RCI - Is the 'Athens Exclusive Tour' worth the money?

Never_Been_Cruising

We're going on our first cruise in May 2011. I'm now starting to look at the excursions that are available. One of them is the Athens Exclusive Tour, which is 200 quid per adult. I know that a lot of people go on private excursions, but as our first cruise so we're not comfortable with 'going it alone'. But DH is very much 'let's push the boat out for Athens' but when I told him how much the excursion was he did balk a little it has to be said.

So has anyone been on this excursion? Is it worth the money?

Hi-While I can't speak for that tour itself, I have taken the Athens on your own excursion from RCI. For me, it was ideal as I didn't have to worry about transportation to and from Piraeus. This was my second time in Athens, but even a newcomer could do it-it was so easy. The bus dropped us just down the street from the New Acropolis Museum,so from there it is easy to navigate one's way up to the Acropolis and then down to the Agora. Also, you are smack dab in the middle of the Plaka section, which has fabulous shopping and eating.

We had a terrific guide on board who supplied maps,etc. and answered all of our questions. While I do prefer private excursions, I must say this was an easy call to make. Hope this helps!! Shelly:)

Hi-While I can't speak for that tour itself, I have taken the Athens on your own excursion from RCI. For me, it was ideal as I didn't have to worry about transportation to and from Piraeus. This was my second time in Athens, but even a newcomer could do it-it was so easy. The bus dropped us just down the street from the New Acropolis Museum,so from there it is easy to navigate one's way up to the Acropolis and then down to the Agora. Also, you are smack dab in the middle of the Plaka section, which has fabulous shopping and eating.

We had a terrific guide on board who supplied maps,etc. and answered all of our questions. While I do prefer private excursions, I must say this was an easy call to make. Hope this helps!! Shelly:)

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to look into that for sure. Question, how far a walk is the acropolis from the acropolis museum itself? You say it's easy from the museum to find the acropolis so I'm guessing it's sign posted, but just want to get an idea of walking distances. I think you may have convinced us that we could do this though...:D

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to look into that for sure. Question, how far a walk is the acropolis from the acropolis museum itself? You say it's easy from the museum to find the acropolis so I'm guessing it's sign posted, but just want to get an idea of walking distances. I think you may have convinced us that we could do this though...:D

The entrance to the path upward to the Acropolis is almost directly across from the Acropolis museum. And this is the easier path (fewer stairs) than the one to the other side. I can't recall for sure but I'm pretty certain there is a sign. At any rate, it's pretty obvious. On the path, you will pass the remains of the Theater of Dionysus and the Odeon of Herodes Atticus. You can visit the Theater with your Acropolis ticket (but not the Odeon).

We did Athens on our own in July. There is about a 20 minute walk to the Metro, or you can negotiate with the crazy cab drivers. The Metro has stations close to the Acropolis, Constitution square, etc. The Metro day pass is 3 Euro. Buy a good guide book and save bigtime.

Save yourself some money, take the metro, short walk to station, just follow the crowd, manny people will take the metro, forgot the name of the staion you get off, do some research, very easy to do this city on your own, and not very expensive. Enjoy.

Archived