New Itineraries Posted

SeaShark

Mary' date=' this is not happening until mid April of 2012.

PE[/color']

I was under the impression the Star was going to continue her summer Alaskan itineraries even after moving to Tampa for winter cruises. Now the Star will summer in New York instead... ???

Please compare the Star to the Dawn.

We loved the Dawn to Bermuda and will more than likely book the Star for 2012.

This is very good news!

We loved the Dawn and I hear the Star is very similar. I believe from what I've read on this website they moved the Spinaker lounge (a favorite of many) to a less disirable location and I think the Star has a waterslide into a main pool and the Dawn does not.

Also, when I went to Bermuda on the Crown we stopped at St George and Hamilton. Most larger ships can only go to Kings Wharf. I believe HAL has the Veendam going to St. George and Hamilton because she is only 50,000+ GRT.

The Dawn and the Star are sister ships, both Libre Class Ships originally intended for use under NCL's parent company, Star Cruises. They were the first ships built for Freestyle Cruising.

They started off their NCL lives as identical ships, with a nip and tuck here and there in terms of differences. Until the Star's Refit last year, there was no substantive difference in the two vessels.

The Star's refit created 47 new cabins, a dozen or so of which are nice suites, where the Spinnaker Lounge and movie theatre had been. They moved the gift shop to where the Carousel Lounge (Dazzles on the Dawn) had been on Deck 7 forward. The Spinnaker Lounge is now were the Gift Shop was Deck 7 all the way aft.

DW and I have a theory. NCL has read these boards. NCL has seen the comment cards. So many people have B&Med about the new Spinnaker Lounge, that they are putting the Star on the run that LEAST needs a Spinnaker Lounge--Bermuda, the place where the ship is in port for 3 days. Then they put the Jewel that has an intact Spinnaker Lounge where the Spinnaker Lounge belongs on the Alaska run that the Star was previously doing, and leaving the rest of the Spinnaker Lounges alone. End of Theory.

The bottom line is the Star is still a beautiful ship even without the proper Spinnaker Lounge. We had a wonderful cruise on the "New and Improved" Norwegian Star on the 10-day Caribbean in October. I'd love to sail on her again.

Hopefully NCL has seen the error of its ways, and realized the cost of losing the Spinnaker out weighs the benefit of the new suites created.

It's just a theory, I could be wrong. But wouldn't it be wonderful if they didn't muck with the other Spinnaker Lounges?

So does that mean than the Star`s move to homeport in Tampa is on ly going to be for one season.

Cheers

Dennis

I assume that the Star will sail Late Fall and Winter in Tampa and spend the balance of her time in NYC doing the Bermuda itinerary.

Could this mean one of NCLs new builds could be homeporting in NYC ? At least for the Fall and Winter and Europe in the Summer.

That would leave the Gem to stay in NYC year round doing FLA/Bahamas and 10 day Winter Carribean runs..

Could this mean one of NCLs new builds could be homeporting in NYC ? At least for the Fall and Winter and Europe in the Summer.

Anything could be possible, but I would feel much more comfortable stating so if the new ships lengths are closer to 1,000 feet than the Epic's 1081 feet. The piers NCL uses have a limit for safe navigation on the Hudson.

Another consideration is the layout of the lifeboats, specifically how far out from the ship bulwarks they hang. The one time the Epic berthed in New York, they had to remove the lifeboats from the side of the ship closest to the pier. I don't think that's a task ship captains wish to do every week.

These details are as yet not available for NCL new-builds....

Why do you assume that the world revolves around NY? Personally I think the itineraries out of NY are horrible with the possible exception of Bermuda, and even then I would opt for Boston to sail to Bermuda. There are other ports in America that are much closer to Caribbean ports of call.

PE

Why do you assume that the world revolves around NY? Personally I think the itineraries out of NY are horrible with the possible exception of Bermuda' date=' and even then I would opt for Boston to sail to Bermuda. There are other ports in America that are much closer to Caribbean ports of call.

PE[/color']

What part of my question gave you the idea that I think the world revolves around NY ? I simply asked a question. Relax, switch to decaf !!

Why do you assume that the world revolves around NY? Personally I think the itineraries out of NY are horrible with the possible exception of Bermuda' date=' and even then I would opt for Boston to sail to Bermuda. There are other ports in America that are much closer to Caribbean ports of call. [/color']

PE

You're just jealous because you can't have a cruise port near your home, while we have Manhattan, Brooklyn and Bayonne all within a short drive, as well as Baltimore and Boston only a few hours away. If we're lucky, maybe the Philadelphia cruise port will also reopen. :p

You're just jealous because you can't have a cruise port near your home, while we have Manhattan, Brooklyn and Bayonne all within a short drive, as well as Baltimore and Boston only a few hours away. If we're lucky, maybe the Philadelphia cruise port will also reopen. :p

No jealousy here. I think the itineraries are awful out of NY with the exception of Bermuda and repos. 2 days at sea in the Atlantic is not my idea of cruising.

It is good that you all have the option since there seems to be so much fear of flying out there.

PE

No jealousy here. I think the itineraries are awful out of NY with the exception of Bermuda and repos. 2 days at sea in the Atlantic is not my idea of cruising.

It is good that you all have the option since there seems to be so much fear of flying out there.

PE

I really wish NCL would give NY better itineraries.

How can they' date=' it takes 2 days to get anywhere near south Florida? That's 4 days out or your 7 just going to and from. A 2 or 3 hour flight gets you to Miami and then 1 day to and from the Caribbean.[/color']

PE

I was hoping for more 10 and 11 days instead of the 7 days to FL/Bahamas. Why have 2 ships do the same itinerary? Like it's been stated over and over on these boards it about turning the ship around and more profit. I understand.

Presidents Week 2012 I would have loved to cruise with NCL, but RCCL offered a 10 day from NY that only had my kids miss 2 days of school. Picked that cruise over the Dawn 11 day because of the convenience no airfare. RCCL was the same price as NCL with airfare, but weather in NY during February is always an issue and airfare is always high.

PE

I hear what you're saying and I'm certainly not attacking anyone, but there are those of us that LOVE sea days. Relaxing with nowhere to go and no all aboard to worry about. Moreover, NCL DID offer beautiful 12 day itineraries to the western caribbean a few years ago from NY.

DW and I did 12 days out of NY on the Dawn in 2006: two days down, Stirrup, sea day, Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios and two days back to NY. THAT's an itinerary I'd like to do.

The problem is people didn't want to do a 12 day cruise. From what I've heard, they couldn't GIVE this itinerary away. Apparently 10 days is the limit. So, we get 10 days to the southern carib., Bahamas and Florida, Bermuda, and Canada.

It's better than the itineraries leaving out of--I dunno, Colorado for example-- Just sayin--:rolleyes::D

Also, like the other poster said, JFK to Ft Lauderdale (I HATE flying into Miami) is 2 hours and change. And there's LOTS to choose from in Miami... Like I said, different strokes for different folks.

The problem is people didn't want to do a 12 day cruise. From what I've heard, they couldn't GIVE this itinerary away. Apparently 10 days is the limit. So, we get 10 days to the southern carib., Bahamas and Florida, Bermuda, and Canada.

Also, like the other poster said, JFK to Ft Lauderdale (I HATE flying into Miami) is 2 hours and change. And there's LOTS to choose from in Miami... Like I said, different strokes for different folks.

Unfortunately, some 95+ percent of Americans have no problems flying. Half of us can't take a vacation longer than a week. And then there are those who can't afford more DSC longer than a week...

If you do not wish to fly, and have more than a week vacation, ride Amtrak to Miami or New Orleans and do a Western Caribbean itinerary. You will get to Miami or New Orleans quicker than cruising on a ship. Amtrak may not be a cruise line, but their deluxe cabins and roomettes with their Viewliner sleepers provide some privacy... And the dining room food is included with the sleepers. One does not necessarily have to fly...

Unfortunately, some 95+ percent of Americans have no problems flying. Half of us can't take a vacation longer than a week. And then there are those who can't afford more DSC longer than a week...

If you do not wish to fly, and have more than a week vacation, ride Amtrak to Miami or New Orleans and do a Western Caribbean itinerary. You will get to Miami or New Orleans quicker than cruising on a ship. Amtrak may not be a cruise line, but their deluxe cabins and roomettes with their Viewliner sleepers provide some privacy... And the dining room food is included with the sleepers. One does not necessarily have to fly...

I have traveled from NYP to Miami via Amtrak before. But not for a cruise. If you plan on getting a roomette and train fare for two you rate is about $1200.00 round trip for two people. Additionally you will need to get in a day early since train will not arrive ontime to embark same day and since train heading north leaves @ 11:30 am you will need to stay a day in Miami before heading north. Two hotel nights, transportation to the pier and train additional meals while in Miami make bringing the total to around $1600.00. That is another weeklong cruise !! Currently there are 4 itineraries out of NY Bermuda, Florida/Bahamas, Carribean, Canada/NE plus a few CTN sailings. There is plenty of variety. NY/NJ cruises sell well. That is why there are two NCL ships here. Plus Royals EOS is here year round.

I have traveled from NYP to Miami via Amtrak before. But not for a cruise. If you plan on getting a roomette and train fare for two you rate is about $1200.00 round trip for two people. Additionally you will need to get in a day early since train will not arrive ontime to embark same day and since train heading north leaves @ 11:30 am you will need to stay a day in Miami before heading north. Two hotel nights, transportation to the pier and train additional meals while in Miami make bringing the total to around $1600.00. That is another weeklong cruise !! Currently there are 4 itineraries out of NY Bermuda, Florida/Bahamas, Carribean, Canada/NE plus a few CTN sailings. There is plenty of variety. NY/NJ cruises sell well. That is why there are two NCL ships here. Plus Royals EOS is here year round.

All so true. But I keep reading threads and posts from many New Yorkers who wish for new longer itineraries, even longer than two weeks. With the overnight hotel stay in Miami its a two day train ride. One would still beat the ship, although at a much higher fare...

All so true. But I keep reading threads and posts from many New Yorkers who wish for new longer itineraries, even longer than two weeks. With the overnight hotel stay in Miami its a two day train ride. One would still beat the ship, although at a much higher fare...

May be off the subject but I really enjoy train travel. I am in no rush to get where I'm going. Similar to cruise travel it is not the fastest way from point A to point B But enjoyable none the less. Similar to cruising!!

As for New Yorkers wishing for longer itineraries, I think more people are hopefull that NCL would change around the 7 day FLA/Bahama run

Another option could be alternating 6and 8 day cruises with the 6 day sailing to Cape Canaveral and Nassau (Sunday-Saturday) and the 8 day sailing to Key West, Nassau, and GSC with two sea days Southbound and 2 sea days Northbound (Saturday-Sunday)

May be off the subject but I really enjoy train travel. I am in no rush to get where I'm going. Similar to cruise travel it is not the fastest way from point A to point B But enjoyable none the less. Similar to cruising!!

As for New Yorkers wishing for longer itineraries, I think more people are hopefull that NCL would change around the 7 day FLA/Bahama run

Another option could be alternating 6and 8 day cruises with the 6 day sailing to Cape Canaveral and Nassau (Sunday-Saturday) and the 8 day sailing to Key West, Nassau, and GSC with two sea days Southbound and 2 sea days Northbound (Saturday-Sunday)

Its more like three sea days to Key West from New York City, not two., another 371 miles by highway... 371/19 is another 19.5 hours, and the ships are arriving at Port Canaveral around noon... Sorry, your 8 day itinerary won't work, not at 19 knots... You will need a 9 day itinerary, not 8....

To get back on a 14 day cycle NCL would have to do a 5 day itinerary leaving only one day at port somewhere.... I don't think many will book this 5 day itinerary...

Its more like three sea days to Key West from New York City, not two., another 371 miles by highway... 371/19 is another 19.5 hours, and the ships are arriving at Port Canaveral around noon... Sorry, your 8 day itinerary won't work, not at 19 knots... You will need a 9 day itinerary, not 8....

To get back on a 14 day cycle NCL would have to do a 5 day itinerary leaving only one day at port somewhere.... I don't think many will book this 5 day itinerary...

Since NCL avoids I-95 and US 1 I dissagree. NYC to Port Canaveral is approximately 802 nautical miles and NYC to Key West is 1044 With an extra full day at sea don't you think it is possible that they can make it from Central Florida to Key West ?

After all the 10 day NYC to Carribean cruise goes to 5 ports all further south than Key West. So why is it impossible to sail to these 3 ports in 8 days ?

• 2 months later...

They have itineraries up for the Sun out to April 2012. Nothing new.

They're up now. Summer 2012 Baltic roundtrips out of Copenhagen, then Fall 2012-Spring 2013 roundtrips out of Miami alternating these routes:

10 night: St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Maarten

11 night: Cartagena, Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, St. Thomas

Since NCL avoids I-95 and US 1 I dissagree. NYC to Port Canaveral is approximately 802 nautical miles and NYC to Key West is 1044 With an extra full day at sea don't you think it is possible that they can make it from Central Florida to Key West ?

After all the 10 day NYC to Carribean cruise goes to 5 ports all further south than Key West. So why is it impossible to sail to these 3 ports in 8 days ?

Check out the milage and hours between those five ports on a 10 day cruise from New York. You'll discover the next port is within 14 hours from the last port....

Using a Gem's 10 day itinerary:

Sun Jan 8 New York (Manhattan), NY 4:00pm

Mon Jan 9 At Sea

Tue Jan 10 At Sea

(71 Hours) (1394 n. miles) averaging 19.6 knots

Wed Jan 11 San Juan, Puerto Rico 3:00pm 9:00pm

(12 Hours) (70 n. miles) averaging 5.8 knots

Thu Jan 12 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 9:00am 6:00pm

(14 Hours) (190 n. miles) averaging 13.6 knots

Fri Jan 13 Antigua 8:00am 5:00pm

(15 Hours) (87 n. miles) averaging 5.8 knots

Sat Jan 14 St. Maarten 8:00am 5:00pm

(14 Hours) (93 n. miles) averaging 6.6 knots

Sun Jan 15 Tortola, British Virgin Islands 7:00am 1:00pm

Mon Jan 16 At Sea

Tue Jan 17 At Sea

(69 Hours) (1420 n. miles) averaging 20.5 knots

Wed Jan 18 New York (Manhattan), NY 10:00am

While in the Caribbean, the Gem rarely exceeds 10 knots. It needs 20 knots speed on the legs to and from New York....

Look at the distance, hours and speed previously mentioned between Port Canaveral and Key West. 371 miles /19 knots requires 19.5 hours. That's much too far and too long for an overnight sail between Port Canaveral and Key West, so the ship must stop in the Bahamas the night before and the night after visiting Key West....like the itinerary below.....

New York to Port Canaveral > 837 n. miles > 20 knots > 42 hours

Port Canaveral to Nassau > 267 n. miles > 20 knots > 13 hours

Nassau to Key West > 255 n. miles > 20 knots > 13 hours

Key West to Great Stirrup Cay > 230 n. miles > 20 knots > 12.5 hours

Great Stirrup Cay to New York > 986 n. miles > 20 knots > 49 hours

As you can easily see, whatever ship being asked to do this itinerary will be over worked to death. 42 hours (6 hours less than 2 full days) works out great for a 5 pm departure from New York and a 11 am arrival in Port Canaveral. 12 to 13 hours overnight works for a 6 pm departure and 6 or 7 am arrivals. But the 49 hours (1 hour more than 2 full days) between GSC and New York doesn't work out so good, a late evening arrival in New York just isn't good, its far better to have a early morning arrival. Since the ship can't go much faster, tack another 8 to 12 hours or so onto the cruise to arrive in New York the next morning....

Let's count the hours...

Depart NY late afternoon on departure day

At sea first day

Arrive PC second day around noon

Arrive N morning of third day

Arrive KW morning of fourth day

Arrive GSC morning of fifth day

At sea sixth day

At sea seventh day

Arrive NY morning of eight day

It's just not possible to reach Key West from New York in seven days. In eight days, they have to run the ship much too hard every night because the ports are just too far apart. They must have to stop in the Bahamas for the cruise to be legal. There's no padding in the itinerary to schedule an alternate port, if bad weather, medical evaculation, or ship propulsion problems arise, at least one port will have to be lost. And the port most likely to be dropped will be Key West, it's the port that pushes the ship to the limit of its capability....

Archived