Top Ten Reasons to Cruise Solo

zgwortz

When you are in a foreign country, you won't tip off the ne'er do wells that you aren't local by chattering with your travel companion in English =).

Though, the clothes are different. I was amazed when I went to London that the color of my denim jeans was vastly different than what I saw!

Also, I was in capris and saw no one else there in them. Who knows I may be responsible for their resurgence in France this year :D. They also were 6 months ahead on leggings. With that being said, I still think I will stand out less just walking and sitting quietly by myself, instead of having a running conversation with a travel companion about where we are going, how to figure out the menu, etc.

That's right....easy to blend in solo. Groups stick out don't they ?

I've been on two sole cruises - a 9 night (Canada and New England) and a 5 night (Western Caribbean). On my first solo, I was a little leery about traveling solo. But, it's absolutely wonderful........ On the 5 night, I sat at a table with 6 other ladies traveling solo and we all had a wonderful time. If you're hesitating ..... don't. Try it and you're probably love it.

Since my divorce in 1993, and my grown children have their own lives, I've lived alone, not even housekeepers or domestic servants. I had been on six cruises with another person, and lately being on 3 cruises solo. Now I can't imagine being on a cruise non-solo. I just enjoy doing what I want when I want where I want. Spending as much or as little money as I want. I enjoy the solitude in my own cabin, without the odors, debris, stuff of another person. And most of all, no judgmental comments from anyone as to what I do or how I look. The cabin stewart who takes care of my room is a lucky person, because I leave nothing lying around, I'm neat, I tell him/her no need to put the bed cover on the bed; just leave the bed made up with the sheets exposed.

On cruises, I engage in activities that involve a lot of people -- ballroom dance, group dance lessons, paddle tennis/ping pong tournaments, foil fencing, going ashore with people I've met thru those activities.

Even on a 10 - 15 day cruise, I only have carry on luggage for air flights, so I bring my own luggage on board, and I'm first off the ship on disembarkation, and don't have to go searching for luggage amidst thousands of bags. With bags that I can manage with two hands, my land travel options are all available at whatever cost I want to spend -- taxi, shuttle, train or subway, bus, or walk.

From now, all my future cruises will be solo (unless I get hitched again, but not likely).

Hi Folks

I hope to travel on Epic from Barcelona in the autumn of this year. I want to travel alone, but am wondering about the age and gender profile of the people who will typically occupying the sole suites? I hail from Ireland.

To me the wonderful thing about travelling alone is the opportunity to meet a range of diverse and wonderful people!

C

OMG, I can be in the cabin without having to wear a bra....:eek:

I invited 3 of my closest friends on a sailing last year on Constellation. I booked and paid for the PH suite for the 4 of us. There was so much drama that I was miserable.

This December I am returning to the PH suite, minus 3 people. I will enjoy the 2500+ square feet all by my lonesome; and will thoroughly enjoy it!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

All the things mentioned in the posts above, but to me I add as #1 (or at least very close to the top) .....

THERMOSTAT CONTROL

And if not an actual thermostat, then control of whether the balcony door is open or closed. I tend to be heat-averse and like cooler, fresher air - I usually freeze out anyone who happens to be sharing my space, be it car, office, home, whatever. It's nice to not be in thermostat wars when I travel solo.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys, does anyone ever feel awkward on a ship being alone, when all those other folks have somebody? Some folks look bored being with somebody, you hear arguements, etc.

Hi,:)I can't speak for others but for me? Nope, I don't feel awkward.

Actually I feel maaaavellllloussssss:):D;). Seriously, I LOVE cruising

solo. I am sailing again 2 weeks from TODAY:D and cannot wait to get

back on a ship!

As for those other folks having somebody? Oh well, we all have different

lives. Makes no difference to me~I have been on my own most of my

adult life.

Just get me on a ship and I am happy:)

I also enjoy cruising solo for

many of the reasons stated above.

I also get a Jr. Suite or Grand Suite,

for most of my cruises, depending on

the ship and itinerary.

You can strike up a conversation with

most anyone. Everyone is on vacation

and 99% of the people are very friendly..

I also enjoy cruising solo for

many of the reasons stated above.

I also get a Jr. Suite or Grand Suite,

for most of my cruises, depending on

the ship and itinerary.

You can strike up a conversation with

most anyone. Everyone is on vacation

and 99% of the people are very friendly..

A cruise ship is perhaps the best place that I know of for meeting friendly people.

I'm deeply prejudiced against unfriendly kinds. While in my "normal life", I sometimes encounter people who will not respond to a hearty "Good Morning". Not relying to my greeting is bad manners in my book.

Archived