Oh Dear!!

Calling won't necessarily help with the beds. Every cruise I've been on has been with a non-significant-other, necessitating two beds. Every single time we've checked "beds apart" on the reservation. Every single time the beds have been together when we arrived.

A simple request to the cabin attendant will result in the beds being configured as desired.

I don't know if I would because cancelling person number 1 might make person number 2 responsible for the price. RCI does weird stuff. When my friend was cancelling her husband off of the cruise and taking just her kids on our Grandeur cruise -- and she was doing this the week before the cruise, RCI cancelled the husband, moved the son into the husband spot, then said the son "owed more money" :eek:. She had already paid final payment so it didn't make any sense to me either. It was all cancellation penalties.

So I would just leave it alone. The penalties alone would eat up most of the cost and your mom would be stuck paying for it.

This is good to know, I have wondered, what would happen if DH suddenly couldn't go and our Daughter could and we were within a few days of sailing. I assume if further out then I would need to get daughters information for the Set sail pass and inform our TA I am switching a passenger.

Calling won't necessarily help with the beds. Every cruise I've been on has been with a non-significant-other, necessitating two beds. Every single time we've checked "beds apart" on the reservation. Every single time the beds have been together when we arrived.

A simple request to the cabin attendant will result in the beds being configured as desired.

Both RCL cruises they put the beds together and I was travelling with another female. Her name could be either in the shortened form they gave to the cabin steward .. he showed his list to me.

I would have the person be a no show, unless they are trying to collect on insurance. .. I have several of these coming up myself.

This is good to know, I have wondered, what would happen if DH suddenly couldn't go and our Daughter could and we were within a few days of sailing. I assume if further out then I would need to get daughters information for the Set sail pass and inform our TA I am switching a passenger.

That's an easy one, you can do one name change without penalty per reservation.

But in our case, the person had already done a name change, (changed the husband's name to an aunt's name) and then ended up cancelling the aunt/husband less than 7 days before the cruise. That made the 3rd person on the sailing become the 2nd. RCI cancelled the 2nd fare and kept THAT money as it was the penalty for cancelling so late. Then they took the little boy who was the 3rd person on the booking and moved him into the 2nd spot but he no longer had enough money on the booking to be the 2nd fare so the mom had to pay more FOR him. Does that make sense? :eek: Oh yeah it was a mess.

So if her mom cancels the 2nd person on the booking then she will NOT have enough money IN her cabin to sail. And she will have to pay for the 2nd person not sailing and the 2nd person will not get their money back anyway because RCI will keep that money as "penalty for cancelling".

So do NOT call RCI and cancel. :(

Shhhhhhh

Unless you have insurance I would just check in and not say anything to anyone about the other person. People are allowed to check in separately of the other person. When you get to the cabin if the beds are separated after muster when your cabin steward comes around you can ask him to put the beds together. Every time I travel it seems the beds are not configured correctly and they are checked on the reservation but somehow it doesn't make it from the reservation to the cabin steward the same. it takes him/her a few minutes to change it and while you're at dinner it will be done.

On my Freedom cruise my buddy was unable to make it. I never said a word at check in since he had no insurance and the room was already paid for. No questions were ever asked and somewhere about the 5th day the port fees and taxes for his portion were credited to my account. I never talked to anyone about it and it did not seem to be an issue. Enjoy your cruise, Jim

of course, but the single supplement would be less in total for the cabin because you pay no taxes and noncommissionable on the 2nd

But the single supplement might be 200% which mom would now have to pay through no fault of her own. They would cancel the 2nd remove the money on that person. Then mom would need to come up with the rest. In 2 days.

But the single supplement might be 200% which mom would now have to pay through no fault of her own. They would cancel the 2nd remove the money on that person. Then mom would need to come up with the rest. In 2 days.

Don't think that's the way it is. The cruise is paid for. Every double is 200% for 1 or 2 people.

By your thinking, the person not going would get no refund (we know that) and the person that is going would have to pay for another person again. No Way

Thanks to all who contributed suggestions. I took a chance and called RCCL rep. Without hesitating, the rep took her room mate off the reservation and refunded my mom the taxes. Also, he did not charge her any additional money. In fact, the total for her cruise was exactly what she originally paid....no supplement! The rep was very courteous and understanding. Once again, the cruise line came through!

This happened to me a few years ago when DH couldn't go. I did know about 3 weeks in advance but chose to do nothing because we'd had a couple of discounts that meant I was paying about what I would have paid with a single supplement and so not worth making a change.

I may have gotten taxes and insurance refunded but not sure as it's been a while.

Thanks to all who contributed suggestions. I took a chance and called RCCL rep. Without hesitating, the rep took her room mate off the reservation and refunded my mom the taxes. Also, he did not charge her any additional money. In fact, the total for her cruise was exactly what she originally paid....no supplement! The rep was very courteous and understanding. Once again, the cruise line came through!

Phew! You obviously had me very worried. So glad they didn't charge her any more. :) I hope she has a wonderful cruise!

Archived