Noordam opinions

Raycruise2010

I'm planning my next cruise and saw an interesting itinerary and prices on the Noordam. I have no experience with Holland America (I've cruised Princess and Celebrity, and I thought both were fantastic). what can you tell me about your experiences --- good and bad --- on the Noordam? Thanks for your input

I'm planning my next cruise and saw an interesting itinerary and prices on the Noordam. I have no experience with Holland America (I've cruised Princess and Celebrity, and I thought both were fantastic). what can you tell me about your experiences --- good and bad --- on the Noordam? Thanks for your input
We've done three 10-day cruises on the Noordam, and off-hand I can't think of a bad experience on any of them. :) It used to be my favorite ship, until our last cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam bumped the Noordam down to 2nd place.

I haven't been on Princess or Celebrity, so I can't compare them ... sorry.

I would rate the Noordam 3.5 stars and not a 4. I think that Celebrity is a star better.

Everyone has their own opinions based on likes and dislikes, I have cruised both lines along with PO, Princess, RCL etc.

Check out Berlitz 2011 Cruise Book. They always seem to be on the money.

Typically with me it is down to the cost and Ports of Call.

If both lines had the same stops and Celebrity was a couple of hundred dollars more pp I would choose Celebrity.

I can speak from experience as a fan of Princess who recently sailed on HAL's Noordam.

Like you, I found an interesting itinerary at the right price and wanted to try HAL.

I think you will find many similarities between Princess and HAL.

Things we really enjoyed on the Noordam:

Overall the ship is lovely and stately, with attractive art through out. Our stateroom was large and comfortable. The food in all of the venues was very good. The Lido buffet has a nice variety of dishes, although the long lines while waiting for food was unpleasant. We had a wonderful dinner at the Pinnacle Grill and the waitstaff were good.

We enjoyed the Crow's Nest and were pleased with the half-priced drinks served at 4pm every day.

Captain Hans Mateboer was extremely personable and we enjoyed attending the Q&A session with him.

The Library is beautiful and comfortable with a huge selection of books, maps, etc.

Nice touches included receiving cold washcloths and water when boarding at ports.

Our experience on the Noordam was good, and we would consider HAL again if the price and itinerary appeal to us.

The differences we noticed...

Immediately upon boarding we missed the "wow factor" that we experience on every Princess ship. We love the spacious and beautiful atrium (The Piazza) the International Cafe and Vines. Princess ships just feel more open.

The waitstaff on Princess especially in the Horizon Court are considerably more attentive than on HAL. On Princess there is always someone offering refills on coffee, water, clearing tables, etc. On HAL we rarely saw a server in the Lido, and not once did they come around with a cart for refills. The layout in the Horizon Court buffet area is much more efficient and the flow is better than HAL.

I liked the spa better on Princess. The gift shops are nicer and have more variety, and better located on Princess.

Our balconies on Princess have been much larger than what we had on the Noordam. Our balcony on HAL was very small, and we could see the tenders and lights when we looked out.

The variety shows on Princess are better than what we saw on HAL.

If you decide to book your cruise on the Noordam, be sure and check the "Sticky" at the top of the HAL board that IRL_Joanie has created. She has lots of pictures of the staterooms. Some of the balcony cabins have a steel railing not plexiglass.

Hope this is helpful for you. Whatever you choose, enjoy your cruise!

I would rate the Noordam 3.5 stars and not a 4. I think that Celebrity is a star better.

Everyone has their own opinions based on likes and dislikes, I have cruised both lines along with PO, Princess, RCL etc.

Check out Berlitz 2011 Cruise Book. They always seem to be on the money.

Typically with me it is down to the cost and Ports of Call.

If both lines had the same stops and Celebrity was a couple of hundred dollars more pp I would choose Celebrity.

Did Berlitz review the ship when Mr. James Deering was Hotel Manager...I rather doubt it..;)

We also got off the ship last week, after 20 days & loved it..We normally prefer the smaller ships for example the Prinsendam, Amsterdam, Veendam etc....

However, I must say that everyone & I mean everyone of the Crew members were fantastic!...Many times I've found that the Front Desk people were somewhat lacking in friendliness on HAL....But on this ship they were always smiling, friendly & most helpful..

Mr. Deering was everywhere & interacted with the Passengers while watching what was going on...One time while waiting in line at the front desk, I mentioned to Mr. Deering that this crew was the best we've ever encountered over all..He thanked me & said that at times they bear unwarranted wrath of some passengers but still manage to keep their cool..Of course we've found wonderful Stewards & Front Desk people on other ships, but I'm commenting on our OVER ALL experience!

Most of the waiters in the morning & in the MDR greeted us & told us to have a nice day..

Another couple who normally cruise on other lines, joined us on the second half of the trip...This was their first HAL cruise, & they fell in Love with HAL on this trip..

We also had a a "Renewal of Vows " ceremony preformed by the Captain, which was lovely..We were pleased that our four Good Friends were there to enjoy it with us..

Our only complaint was that when they washed the decks, they left the chair pads out & they were frequently soaked when we went out to enjoy the Promenade deck in the morning...

Cheers...:)Betty

P.S.BTW. We ordered 3 wine cards, which were delivered to us & we were also able to purchase the new beverage card..It's not posted yet, but hopefully we made 4 star Mariner status on completition of this cruise..

Noordam is also my favorite HAL ship - I have completed three cruises on that ship and have two more cruises booked aboard her.

Just look out for the ghost on Deck 8...

;)

What ghost on deck 8? We are staying in 8099 in two weeks on the Noordam! If my husband finds out there is a ghost on board he is not going to be happy!

What ghost on deck 8? We are staying in 8099 in two weeks on the Noordam! If my husband finds out there is a ghost on board he is not going to be happy!

On the Noordam inaugural cruise there was a death on board, on deck 8. Brian and Scotty, who were staying on deck 8, independently were visited by who they believe was the spirit of the passenger. When they compared their individual experiences, they were surprised at the similarity of their visitations.

I can speak from experience as a fan of Princess who recently sailed on HAL's Noordam.

Like you, I found an interesting itinerary at the right price and wanted to try HAL.

I think you will find many similarities between Princess and HAL.

Things we really enjoyed on the Noordam:

Overall the ship is lovely and stately, with attractive art through out. Our stateroom was large and comfortable. The food in all of the venues was very good. The Lido buffet has a nice variety of dishes, although the long lines while waiting for food was unpleasant. We had a wonderful dinner at the Pinnacle Grill and the waitstaff were good.

We enjoyed the Crow's Nest and were pleased with the half-priced drinks served at 4pm every day.

Captain Hans Mateboer was extremely personable and we enjoyed attending the Q&A session with him.

The Library is beautiful and comfortable with a huge selection of books, maps, etc.

Nice touches included receiving cold washcloths and water when boarding at ports.

Our experience on the Noordam was good, and we would consider HAL again if the price and itinerary appeal to us.

The differences we noticed...

Immediately upon boarding we missed the "wow factor" that we experience on every Princess ship. We love the spacious and beautiful atrium (The Piazza) the International Cafe and Vines. Princess ships just feel more open.

The waitstaff on Princess especially in the Horizon Court are considerably more attentive than on HAL. On Princess there is always someone offering refills on coffee, water, clearing tables, etc. On HAL we rarely saw a server in the Lido, and not once did they come around with a cart for refills. The layout in the Horizon Court buffet area is much more efficient and the flow is better than HAL.

I liked the spa better on Princess. The gift shops are nicer and have more variety, and better located on Princess.

Our balconies on Princess have been much larger than what we had on the Noordam. Our balcony on HAL was very small, and we could see the tenders and lights when we looked out.

The variety shows on Princess are better than what we saw on HAL.

If you decide to book your cruise on the Noordam, be sure and check the "Sticky" at the top of the HAL board that IRL_Joanie has created. She has lots of pictures of the staterooms. Some of the balcony cabins have a steel railing not plexiglass.

Hope this is helpful for you. Whatever you choose, enjoy your cruise!

thank you SOOOOOO much

On the Noordam inaugural cruise there was a death on board, on deck 8. Brian and Scotty, who were staying on deck 8, independently were visited by who they believe was the spirit of the passenger. When they compared their individual experiences, they were surprised at the similarity of their visitations.

OOOOOOkkkkkkkkk, I did not know this until now.... Sorry for being flippant about the Ghost on Deck 8. I thought bepsf was joking. My apologies.

Joanie

Joanie

:) The best things about Noordam are the size of the ship, captain/crew and itinerary. We don't really care about the shows. The spa is better on Princess but they ruin it with the underused paid retreat and nonstop din from MUTS. Very few other lines go to both Barbados and Martinique-which are great islands. The crew is outstanding with many memorable characters. They go the extra mile with great humor and style. The cabin stewards are efficient and not in your way. The food in both the MDR/Lido is far superior to other lines.

We liked the Noordam so much that we booked the Southern Caribbean (other half) this March. The best advice we can give is try it once-you'll be a HAL fan for life.

8099! That's my favorite cabin to be upgraded from! We usually book 8099 because, in case the Upgrade Fairy is on vacation, we will be able to enjoy the extra real estate and forward facing veranda.

Bon Voyage!

I sailed her with my mom in 2007 to Alaska and loved her! If you're a visual person feel free to look at my photos in the Alaska link below. I have LOTS of pics of her and everything onboard from the cabins, to the art, to the food!:D

We did the 10 night Roman Empire from Rome on Noordam and the itinerary was fantastic. It's a traditional ship with wrap around teal deck and fantastic crew. We always had scented cold towels waiting for us when we got back from a day of exploring. There was a themed buffet with Mediterranean food and bazaar around the pool one evening, and outdoor buffet on another, I believe leaving Santorini. The staff was really helpful even if you were not on a HAL tour. For example, when arriving in Santorini the Captain made an announcement starting at 7:00am that he was tendering the ship for those on their own so they could get off BEFORE he had to move the ship to the area for the big bus cruise tours and let everyone know how long they had and when they would be back at that spot for non-ShoreX passengers.

Maybe I should correct a few things. Noordam did have a fantastic crew, very friendly and in my humble opinion good at what they do.

Show was average, try Disney for the best shows.

Food was average, but similar to NCL and others. I am hoping to try Celebrity again in April as in my opinion (from past cruises) their food was better.

Smoking not an issue on decks just inside the ship.

Read Berltz an take a view.

Archived