BOA Visa double points ending soon

BroncosFan2010

As a followup, it should have been FICO score not FICA. I must have taxes on my mind. :confused:

Anyway, an interesting web site which will give you free information about your FICO score number is CreditKarma com

They do have a lot of ads to try and make money off you. I just ignore that but get great information and recommendations about my score. I don't receive spam emails but use a throwaway hotmail account for such signup purposes anyway.

Steve - Thanks for the information. At my age I'm not really worried about my credit. I just might hold on to it just in-case I need it at some time. If it costs BOA some money I'm all for that.:D:D

I'm older than you but did you know that your car insurance and other rates are calculated based upon your FICO score as well? The better your score, the better the risk, the lower your premiums.

I'm older than you but did you know that your car insurance and other rates are calculated based upon your FICO score as well? The better your score, the better the risk, the lower your premiums.

Thanks for that information, I didn't know that about car insurance. I guess I'll have to go check my FICO score one of these days.

I guess my age is on the roll call. I've had a birthday since then.:eek::eek::eek:

See you on the 14th at sail-away.:D

I guess my age is on the roll call. I've had a birthday since then.:eek::eek::eek:

See you on the 14th at sail-away.:D

Looking forward to meeting you and Charles. Or is it Charlie?

I just checked. I was wrong. I am not older than you. :D You just looked younger in your picture. ;)

Looking forward to meeting you and Charles. Or is it Charlie?

I just checked. I was wrong. I am not older than you. :D You just looked younger in your picture. ;)

He goes by Charlie, and he is really old.:D:D Thanks for telling me I look younger than me picture. We try not to act old. Or maybe we are acting old and foolish. Oh well, that's life.

• Your account number will change. When your card(s) arrive in April [/font][/size]

[/left]

]

Well, I will cancel too. I have a lot of auto payments on it and thought I wouldn't have to go through that trouble. Since I have to notify everyone anyway I might as well look around for something better.

Thanks for the update.

Cynthia

I received my letter today. It states that my # will NOT change. Everything else is the same.

I received my letter today from BoA. It says:

The program ends March 31, 2011.

I will get a new card in April, with a new account number.

All existing points will transfer to their World Points program.

The last day to earn double points for Celebrity purchases is Feb 28.

The last day to redeem for Celebrity items is March 31.

I think the World Points program is the same one - it just doesn't have Celebrity. The main thing I lose is the extra percent on Celebrity.... but if you have a Costco AmEx card, you get 2% on all your travel on that card.

I've had good experiences with BoA on this card, so I'll keep it as long as it's no-fee, and the 1% back. Travel will all move to the Costco AmEx though - given what I spend on cruises cost over a year, an extra 1% of that is a good thing.

I'm so frustrated with BOA. I call to check on the OBC that I booked online. I was sent an email confirmation and was saving it on my computer as my printer wasn't working at the time. I now have a printer but cannot find the email confirmation. I called boa and was kept on hold for so long that my phone started beeping that there was almost no battery left. So, I hung up and called on my cell. Waited but finally spoke with a person who told me the number and numbers to press. Called and waited and waited and waited but finally talked with a person who said that I wasn't talking to the right department. She told me to call a number (which turned out to be the same number that I called) but couldn't help me beyond that and told me to call the number on the card. So, of course, I called that number and waited until my phone began beeping again. I think that making us wait will make us think twice about collecting.

Can anyone tell me how many points the Onboard Credit costs?

I normally redeem for cash.

Each dollar I spend gives me 2 points and once one has spent $12,500

(25,000 points) one can get $250 cash back - effectively 2% back.

How many points does the OBC cost and how much is the OBC worth?

I looked on the web site and they no longer have the info there.

I have just over 25,000 points and am wondering if the OBC would be more than the $250 cash back !!!

Thanks in advance.

I also booked my OBC on line. But I did print out the confirmation, but not much info on it. I called Captain's Club number to make sure it gets applied to the cruise and she said she has to send an email to BOA requesting the OBC. So I should check back in a week to make sure it is applied. Seems like a big circle if you ask me! :eek:

Pat

I was able to redeem points for OBC very easily, thanks to advice here on CC. Redeemed points on BofA website, received email confirmation, called Capt's club to apply to cruise. Once onboard, OBC showed up first day.

Sorry to see this program end. Does OBC have to be applied to a specific cruise by March 31 or just redeemed with BofA?

I'm so frustrated with BOA. I call to check on the OBC that I booked online. I was sent an email confirmation and was saving it on my computer as my printer wasn't working at the time. I now have a printer but cannot find the email confirmation. I called boa and was kept on hold for so long that my phone started beeping that there was almost no battery left. So, I hung up and called on my cell. Waited but finally spoke with a person who told me the number and numbers to press. Called and waited and waited and waited but finally talked with a person who said that I wasn't talking to the right department. She told me to call a number (which turned out to be the same number that I called) but couldn't help me beyond that and told me to call the number on the card. So, of course, I called that number and waited until my phone began beeping again. I think that making us wait will make us think twice about collecting.

Judy,

I would call Celebrity. I didn't even get a confirmation # on my confirmation and Celebrity found it. I just had to tell which cruise to apply it to. I emailed and didn't call it took a few days.

Cynthia

Travel will all move to the Costco AmEx though - given what I spend on cruises cost over a year, an extra 1% of that is a good thing.

I have the Costco Amex Open card as well. However if you really want more cash back, Discover has a bonus program where each quarter they give 5% back on different categories. Jan-March I get 5% for Restaurants, cruises, hotels, airlines up to $800 spending. Then I switch to Amex.

When I redeem Discover, I get $25 certificates at a ton of merchants for a $20 credit. That's how I saved $300 on a big screen TV using only $240 in cash rebates. I could have taken the $240 in cash. I also got a 5% cash rebate on my cash portion of the TV. :D

If you buy through their web site, they give a higher cash back bonus. I don't know if the cruise prices are actually the same or cost more by booking through them. But Celebrity, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Holland America and NCL get you 5% cash rebates.

This is what they say under terms:

Offer is based on the cruise fare at the time of departure; lowest available fare guaranteed at the time of booking

May be used in conjunction with other offers such as: Past Passenger promotions, senior rates, etc.; confirm offer eligibility at time of booking.

What's the difference between getting $250 in OBC or a $250 check? Just thought I'd share.

@chucktownsteve- sad but I know your book reference well- LOL Been through many changes at work- you know there is even a movie-LOL

But you survived by adapting. Right?

I'm at the point in my life where I'm ready for the lab techs to start bringing me my government cheese. :p I'm tired of the maze. But ready for much more cruising!!!!

I have been reading this in shock and horror. We have been working so hard to save points and we are SOOOOO close to the magic 75,000 when you qualify for a free companion for a 7 day caribbean cruise. What is the best way to salvage our points ? We cant cruise before 3/31. If we book a cruise before 3/31 but dont cruise until later in the year can we apply the points for OBC and use them then? If we manage to get the remaining points before 2/28 can we use them for the free companion cruise for later in the year? We havent gotten a letter but I'm sure its on its way. I have booked and paid for a cruise in the past for my adult daughter ( she doesnt live with me) and there was no problem even though I didnt go on the cruise. If I booked and paid for a cruise for someone else could I apply my points to their OBC?

The letter I received stated the following:

"The last day to earn double Worldpoints for Celebrity Cruise purchases is February 28, 2011 (transactions must post by this date).

The last day to redeem for WorldPoints rewards for Celebrity Rewards Program Redemptions is March 31, 2011."

Call 1-800-732-9194 to speak to customer service rep. My interpretation is that you don't have to use the points (i.e. take a cruise) just redeem them through B of A by the March 31 deadline. Good idea to check though...

So, once you redeem by March 31 -- how long do you have to use that redeemed certificate? i.e., how long is it good for? We want to pay in full by Feb 28 for double points then redeem by March 31 for OBC on an April 24 cruise. Seems like it would work for us....yes?

I have always saved up 'til 25,000 points, and then had them send me a $250 check. For every amount lower than that, you get less than 1%. For amounts higher than that, you still get 1%. That's how I'll continue to use it.

The OBC is fine, but the cost of it to either BoA or Celebrity is WAY less than the $250 check, and if I have to cancel a cruise after putting the OBC on it, then I have to deal with that hassle.

Unless you're one of the rare folks that were getting the companion pass, I don't think we're losing much by the switch. Cash is king. :)

David: I also prefer a cash reward. With cash you can spend it as you like, not using it directly on the ship.

I will keep our AMEX card as we have it linked into too many accounts. According to the letter, the AMEX card will have the same number, while the Visa card will change, and a new number and card will be sent in March.

So, once you redeem by March 31 -- how long do you have to use that redeemed certificate? i.e., how long is it good for? We want to pay in full by Feb 28 for double points then redeem by March 31 for OBC on an April 24 cruise. Seems like it would work for us....yes?

Hi James !

Im not certain how far in advance you will be able to book. As long as you redeem your points by 3/31/11, you should not have a problem using the points for OBC on a 4/24 sailing. Please let us know how it works out. Good Luck !

"The last day to earn double Worldpoints for Celebrity Cruise purchases is February 28, 2011 (transactions must post by this date).

The last day to redeem for WorldPoints rewards for Celebrity Rewards Program Redemptions is March 31, 2011."

Call 1-800-732-9194 to speak to customer service rep. My interpretation is that you don't have to use the points (i.e. take a cruise) just redeem them through B of A by the March 31 deadline. Good idea to check though...

Hi Sandi !

That's exactly what I mentioned a few posts back. My understanding is, as long as you redeem for a Celebrity Reward no later than 3/31/11, it should not be a problem. That's the crucial date, that anyone who has plans for a Celebrity Reward should keep in mind.

I agree with you, that Guests with questions, should call the BOA phone number for assistance.

I have always saved up 'til 25,000 points, and then had them send me a $250 check. For every amount lower than that, you get less than 1%. For amounts higher than that, you still get 1%. That's how I'll continue to use it.

The OBC is fine, but the cost of it to either BoA or Celebrity is WAY less than the $250 check, and if I have to cancel a cruise after putting the OBC on it, then I have to deal with that hassle.

Unless you're one of the rare folks that were getting the companion pass, I don't think we're losing much by the switch. Cash is king. :)

That's what I've been doing too. Show me the money. ;)

I got the same notice in the mail yesterday and I'm fuming. I opened the card last May because we were going to try Celebrity this year and I stopped using our RCCL card and was putting everything on the Celebrity card to build up some OBC. Our cruise isn't until November so what do I do with the points I already earned. I charged so much on it over the holidays. I know I'll be closing the card once I figure out how to use my points. I can't cash them in for OBC because if they are like RCCL cards, the coupons expire after so many days and like I said we don't sail Celebrity until November.

I never saw this thread or else I would have stopped using it back in October - yesterday was the first time I heard about it when I received the notice from BOA.

Patty

Archived