Is Celebrity increasing the "suggested" tips amount?

PS90

Hi everyone,

I don't want to start the 1,945,623,154th thread about whether or not we should tip adequately :(, but I just read a thread reporting that RCI is increasing the suggested tip amounts as soon as this weekend.

I couldn't find any info pertaining to X, but since they are owned by the same corporation, I thought I would ask if anyone else knew anything.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I don't want to start the 1,945,623,154th thread about whether or not we should tip adequately :(, but I just read a thread reporting that RCI is increasing the suggested tip amounts as soon as this weekend.

I couldn't find any info pertaining to X, but since they are owned by the same corporation, I thought I would ask if anyone else knew anything.

Thanks!

See cruise critic news .RCCL as of July 1st will recommend the tips be at $11.65 pr pax . Besides substantial cruise price increases now they want the pax to pay even more of their staff wages . Next to add is the fuel supplement charge

How in the world do they justify these price increase in light of the severe US recession ?

See cruise critic news .RCCL as of July 1st will recommend the tips be at $11.65 pr pax . Besides substantial cruise price increases now they want the pax to pay even more of their staff wages . Next to add is the fuel supplement charge

How in the world do they justify these price increase in light of the severe US recession ?

FYI RCCL is the parent company to both RCI and X (as well as three other cruise lines). RCCL as a whole is not raising gratuities; just the RCI brand. The food service and housekeeping staff on both RCI and X do not really receive a salary (they are paid about $50 per month in salary); nearly all of their income is derived from the recommended gratuities (more of a service charge than a tip).

I am not sure how you feel this ties into a fuel supplements. Oil has risen much more slowly this year than in 2007 when they last invoked a fuel surcharge - so I think one is unlikely under current conditions; some of the price increases you have been noticing likely are factoring in the gradual rising cost of fuel.

We just came off a great cruise on the Eclipse in Aqua Class last week. We were charged $12/day pp in tips and I thought that took care of everything. But our room steward, who was very good, was clearly angling for a tip the last night and it made me feel kind of weird because the idea of cash tips on top of the automatic amount had not even occurred to me. We've been on 3 other cruise lines where our tips have been included, and it is a relief not to have to deal with the issue. Am I missing something?

We just came off a great cruise on the Eclipse in Aqua Class last week. We were charged $12/day pp in tips and I thought that took care of everything. But our room steward, who was very good, was clearly angling for a tip the last night and it made me feel kind of weird because the idea of cash tips on top of the automatic amount had not even occurred to me. We've been on 3 other cruise lines where our tips have been included, and it is a relief not to have to deal with the issue. Am I missing something?

The room attendant should not have made you feel like you had to give more. The $12 per day that is automatically charged to your account is the basic expected service charge; one does not have to give any more above this level. Many people do leave an extra cash tip at the end of the cruise if they feel they received outstanding service; but this is certainly not done by everybody and while it is appreciated by the staff, it is generally not expected by them.

Thanks a lot, guys.

I hadn't heard anything about X increasing their base-line gratuity charge either, so it makes complete sense that RCI is catching up to X in that respect now.

How was he "clearly angling" for an additional tip? Awhile ago there was some discussion (not sure on what board) as to whether the staff liked the automatic gratuities - the thought seemed to be that they were in favor of it (surprising to me) because it was more dependable than the old envelope system. I ended up feeling I should give the room steward(s) a little extra so at least from me, I guess they are making out better.

......The food service and housekeeping staff on both RCI and X do not really receive a salary (they are paid about $50 per month in salary); nearly all of their income is derived from the recommended gratuities (more of a service charge than a tip).

What is your source for that number?

I know that salaries aren't much by our standards, but I haven't seen a source that suggests anything as low as $ 50.00 a month.

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/hotel.htm

http://www.traveldroppings.com/articles/work/how-much-do-cruise-ship-employees-make.php

http://www.cruisejobfinder.com/fm/cruises/cruise_ship_jobs_FAQ.php

Since we would probably tip more than the automated gratuity, we usually reward good service from dining room and cabin stewards with an extra something on the last night of the cruise. We never have seen anyone approaching us for tips. We have noticed that many passengers do not give extra tips.

What is your source for that number?

I was always told that while the salaries aren't much by our standards, I haven't seen a source that suggests $ 50.00 a month.

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/hotel.htm

http://www.traveldroppings.com/articles/work/how-much-do-cruise-ship-employees-make.php

http://www.cruisejobfinder.com/fm/cruises/cruise_ship_jobs_FAQ.php

The numbers in those links are the amount of money they earn WITH TIPS! They only receive $50 per month from the cruise line - virtually all their money is via the tips.

The numbers in those links are the amount of money they earn WITH TIPS! They only receive $50 per month from the cruise line - virtually all their money is via the tips.

Most of the jobs listed in those links traditionally do not receive tips.

I'm just curious where you saw $ 50.00 as a base for stews, bartenders or what ever.

I'm sure none of the mainstream lines pay much for those jobs, I had never heard anything as low as $ 50.00.

For us it is a very simple equation.

If service is really good, we give extra on the last night -- waiter, busboy and room steward. Our rationale: we are so much more fortunate than they are. A few extra bucks won't kill us and it could make a world of difference to the employees.

I agree with Gonzo. Your cabin attendant was out of line. They know

who has already done the autotipping. I usually have fabulous

attendants and I want to give them something extra. But having

the attendant angling for something?:eek:...you are not missing

anything. They were totally out of line (in my opinion).

Hi Lois,

I wondered about that...whether they knew who autotipped (isn't it everyone?).

I did feel that last night that there was an expectation for an additional something. Maybe it was just a feeling I had or the fact that there was nothing physical to hand them and it almost seemed like I wasn't tipping. The crew members couldn't say "thank you" since the whole process is hidden (unless you give them extra in cash).

I liked it better when we got the vouchers and envelopes to hand to our crew members. One could then add to the recommended amount if one so chose. There's not much room for discretion under this system (unless I'm missing something). For example, one may want to give an additional gratuity to, say, an assistant waiter, but may feel the standard tip to the waiter was adequate. In a case like this, it is very awkward to hand an envelope to one and not the other. I ended up giving something extra to all since I didn't want to offend anyone. This isn't the way the system is intended to work. --Nancy

I always bring my own Thank You cards to which we add an additional amount of cash for each member of the staff who we think has given great service. I think they also have envelopes for that purpose at guest services - someone else may be able to confirm that.

There were envelopes for "extra" tips on the Millie and Summit this year in Concierge cabins at least.

Having reported that, I believe for the most part the advise from most cruisers and staff is to just leave the auto tip on. It was brought online to cover the general need and remove the awkwardness of when/who/how/much to "tip" every one you meet on a cruise... and let's face it, usually everyone does a great job and I am glad for their dedication.

Occasionally we "tip" a few extra few bucks when warranted, but I was told the biggest reward is a positive comment card report. It leads to advancement and other recognition that crew members really want.

At every CC meet the staff party I've been to, the management says that they reads EVERY comment card, good and bad.

We leave a week from tomorrow for our Christmas cruise on the Equinox; and, we are bringing Christmas cards for extra tips over and above the auto tips.

Jack, do you always tip above the auto tip or just at Christmas or when extra service is rewarded?

Hi Lois,

I wondered about that...whether they knew who autotipped (isn't it everyone?).

I did feel that last night that there was an expectation for an additional something. Maybe it was just a feeling I had or the fact that there was nothing physical to hand them and it almost seemed like I wasn't tipping. The crew members couldn't say "thank you" since the whole process is hidden (unless you give them extra in cash).

I liked it better when we got the vouchers and envelopes to hand to our crew members. One could then add to the recommended amount if one so chose. There's not much room for discretion under this system (unless I'm missing something). For example, one may want to give an additional gratuity to, say, an assistant waiter, but may feel the standard tip to the waiter was adequate. In a case like this, it is very awkward to hand an envelope to one and not the other. I ended up giving something extra to all since I didn't want to offend anyone. This isn't the way the system is intended to work. --Nancy

I don't think it's awkward at all to tip one or the other. They are rarely at the table at the same time. Simply discretely slip the envelope to the one you wish to tip. We had the opposite situation--our waiter was his usual fabulous self but his new assistant left a lot to be desired. Everybody gave the waiter an extra tip and no one gave the assistant an extra tip. Not a problem.

I always bring my own Thank You cards to which we add an additional amount of cash for each member of the staff who we think has given great service. I think they also have envelopes for that purpose at guest services - someone else may be able to confirm that.

You are correct, both envelopes and stationery are available at the guest relations desk. I like to write a note to those I'm giving an extra tip to, thanking them for making my cruise memorable.

There were envelopes for "extra" tips on the Millie and Summit this year in Concierge cabins at least.

Having reported that, I believe for the most part the advise from most cruisers and staff is to just leave the auto tip on. It was brought online to cover the general need and remove the awkwardness of when/who/how/much to "tip" every one you meet on a cruise... and let's face it, usually everyone does a great job and I am glad for their dedication.

Occasionally we "tip" a few extra few bucks when warranted, but I was told the biggest reward is a positive comment card report. It leads to advancement and other recognition that crew members really want.

At every CC meet the staff party I've been to, the management says that they reads EVERY comment card, good and bad.

I do leave the auto tips in place. I also tip extra. And I fill out attention to detail cards on those who do a great job. The ship's management does read the cards, I always get an acknowledgement. We've heard from two assistant waiters that they were promoted to waiter as a result of the good comment cards submitted by our table.

To me, what makes Celebrity special is the people who serve us on board. To be welcomed back with big smiles and hugs is wonderful!

Jack, do you always tip above the auto tip or just at Christmas or when extra service is rewarded?

We have always received fine extra service; hence, we always tip above the auto tip. We just felt it would be nice to enclose the extra tips in the Christmas cards and distribute them on Christmas.

Hi everyone,

I don't want to start the 1,945,623,154th thread about whether or not we should tip adequately :(,

You just did !!!! :D:rolleyes: ( lol.....)

Tks for comment; a natural rpogression would indeed for ==X== to keep the same ''distance'' as before between it and her sister brand.:)

Archived