Is Celebrity increasing the "suggested" tips amount?

PS90

Hi fellow Canadian....I've just spoken with 'X' re the gratuities I will pay automatically in Cdn $$. Apparently the $240 US now translates to $300 Cdn ($60 difference?) even though our $ is almost par. Last year, same economics, same concierge class, same 10 day cruise, I paid $242. What is your experience with the auto amount deducted?? PS: I know they use a rate established at the beginning of the year but $60 difference is gouging IMHO.

Why don't you keep your on baord account in US dollars? That way you can pay a fair exchange rate.

Why don't you keep your on baord account in US dollars? That way you can pay a fair exchange rate.

Thanks for offering a helpful hint but not possible to do so. If we paid for our cruise and other expenses from the outset in US $, the grats would be in US $ also. We paid in Cdn $ which is converted at the end of the cruise using our Visa exchange rate. Our OBC will be in US $ and I'd like to apply that directly to the grats, however, that isn't doable (apparently). The OBC is deducted from the overall bill. The only problem I have is with X using an inflated exchange rate; however, nothing I can do about it. Doesn't seem quite right as I explored the initial cost of the cruise in both Cdn and US $$s and the expense was quite close...don't know why the gratuities should come out so much higher.

It's always interesting to see various reactions on posts about money and the cost of cruising....my favorite was one of the first complaining about the 'substantial' increase in cruise costs. What??? Did I miss something in the past 2-3 years? We did a B2B last year because the cruise costs had dropped so much, and then the prices dropped even more and we even got a reduction after final payment added to our OBC. It was so 'substantial' that one leg cost is $1.75 in OBC! I kept the charge sheet because I just loved it. Substantial increase? Right.

We do get into a complaining mode whenever someone brings up how much something costs. The Oil prices have been well above the $65 Celebrity said they'd use as a potential level for a fuel cost increase and it hasn't happened because the price has gone up (and down) and at a manageable rate. That's called business.

As to tipping, we were added to a group travel on our last cruise...went OK, but the travel coordinator decided to go to the front desk and ask that all of us that had toddlers to have their tips removed since that person thought it wasn't right to pay for little ones. Our daughter brought our 2 1/2 old granddaughter and I was paying for the cruise as a XMAS gift. When I found out, I went back to the front desk and told them to add the tip back on. Our waitstaff when well out of their way to provide seating, early dishes, special service to her, and their steward went the extra mile in many, many ways. As most mothers are aware, if you don't bring on your own vacuum, empty your own trash every few hrs, and try to clean the room with a crib and tons of toys around, then you Might think a toddler shouldn't pay the same price. We added tips the support staff for all the extras. (but of course you don't really know if I did or not......I'm also 6'5" and people think I'm Duke Wayne when I go on cruises....right),

.....I added that comment about not tipping for is so we could extend this thread in a discussion that people shouldn't have to pay tips for their kids. My opinion, they should Add to the standard tips!

Denny

Thanks for offering a helpful hint but not possible to do so. If we paid for our cruise and other expenses from the outset in US $, the grats would be in US $ also. We paid in Cdn $ which is converted at the end of the cruise using our Visa exchange rate. Our OBC will be in US $ and I'd like to apply that directly to the grats, however, that isn't doable (apparently). The OBC is deducted from the overall bill. The only problem I have is with X using an inflated exchange rate; however, nothing I can do about it. Doesn't seem quite right as I explored the initial cost of the cruise in both Cdn and US $$s and the expense was quite close...don't know why the gratuities should come out so much higher.

I am not following. I pay for my cruises in Canadian dollars and my on board bill is in US dollars. I am not familiar with the daily gratuities. BUT, if the entire on board bill is in US and the daily gratuities are on that bill, it seems to me that it will be in US.

Are you saying that if my onboard bill is in US, I will get a separate Canadian bill for gratuities?

Why are they punishing Canadians??? Because as John Steward said, we should quit worrying about Mexicans sneaking across the US border - it's the Canadians we need to worry about: they look like us (well some of us who came from Scotland and France stuff like that), they sound like us (unless you ask about sports and they starting talking about watching some little puck being push around the ice!), and the are Nicer (unless you ask them about tipping)!!!

By the way, the C$ and US $ aren't even close in being equal: the US dollar is now equal to $1.0046 C$! That buys a lot of Labatts!

Only in the last couple of years are they automatically charging you gratuities - before that it was up to us to arrange it, which I liked. I like giving the employee the envelope and thanking them and wishing them well. Now, without the envelopes I feel I am doing nothing more than subsidizing their salaries. I wish they would just charge more for the cruise and do away with these 'gratuities'.

As for Canadians being charged more for paying the gratuities - I give them my US charge card by BMO Mastercard and that takes care of everything. I must ad though, every year X screws it up and take an exchange rate on my US account and charge me Cdn. to then have MC turn around and charge me in US. I dispute it every year - one day Celebrity will get it right.

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario.

We give our UK credit card, everything on the bill is in US$ and we keep it that way. Don't let Celebrity convert it because they charge 3%. We let our provider convert it, we get a much better rate.

Just my two pennorth:)

Penny.

The only thing I can think of is that he is pre paying gratuities for Select Dining:confused:

No, I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.......we wanted to pre-pay our grats for the cruise and X was charging us $60 more than if we were US citizens. Topic has exhausted itself. We will pay onboard and use our Visa exchange rate instead of pre-paying now at X's rate. We understand how important these tips are to staff and always give more to those deserving.

Carole

Why are they punishing Canadians??? Because as John Steward said, we should quit worrying about Mexicans sneaking across the US border - it's the Canadians we need to worry about: they look like us (well some of us who came from Scotland and France stuff like that), they sound like us (unless you ask about sports and they starting talking about watching some little puck being push around the ice!), and the are Nicer (unless you ask them about tipping)!!!

By the way, the C$ and US $ aren't even close in being equal: the US dollar is now equal to $1.0046 C$! That buys a lot of Labatts!

My gosh....and I always thought you were a thoughtful and introspective poster with a little bit of wry humour off and on. Canadians seem to be good for the state of Forida!! I live near the US border and northerners look like us, talk like us, and have the same concerns re the economy that we do, however, it seems Canada as a whole is a little more fiscally responsible. FYI....Canada is HUGE....those who speak French are mainly from one province whose roots go into your state of Maine, etc. Appreciate the poke but your facts are a little off. "C$1.0010 per U.S. dollar at 3:58 p.m. in Toronto". Don't know how much closer it could get and doesn't justify an extra $60 C for grats even if the rate was set last January. I would rather give $60 more to the staff than throwing it in the air to be swallowed up by 'X' accounting staff in their "exchange rate profit" line item. Have a nice day, eh!

Carole

For us it is a very simple equation.

If service is really good, we give extra on the last night -- waiter, busboy and room steward. Our rationale: we are so much more fortunate than they are. A few extra bucks won't kill us and it could make a world of difference to the employees.

I agree. We tip the recommended amount, then add if we felt service was above and beyond.

Could be. On our upcoming cruise' date=' I wanted Select dining and refused to pay the exhorbitant exchange. I will (hopefully) arrange for select when on board the ship.

Why are they punishing Canadians?[/quote']

Thanks for your comment. Re Select dining....I pre pay Select Dining and Excursions online. The only option which is so greatly inflated is gratuities. Select dining cost was a few $$ more, but the grats were $60. No explanation from Captain's Club either or Celebrity rep. Just an alert to Canadians they should look at the cost of pre-paying from home vs paying on board.

Thanks for your comment. Re Select dining....I pre pay Select Dining and Excursions online. The only option which is so greatly inflated is gratuities. Select dining cost was a few $$ more, but the grats were $60. No explanation from Captain's Club either or Celebrity rep. Just an alert to Canadians they should look at the cost of pre-paying from home vs paying on board.

Celebrity has no respect for Canadians. For our last cruise, I paid in US funds, charged to my RBC Visa Gold (for the free cancellation insurance). Our cruise unfortunately was the Celebrity Oct. 13, which was aborted in Villefranche. We did get a refund. HOWEVER, I lost the exchange in both directions, plus I lost the 2 1/2% conversion fee in each of the two transactions (1. paying and 2. refund). Therefore I am out about $200 Can. for a cruise that didn't happen. The people at Celebrity could not care less.

Apply for a RBC USD Visa. If the Cnd rate is good for the actual cruise puchase we book in CND but we use our USD visa for our onboard account. If the ex rate for the cruise is not in our favor, we book in US. We also have a US deposit account to make the Visa pay'ts. We hate to pay that 2.5%:eek:

Not sure if you can do it in Canada but if possible, get a Capital One credit card. I am no great fan of Capital One, but they don't charge any foreign transaction fees, and their exchange rates are generally fair. I travel internationally a good bit and have the Cap One card just for that purpose.

Apply for a RBC USD Visa. If the Cnd rate is good for the actual cruise puchase we book in CND but we use our USD visa for our onboard account. If the ex rate for the cruise is not in our favor, we book in US. We also have a US deposit account to make the Visa pay'ts. We hate to pay that 2.5%:eek:

Does your RBC US Visa offer free insurance?

To book, I use my RBC Visa Gold, regardless of the currency because that way I do not have to buy cancellation insurance.

Once I am at my destination, if the local currency is US, I use my BMO Mastercard (US)

If you don't want to give extra cash tips because it feels awkward, you can also have the extra tips added to your SeaPass. Go to the Guest Relations desk and they will give you a card to fill out. You can choose to give whatever amount extra you like. We do this so the management will see we are giving extra tips to these crew members for their excellent service, we don't have to carry as much cash, and we have it all charged to our credit card.

A great idea! Thanks for posting this. We don't like carrying that cash either.

Marilyn

Yes it does http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/cards/rewards-cards/us-gold.html

under "additional services". I don't know if it is the same coverage as the CND one. I am not that familiar with CC insurance as we have an annual plan.

Thank you for the information. I am going to look into it.

Is there an annual fee for the card?

Yes $65 US - We got one card so we didn't have to pay $30 for the supplemental card. I am sure we break even with the exchange and 2.5% charges that are added on to our CND card (CIBC Aeroplan)

A couple of years ago I inquired about why different itineraries had different exchange rates applied. The answer actually sort of made sense. If you are interested I will post their reply here. But I think your case was different as apparently the rate applied to the actual cruise was different than what was applied to the gratuities that you were trying to pay. Now having the ability to pay in either currency I just go with what most favourable and don't stress so much:)

Yes $65 US - We got one card so we didn't have to pay $30 for the supplemental card. I am sure we break even with the exchange and 2.5% charges that are added on to our CND card (CIBC Aeroplan)

A couple of years ago I inquired about why different itineraries had different exchange rates applied. The answer actually sort of made sense. If you are interested I will post their reply here. But I think your case was different as apparently the rate applied to the actual cruise was different than what was applied to the gratuities that you were trying to pay. Now having the ability to pay in either currency I just go with what most favourable and don't stress so much:)

thanks for your comments. We use a TD Visa Infinite card which has a favourable exchange rate, insurance, and travel points. Once we're onboard no problem with exchange rates. What got my dander up was the high exchange rate on pre-paying tips (back to that again). As I said, I'll just pay them onboard charged to my card and avoid the fuss. BTW...I see you're on the same cruise as us...perhaps we'll meet?

Hi Oceangoer2 - Are you on the Left or Right coast with that name or are you referring to cruising:D Have you signed up for the

Connection Party? We are traveling with our cruise friends from Cornwall. Us Canuck's always seem to have to go through a few extra steps to get the best value don't we?

Hi Oceangoer2 - Are you on the Left or Right coast with that name or are you referring to cruising:D Have you signed up for the

Connection Party? We are traveling with our cruise friends from Cornwall. Us Canuck's always seem to have to go through a few extra steps to get the best value don't we?

We're in London ONTARIO...I see you're BC. Oceangoer refers to love of cruising! Yes, we've registed on connections. We always have great intentions, but they schedule these things at 10 am, right when you want to either go to port or 'cruise' for a pool cot.

Archived