What is the one thing that you should have taken on your first cruise??

kiwi121210

When we took our first cruise on the Jubilee some 16 years ago, they were agressively marketing cruises as an all inclusive vacation. I think we took like $100 for a 7-day cruise with three ports of call. I think the biggest check they would cash back then was $200 and you could not charge a lot of the things that are common place now. Needless to say, we were very poor tippers on our first cruise.

Don't forget your formalwear if you're into dressing up! Hubby forgot it to bring on our honeymoon. By the time we realized it, we were on the ship and it would've taken 3 hours to drive back home. We had briefly turned around for my dress shoes, but then completely forgot the formal gown and tux. :eek:

Thankfully one of the purser desk workers had a dress that fit me perfectly and we rented DH a tux.

Things I've learned from Cruise Critic to bring: mini-medicine cabinet (advil, pepto, dramamine, etc.) sunscreen, aloe and a powerstrip. Got burned on the honeymoon.:o

The hubby and I will be leaving on Sunday for our first cruise on the Valor. I have our bags packed with everything that I think we need, but what is something that you wished you would have taken on your first cruise that you bring now??

A better traveling companion.:D

The first cruise we went on we had most everything we needed thanks to Cruise Critic posters. And I agree with most posts:

Things Brought that we used based on recommendations

Ipod player (portable)

Alarm clock

Over door shoe hanger (this was great for our balcony room, not so sure if will need for suite but will bring it our next cruise)

Lanyard for fun pass

Insulated mug

Powerstrip

Chargers for camera, phone, Kindle etc.

Binaculars

Plastic bags

Things glad brought but were not recommended

A shoulder bag to go on excursions

Magnetic dry erase board for cabin door

Pre ordered drink coupons - that was great to keep budget in check.

Things we forgot or should have forgot

Extra bags (like reusable you get at supermarket). We had extra stuff to carry and it was handy to have the bags that we got at store in FLL

1/2 the clothes! I know everyone wants to be prepared. But we packed way too much. This next cruise we will do better!

Several people here have mentioned they always remember to pack their power strips. I understood that Carnival had banned the plug strips due to fire hazard concerns. Am I wrong here? I hope I am because I've always brought one along, but didn't last year for the above stated reason.

We just got back from our first cruise and I wish I had brought a power strip, more COMFORTABLE shoes, and we needed more regular lotion that I brought. While onboard I bought another pair of flip flops and the lotion. I don't understand how people gain weight on a cruise with all the walking we did.

We just took our first cruise on the Splendor the week before the fire. #1 wish we would have packed less-seriously! #2 Brought more cash and a plastic laynard thing to hold our sign and sail cards. #3 Should have packed more than one set of batteries for my camera.

Just returned from my first cruise. I used the (huge) packing list suggestions that are floating around these boards as a guideline and it helped a lot. The one think I forgot (and won't forget again) is a bungee cord to hold open the balcony door. No flames ... I know you're not supposed to do that .... but when you're running in and out taking pics of sunrise/sunset, it would have been nice to have the door stay open for short periods of time.

I have a couple of things.

1. Netbook if you have one. Not of the internet, but you can upload any documents before you leave. Use the harddrive to upload pictures and if you can have a movie uploaded for the trip.

2. Backpack/sholder bag for trips in port

3. Gallon size ziplock bags. If you have a 35mm camera keep the camera in the bag while in the stateroom and when you go on deck the condensation will be on the bag and not the camera.

4. Small packet of travel laundry soap. You can take less skivies and do one load of laundry on the ship.

5. Most importantly a realxed attitude. Remember, you are on vacation and this is supposed to be fun.

Nyquil and Mentholatum...and more cold medicine.

I got the worst cold ever on my first cruise and was not able to sleep at night because I could not breathe for the entire 7 day cruise.......but we still had a great time! :D

Now needless to say, I pack a medicine cabinet, just in case!

The hubby and I will be leaving on Sunday for our first cruise on the Valor. I have our bags packed with everything that I think we need, but what is something that you wished you would have taken on your first cruise that you bring now??

We probably brought too much, as it was our first cruise and the day after we got married, as long as we had eachother thats all that mattered to us...34th anniversary today :) guess we did it right

Several people here have mentioned they always remember to pack their power strips. I understood that Carnival had banned the plug strips due to fire hazard concerns. Am I wrong here? I hope I am because I've always brought one along, but didn't last year for the above stated reason.

No they are not banned as long as the wires are in good shape

Archived