Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

yes you will do in madonalds,as they text you the acesess codes,the same in the UK now,

Thanks. So an employee at the shop/restaurant/whatever can't just give you an access code to enter on your computer, right? (I have a wifi enabled netbook, but no iPhone, if it matters any.) So, in the UK, and presumably Germany, too, is this just at McDonalds, or everywhere?

Thanks again. Guess I'll take a day off in Germany! Won't kill me - supposed to be on vacation after all!

Edited by roothy123

If its a bar etc with wi fi you should be able to buy a drink and ask for the code,also follow the crew,at waramunde there is a crew cafe which has free wi fi,there will also be hotspots

In the UK free wi fi is quite common,i leave mine all at home so cant really say :D:)

Has anyone used someone local to get them from the Warnemunde area to Schwerin Castle?

I know I can do it by train, but this is our last port of 10 and I know I'm going to be exhausted and wanted to price out what it would cost to have someone pick us up and transport us back and forth to the castle only. I don't want a whole day tour.

Anyone have any information on this?

Has anyone used someone local to get them from the Warnemunde area to Schwerin Castle?

I know I can do it by train, but this is our last port of 10 and I know I'm going to be exhausted and wanted to price out what it would cost to have someone pick us up and transport us back and forth to the castle only. I don't want a whole day tour.

Anyone have any information on this?

Sorry can't help there. However, why not just to a low key day in Warnemunde, no stress, amble along the canal or walk up to the beach and have a good relaxing day? No need to plan to see things in every port, you need to schedule down time as well and Warnemunde is a nice little town.

Yes, that is probably what we'll end up doing. It's just that when I saw the pictures of the castle and it's grounds it was so intriguing ... but it's probably wiser to just have a gentle stroll around Warnemunde. I hear it's a pretty little town as well

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have been reading all your threads and you have been very informative. I am travelling solo on the Norwegian Sun arriving on Aug 12 to Warnemunde. I want to see a bit of Warnemunde, Rostock and Schwerin castle. I will have from 8:30am to 9:30pm to do the entire trip. I would like to take the train the entire way. Can you advise me on the best way to get this all in. Like to walk. Thanks for your help.

Anni is in Australia at the moment.

The train station in Warnemuende is just alongside to the pier.

Go to Rostock main station and change the train to Schwerin.

A Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket (Länderticket) costs EUR 21 for a single and should be good for you. It´s valid on all trains except ICE.

You will get support either at the infopoint at the cruise port or at the train station.

You will have a wonderful day in these three cities.

Edited by Kruizefan

Years ago we were on the Constellation, which was new and very large for its day. We made port in Warnemunde and most everyone got off to take the train for Berlin. I explored and enjoyed the area and did not go to Berlin. About the time that the ship was supposed to have sailed, we got word that the train had been delayed. People had begun to arrive at the dock-- locals--and they waited and waited. Three hours! Then, as we were pushing off from the dock in the dark, everyone on the dock lit lighters and this beautiful music "Time to say Goodbye" came over the loudspeakers. And small ships followed us out of the harbor. It was an incredible experience. Fortunately, our balcony was portside and so we experienced it ideally. The woman on the next balcony said, "Well, I have cruised many times, but I have NEVER seen anything so wonderful!" The memory remains with me. It is the flip side of a memory years later of leaving Odessa. We were the last ship out for the year. All the locals came out as they had in Warnemunde, but they lined the dock in dead silence and just stared at the boat. It was creepy.

Taking the Oceania cruise starting Saturday 8/11. Will be in Rostck/Warnemunde on Sunday. Not going to Berlin but would like some travel tips for the Rostock area.:)

You're on my cruise. If you look back through this thread, you'll get a lot of good info on Warnemuende, Rostock and Schwerin. travelanni has a web site that has great info, but I forget the actual address - previous posts should get you a link.

We just returned from the Marina cruise. We took a ferry that was right next to the cruise terminal to and from Rostock. I think it was called the Rostocker, bought tix on board. I don't think it ran too often though - check with the local rep in the lobby near the exit.

Be aware that the security police in the terminal gave us wrong info and said there was no ferry! But there was. We basically wandered around the main streets and enjoyed the town. Also note that for some reason, the free walking tour mentioned in these threads were not available on the day we were there.

Harry

We just returned from the Marina cruise. We took a ferry that was right next to the cruise terminal to and from Rostock. I think it was called the Rostocker, bought tix on board. I don't think it ran too often though - check with the local rep in the lobby near the exit.

Be aware that the security police in the terminal gave us wrong info and said there was no ferry! But there was. We basically wandered around the main streets and enjoyed the town. Also note that for some reason, the free walking tour mentioned in these threads were not available on the day we were there.

Harry

Harry, did you happen to notice a Europcar car rental booth/kiosk in the terminal at Warnemuende? Also, do you know if there was WiFi in the terminal, or internet terminals?

Harry

Sorry to contradict but the security staff in the terminal were quite correct in their answer if you enquired about a FERRY to Rostock. There is NO FERRY service between Warnemünde and Rostock, only between Warnemünde and Höhe Dune directly across the river. As mentioned many times on this thread and on the website the boat which you took is one of a fleet of privately owned pleasure craft which run tours up the river to Rostock and back, making a stop in Rostock during the cruise season. This is not recognised locally as a ferry service.

The tours mentioned on these threads are NOT FREE, the cost is 5euro per person and the reason they are not available on some days is that since I retired there is not always an English-speaking guide available to conduct them.

To all those planning a stop in Warnemünde.

As you will guess I have returned from my holiday, not to live in Rostock but in a small town further inland. However still in Mecklenburg and happy once again to help you enjoy your visit to this beautiful area.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Sorry to contradict but the security staff in the terminal were quite correct in their answer if you enquired about a FERRY to Rostock. There is NO FERRY service between Warnemünde and Rostock, only between Warnemünde and Höhe Dune directly across the river. As mentioned many times on this thread and on the website the boat which you took is one of a fleet of privately owned pleasure craft which run tours up the river to Rostock and back, making a stop in Rostock during the cruise season. This is not recognised locally as a ferry service.

The tours mentioned on these threads are NOT FREE, the cost is 5euro per person and the reason they are not available on some days is that since I retired there is not always an English-speaking guide available to conduct them.

To all those planning a stop in Warnemünde.

As you will guess I have returned from my holiday, not to live in Rostock but in a small town further inland. However still in Mecklenburg and happy once again to help you enjoy your visit to this beautiful area.

Anni

Welcome back Anni

Thanks for the great info you have provided.

Hope you had a great holiday .

Duncan

since I retired there is not always an English-speaking guide available to conduct them.

Ohhh I can't wait to use that word 'retirement'!!! I have a few more years to go though. :(

not to live in Rostock but in a small town further inland.

Are you closer to Rerik now? or perhaps Karl's Erdbeer Erlebnis? LOL :D Welcome back Anni, we have missed you and your informative posts!! Glad you are here. ;)

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Hi Anni,

Welcome back!

I will be in Warnemunde on Tuesday and will be traveling to Wismar, thanks to you I have the train info all figured out. Do you know if there are any english walking tours offered in Wismar? Also, will language be an issue in Wismar?

Thanks,

Neil

Hi Ani

WELCOME BACK!

I have a question that probably has been asked many times. is it possible to visit Scherwin from the ship terminal in Warnemunde.

I know that we would need to take the train to Rostock and then switch to another train. Not sure which one and the times.

Or should we spend our time in Rostock and Warnemunde? is it better to take a boat to Rostock and return by the teain or vice versa?

Your help is greatly appreciated as I am starting to panic .

Thanks

Sharon

We were in Warnemunde on July 20th. We followed the directions from Anni's website and easily found our way to Rostock by train. Thanks Anni for such helpful information. There were 8 of us together looking forward to the tour in English from the historical society, but when we got there, there was no English speaking guide available, so no tour. We were very disappointed... :(

We went to the Rostock tourist office. They had a walking tour at 2 PM, but only in German, not good for us. After doing our own walking tour of Rostock, we took the boat back to Warnemunde. It is a nice relaxing trip, but again all the comments were only in German. I think that we paid 10 euros each for the one way trip. We then walked around Warnemunde. It's a beautiful little town.

Hi Anni,

Welcome back!

I will be in Warnemunde on Tuesday and will be traveling to Wismar, thanks to you I have the train info all figured out. Do you know if there are any english walking tours offered in Wismar? Also, will language be an issue in Wismar?

Thanks,

Neil

Hi Neil, Thanks for the welcome. Sorry but I can't find any reference to English tours in Wismar. However, if you follow the walking instructions (on the website) to the Market Place the Tourist Information Office will be able to advise. Language should be no more of a problem in Wismar than anywhere else in the eastern part of Germany ie. many older people do not speak English (although they will always try to help) but most younger people do understand English even if they do not speak it very well. Things are improving in this area as tourism becomes more important. I find that that a polite 'do you speak English please' or 'may we please speak in English' will always get a better response than just asking a question and hoping that they will understand.

Anni

travelanni.webs.com

Hi Ani

WELCOME BACK!

I have a question that probably has been asked many times. is it possible to visit Scherwin from the ship terminal in Warnemunde.

I know that we would need to take the train to Rostock and then switch to another train. Not sure which one and the times.

Or should we spend our time in Rostock and Warnemunde? is it better to take a boat to Rostock and return by the teain or vice versa?

Your help is greatly appreciated as I am starting to panic .

Thanks

Sharon

we did the same trip,prepurchased our train tickets on line,we followed the directions on Anis web site it was a nice day out,the trains were very busy but we got seats ok

Thanks. I have read Anni's instructions now but am hesitant to buy the tickets in advance as last year my cousin was on the Emerald and they were not able to dock in Warnemunde. if we buy the tickets they are not refundable.

Welcome back Anni and thanks for all your wonderful info! We took the train to Scherwin and then came to back to Warnemunde for a few hours on the beach. If your concerned about purchasing your train tickets in advance just wait until you arrive. We headed off the ship around 8:00 and walked about 5 min to the train station. We went inside to purchase our tickets and the lady was very helpful in explaining our time choices and we had no problem transfering in Rostock.