July but will have to keep the car overnight as it appears the Budget location closes at 5 PM and we won't make it there until about 6 PM.

I am wondering if they will offer us a ride to the port after we drop it off... or we could call a cab from the Budget to the port.

Budget will take you to the ship.

Archived