Top Ten Reasons to Cruise Solo

zgwortz

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand, Not a worry in the world, a Cold Beer in my Hand!!! Zac Brown Band!!

Great song bobmal99!!

I have my first solo cruise coming up on Jan 28 - and I am looking forward to it for many of the reasons stated above - but I admit I am a little nervous too! I have traveled alone many times but never a cruise..... We shall see!

Janetlm,

Have a great ime on your cruise.

Will be on mine in 15 days as a happy solo!!

I grew up sharing a room with sisters. I share a bedroom with my husband. I raised 2 children in a pretty small house. I would share a cabin with my husband or family.

But a stranger-- I don't think so!!:eek:

PS. I admit I like a cabin to myself <sigh> :rolleyes:

Janet

• 4 weeks later...

1) I don't have to go to________ because everyone else wants to

2) Keep up, we have to be there at__________

3) If you are going to sit there, hold this

4) Why are you up so early??

Just a few things I don't have to hear when I cruise solo:D.

1) I don't have to go to________ because everyone else wants to

2) Keep up, we have to be there at__________

3) If you are going to sit there, hold this

4) Why are you up so early??

Just a few things I don't have to hear when I cruise solo:D.

so true !

This thread serves to confirm that my decision to sail solo on my first cruise was indeed a wise one. One more month to go... cant wait... :)

You will not get lonely...plenty of friends that you haven't met yet.

I live with a cat and we do just fine...each of us does what we like, when we like, and how we like. The only thing about cruising solo is that I desperately miss my cat. I really like my alone time and have no problem with just sitting in a chair and reading. Sometimes it is a hassle to have to get up and partake in a meal. LOL I bring my cell phone and my family/friends know that they can call ONLY in emergencies and even then I won't be able to answer until we get in port. I do call my mom when in ports because she is now alone and 85. I am going on my 3rd solo in Thanksgiving and am so looking forward to it.

I have a group of friends I often cruise with, but after retiring last February I started going off on my own. The first was a 4 day Disney. Piece of cake! Then, a 14 day repo on the Maasdam from Ft. Lauderdale to Montreal. In the back of my mind I had an "escape clause". If I didn't like it (what? not like a cruise?) I was on the North American continent and could walk off at any time. Guess what? I fell in love with solo cruising! Four out of six last year were solo; of the five on this year's schedule 4 are solo.

One thing I have really enjoyed is making new friends from all over the world. When I travel with my regular cruise buddies I have a bit of a herd mentality. But on my own, I yak it up with everyone. In fact, on one of my upcoming ones I've already "run into" several folks on the CC thread from previous cruises who will be on it. How cool is that?

Cacky

I live with a cat and we do just fine...each of us does what we like, when we like, and how we like. The only thing about cruising solo is that I desperately miss my cat. I really like my alone time and have no problem with just sitting in a chair and reading. Sometimes it is a hassle to have to get up and partake in a meal. LOL I bring my cell phone and my family/friends know that they can call ONLY in emergencies and even then I won't be able to answer until we get in port. I do call my mom when in ports because she is now alone and 85. I am going on my 3rd solo in Thanksgiving and am so looking forward to it.

That sounds like the agreement that I have with my cat. You do what you want...within good reason of course....and I do what I wish.

I didn't know I had a clone living in Sacramento!:) (Except, I have to do whatever my two cats want, when they want. I still miss them when I'm away, though.)

So, I suddenly realized we really need a quick Top Ten list we can use to make it easier to explain to people why we cruise solo:

Top Ten reasons to cruise solo:

10. You can sleep as late as you like

9. There's more room for luggage in the closet

8. You never have any confusion over which toothbrush belongs to who.

7. You never have to share your bingo winnings

6. The TV remote is mine, all mine! Bwah hah hah!

5. You can sing at full volume during Karaoke. None of your friends will complain. (Unless you've made new friends on board already...)

4. There will be no embarrassing pictures of you, dancing, drunk, on the tables with your underwear on your head, showing up in your friend's Facebook.

3. There will be nobody to complain you're late.

2. You never need special signals to let your roommate know the room is… um… "currently occupied".

1. Because it's more fun to cruise solo!

Anyone else have ideas which belong in this top ten list? :D[/quote

Wahoo! Will be going on my 2nd solo cruise in August! Can't wait. Great post and agree with all of the above.

I'm a camera fiend, and for me, one of the biggest advantages to cruising solo comes in the ports.

Sometimes, the difference between a good photo and a great one is just a matter of waiting 10-15 minutes for a subtle natural light change. When I'm alone, there's no guilt about holding anyone else up while I wait for the sun to do it's thing!

All but two of my past trips below were taken solo. LOVE IT!

i've always been a bit "iffy" on cruising by myself. would i be bored, who would i talk to, laugh with etc. i travel all the time to hawaii and vegas by myself, its just something about being on a cruise by myself that has me questioning this. i'll somewhat be cruising solo in april on freedom of the seas...i'll have my friend there, but her hubby is also coming, and i know they would like alone time lol. planning on cruising solo in may on the imagination

• 2 weeks later...

I love reading all of these posts! As I consider possibly taking my first solo cruise/tour, it gives me more confidence and desire.

Sometimes in life, I think we focus so much on our family, friends, etc. that we never really take the time to enjoy our own company....

Well I have my first solo cruise in 62 days and will let you know. I found a companion a good way to cruise as long as you get along OK

Lived with the room mate for 4 years so when we cruise things go fine.

We do again together in 242 days.

At 70 really find it an advantage. Would do all sorts of things on own that I shouldn't and this is a great stability factor.

Will let you know what happens solo if I survive. Already booked one excursion I know is pushing my physical limits.

I get to decide everything about the vacation. I don't have to make any compromises. I can go wherever I want, whenever I want. There is no need to coordinate vacation dates. I can pick all of the excursions. I can go to bed early without feeling bad.

• 1 month later...

I am 49 male (which makes it somewhat easier), single (but not on a cruise/vacation to pick-up or connect with someone), I am independent and not a lonely person.

I have traveled with groups of 9 and 18 people on cruises and I have traveled solo. Although I didn’t have a bad time with the groups (how can you on a cruise), I always have a better time solo. When I am with the group, I tend to stay within the group and do the activities that are mutually agreed upon. When I am on my own I tend to meet very interesting people from different places and backgrounds that I would not normally meet. I tend to put myself more out there as I become less reserved. As far as activities, that is where I met the most people, by doing one activity with one group you hear people maybe looking for a person to share a cab for a tour etc. so I then join in or someone on the tour going golfing the next day on a island and I ask if they need a 3rd or 4th. and then the meeting of people just snowballs. I was at a resort, didn’t know anyone but by the last day I knew most of the people at the resort. I am more of a quiet person but you usually meet some great people who just want to have adventure and get away from the day to day grind just like you but if you like to just have solitude you have no one to stopping you to enjoy that choice. That is the beauty of cruising solo.

I am 49 male (which makes it somewhat easier), single (but not on a cruise/vacation to pick-up or connect with someone), I am independent and not a lonely person.

I have traveled with groups of 9 and 18 people on cruises and I have traveled solo. Although I didn’t have a bad time with the groups (how can you on a cruise), I always have a better time solo. When I am with the group, I tend to stay within the group and do the activities that are mutually agreed upon. When I am on my own I tend to meet very interesting people from different places and backgrounds that I would not normally meet. I tend to put myself more out there as I become less reserved. As far as activities, that is where I met the most people, by doing one activity with one group you hear people maybe looking for a person to share a cab for a tour etc. so I then join in or someone on the tour going golfing the next day on a island and I ask if they need a 3rd or 4th. and then the meeting of people just snowballs. I was at a resort, didn’t know anyone but by the last day I knew most of the people at the resort. I am more of a quiet person but you usually meet some great people who just want to have adventure and get away from the day to day grind just like you but if you like to just have solitude you have no one to stopping you to enjoy that choice. That is the beauty of cruising solo.

That's right, there are disadvanatages to a group.

1) compromiseing and not doing what I want to do.

2) In groups, one or two do all the talking and others are forced to be the designated listeners.

• 3 weeks later...

When you are in a foreign country, you won't tip off the ne'er do wells that you aren't local by chattering with your travel companion in English =).

Though, the clothes are different. I was amazed when I went to London that the color of my denim jeans was vastly different than what I saw!

Also, I was in capris and saw no one else there in them. Who knows I may be responsible for their resurgence in France this year :D. They also were 6 months ahead on leggings. With that being said, I still think I will stand out less just walking and sitting quietly by myself, instead of having a running conversation with a travel companion about where we are going, how to figure out the menu, etc.

Archived