Introverts + Carnival = ?Mistake?

asmith19

My husband and I are both distinctly introverted. We've booked a 5-night cruise on the Carnival Fantasy, and the more I read the more worried I become.

So much of what I read says the key to enjoying a cruise is "meeting new people." While introverts can very much enjoy meeting new people, it tires us and requires a good bit of recovery time. It's just the way we are built.

I'm scared that we'll end up watching movies in our cabin and ordering room service the whole trip. Can some cruise-experienced introverts reassure us that we won't be miserable, please??

You won't be miserable, just initially, a little outside of your comfort zone.

My first cruise on Caribbean Princess I was happily hiding in the corner of the pool, cooling off and minding my own business, trying not to be noticed...next thing I knew I was in the middle of a cannon ball contest staged by some rather rowdy 20-something-year-old-men.

I tried to slink out of the pool. They weren't having any of that. Nor were the people sitting on deck and watching. I was on this cruise - people cruise to have fun right? We were all gonna have fun including me! And you know what? I did have fun. I made friends that i said hi to the rest of the trip.

yes, it was out of my comfort zone. Was it worth it? yes.

Just realize that 99% of the people are there to have fun, 50% of them are outgoing. If you meet their outgoing, friendly spirit with your own friendliness - it's all good.

That said, i prefer dining at a table for 2 most nights, and yes, sometimes we end up ordering room service and watching movies in our room after a full day of interacting with everyone and their mother. And you know what? it's ok. It's my vacation and as long as I'm enjoying it, there's no problem.

I've even learned not to be as introverted in the rest of my life because of my positive experiences interacting with people while cruising or on vacation.

Have a blast!

Meg

I've never tried Carnival, but on Princess we pretty much go our own way. We swim, we read, we go to movies on board - not in the room. We take in the occasional show, but we don't sit up front with the activities for fear of being dragged into activities!!:eek:

We usually book a balcony and often have a glass of wine on our balcony, but we are happy to go to bars too!

We meet people for a chat here and there but we are not cruising to meet people and enjoy our chats then mostly go our own way.

We love the dining room and select a big table at traditional dining so that we can really get to know our table mates. We have never been disappinted or needed a change of table. We would request it if we needed it!

For us, cruising is great and not too social! You will have a great time!

I too am an introvert and very shy around new people, but I force myself out of my comfort zone in baby steps. I've only been on one cruise and we had early dining. I forced myself to make small talk with our tablemates the first couple of nights and by then end of the cruise was a lot more comfortable. I think it helped that we had traditional dining and had the same dinner companions each night. Just take baby steps that you are comfortable with. Just smile, say hi, and ask them how their day was. You'll be surprised how far that goes.

Cherry

Hi!

You won't be miserable so don't worry...You can be as involved and meet new people as little or as much as you want...There is no need to camp out in your room or anything like that...just partake in all the activities that you want but if you don't want to strike up conversations and things with other people you really don't have to...I do suggest that if you go to the comedian shows don't sit in the front row because the comedians do pick on those folks....There will be All types of people on your ship and many of those people will be doing their own thing....Everyone will be crusing for different reasons...Some are more outgoing than others but that's everyday life....So relax and have a great time in whatever way works best for you!

Iv never heard that about cruising .. that it depends on meeting people .. and Iv cruised more than a bit. what Iv heard is it is what you make of it. Go with a good attitude. Plenty of places to sit by yourselves and hang out all day long by yourselves. Its whatever you decide to do with your days.

I'm an extreme introvert. I found Carnival uncomfortable, but managed to find places to get away from the party folks..and not in my cabin! :o Now that they have flexible dining and I'm not required to eat with strangers, I think my experience there might be more pleasurable. I much prefer a more "sedate" experience, like I found on Princess and now Hurtigruten. I haven't experienced HAL yet, but in a couple of years we're planning to go back to Alaska on HAL, so I'll see how that experience is.

But regardless, we had a good time on Carnival - just not our favorite.

You won't be miserable. I am introverted by nature but find I can more easily make social connections through shared experience. A cruise is definitely a shared experience that helps break the ice. We've met many great friends through our cruises and as a result have an expanded social circle.

Personally, if I were an introvert, I probably would have looked at cruise lines like Celebrity or Princess. They have less announcements and less dining room dancing waiter antics.

That said, you do not have to participate in anything. You can easily just retreat to your room or a quiet corner of the ship. You will be fine.

My husband and I are both distinctly introverted. We've booked a 5-night cruise on the Carnival Fantasy, and the more I read the more worried I become.

So much of what I read says the key to enjoying a cruise is "meeting new people." While introverts can very much enjoy meeting new people, it tires us and requires a good bit of recovery time. It's just the way we are built.

I'm scared that we'll end up watching movies in our cabin and ordering room service the whole trip. Can some cruise-experienced introverts reassure us that we won't be miserable, please??

I am a little perplexed by what part of the cruise you feel you need to “meet people” if you didn’t want to?

During the day, for breakfast/lunch, eating at the buffet, you dine with your husband at your own area at the Lido deck. All your activities on sea days or while in port, everyone is going about doing their won thing. You don’t need to talk to anyone if you don’t want to.

The only “exposure risk” you have is in the main dining room at dinner. If you really prefer not to mingle with others, as soon as you board, go to the dining area and speak with the head waiter to see if they can secure a table for two for just the two of you. If they can do that, you are set.

If they can’t, then ask for the biggest table they have, say 10 or 12 and be seated with other couples/groups. In a big setting like that, you won’t feel much need to socialize as much as chances are in a big table, there will be at least 1 or 2 extroverts that can carry the conversation for the big table. You can just nod and smile and before you know it the dinner is over.

Are there areas that specifically cause you stress? Carnival will provide many opportunities for you’re to leave your comfort zone is you so choose, but I don’t think they ever force anyone to do something they are not comfortable in doing so.

Personally speaking I think Carnival is the best cruise line for introverts as you can slowly leave your comfort zone and not feel like you are “out there” as there will be many extroverts leading the charge, so you will never feel the lime light will be shining on you. Whereas a more sedate ship with many introverts on board, then you would stand out more if you do something different.

Just my 30 seconds attempt to be Dr. Phil…

I don't think you have anything to worry about. My boyfriend and I will be going on our first cruise in a few months and we are both very introverted as well. In fact I'm such an introvert that I really often have people ask me why I never talk. I'm not worried about the cruise though. Just like anywhere else I think that you can choose whether you want to be social or not. If you want to go to shows or go to the pool or whatever just do it. You don't have to participate in any of the social activities if you don't want to. Just focus on enjoying yourself and forget about the other people.

You no more have to socialize with other passengers than you do with the people in line at the grocery store. All you have to do is be polite as you would in any situation where you encounter strangers in public. People enjoy all kinds of experiences on a cruise, from public frivolity to spending the whole cruise reading a book in a quiet spot on deck. Nobody else can tell you how to enjoy your cruise. My wife who is extremely outgoing and has actually made friends in line at the grocery store hardly socializes at all when we cruise. I who am much more introverted normally do socialize more that usual when cruising. You will be fine and have no need to hide in your cabin.

I have never heard that either. We might chit chat with those sitting by us on the deck, or talk with those in the DR, but have never felt we are on a cruise to meet people. Once we were approached by a couple to have breakfast with them. DH had a t-shirt on of our son's football team. They happen to have kids at the same high school. Don't worry about it. Who will know if you are making friends or not?!

first take your fun attitude with you, it will be fun.

i am going on my first cruise and i seldom leave my house unless its a necessity. but im bringing my kids, one of the reasons is if im too far out of a comfort zone they can go do their own thing and leave me with a book and a drink.

also you might meet some friendly people with similar lifestyles on the roll call and maybe could be dinner partners which might make that time easier.

I tend to be an introvert, but I do try to force myself to do things out of my comfort zone (like run for office in high school - ran unopposed so I ending up winning or doing standup comedy, where I met my future husband afterwards as he was in the audience). He had already been on a cruise and tends to be friendly, so that made it easier. As others have said, traditional dining at a big table can make it easier as there's enough people leading the conversation. Just be prepared to answer some basic questions that are pretty standard: Where are you from, What do you do for a living, Is this your first cruise? If anyone asks something more personal (like salary, religion, political stance), you don't have to answer. Just shrug and point to some of the food on the table and say "that looks delicious."

One thing to expect is that in the buffet, if you sit at a table with some chairs empty, don't be surprised if passengers come by and ask if they can sit with you. That's the cruising way. Also with breakfast and lunch in the main dining room, often seating is open, which means that when you show up at the door, you'll be taken to an available table and seated with other passengers.

I am an extrovert that has been married to an introvert for more than 30 years. Our honeymoon was on a Carnival cruise ship. The thing is that you are both introverts which is good. We got a crash course on our honeymoon about the differences between introverts and extroverts. I wanted the clubs and the dancing and my husband wanted the in room movies. It was quite the honeymoon. I am off track to get to your question In the morning when you get your cruise daily activity sheet see if there are any lectures on ports of call or other things that you feel you can be comfortable. I would stay away from the Newlywed games and group participation games unless you both want to be adventurous. If you go to the shows don't sit at the end of the aisle or in the front row or they are sure to try to pick you to join them on stage (remember there are some people who live for that (LOL)). One thing about cruises is there is something for everyone. No one is going to make you go to the bars and dance and Karioke but it is there if you want to try it. The library on board has board games and you and your husband may like to find a quiet spot and play boggle or cards. You may enjoy attending the hi tea, or going to wine tasting or a cooking demonstration, touring of the bridge, or the kitchen or if you like trivia games you can give it a try. I think introvert or extrovert you'll have a great time. At some point in the future, if you feel the crowd on Carnival is too loud for you don't have to give up on cruising. There are quieter ships, windstar cruises is very peaceful.

May I asked why you chose Carnival? We've done 25+ cruises with all the major line and have things we like about each. Carnival is know for a somewhat "partytime" atmosphere. It's kind of the equivalent of saying "Hey, we are young, wild and crazy and love to party until midnight with the loudest crowd around - will we have fun?" - and then booking Holland America. You will definately find places that you can seek out a more subdued atmosphere - but - Just my opinion - you sound more like a Princess cruiser to me.

Carnival is a great line and budget may have been your deciding factor. Just don't allow yourself to have anything but a great time. If you need to find quiet places - they can be found.

I wouldn't worry, I don't agree with that statement. I think the key to enjoying a cruise is doing your research and then going with an open mind and a positive attitude.

New experiences are good for us even if they challenge us. I've only done one cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. I tried Oceania which has smaller ships and flexible dining so you could eat alone if you wanted to. No wild games either they did have quizzes and other more sedate competitions but (pardon the pun) we gave them all a wide berth!

To be honest you do meet people on any size ship but you don't have to become bosom friends and meet up with them again. We met a few people but we'd have a short chat and that was it. Occasionally we saw them again which was nice but we did our own thing all of the time. Never once had room service, I'd have missed the delight of seeing and choosing from the gorgeous food. The chocolate fountain was a joy every night!

I'd imagine on a large ship it's even easier to merge into the background if you want to. Just go and have a great time. You'll learn a lot about cruising and what suits and doesn't suit you. I'm sure you'll be hooked and be wanting to go back as soon as you can. There's nothing like seeing all those gorgeous places from the sea. I need a cruise!

My husband are EXTEMELY anti-social and took the kids on a Carnival cruise about 9 years ago. I couldn't get off that boat fast enough. If I could have, I would have swam ashore.

The lounge chairs TOUCHING each other, the loud constant "blah blah rah rah" nonsence over the PA system; I really don't want to see or hear about the hairiest chest contest or the best belly flop, thank you. We could not escape until we discovered the deck for 'optional clothing'.

We spent ALL of our time, fully clothed, on the optional clothing deck where there were maybe 4 other FULLY CLOTHED people (our kids were in camp). It didn't have the best view and was a little noisy with the smoke stacks, but I was AWAY from the hoards of people who insisted on invading my space.

Fast forward to today and we went on a Silversea cruise at the end of September...felt like we were the only ones of the ship, NEVER had to share a table when eating and plenty of spaces to be without ANYONE encrouching on my space. LOVED IT!

Hope you manage ok...do you have a balcony at least?

I am a Myers-Briggs INTJ in fact as far to the right as the classification goes . Ihave been on 60+(4 this year) cruises and am looking forward to the next one. Meet new people if you want to ...or don't if you do not.

Please go and have fun maybe, we will pass in the night.

Carnival is know for a somewhat "partytime" atmosphere

That's just not true anymore.

I'm an extremely outgoing person. I can walk in to a room of 100 strangers and have a good time. It's just my nature, as being introverted is yours. However.....most of the time on a cruise my day goes like this....wake up, eat breakfast, grab a lounger(which I move a few feet from the next person) on the lido aft section. Read and sun for a few hours, eat lunch, read and nap on my balcony for a few hours, eat dinner, people watch at a table on the lido aft, back in my room around 9, more reading on the balcony and bed. Lather rinse, repeat. I do get off and explore at ports but usually only for a few hours or less.

I travel with my husband and usually another couple. If they aren't happy with my boring days, they're welcome to do something else. My job requires me to interact with people at all times, which is fine, it suits me but I don't always feel the need to be social.

I am pleasant and do converse with people if they approach me. I'm just perfectly happy in my own little world for that week or 8 days. In other words, you'll be fine.

Archived