NCL in the New York Times -- Bad Review!

cruisecruiserAS

A while back someone posted a review on CC that had the same complaints as were found in this article. Guess he didn't like what CC's had to say so took it to the media. As usual, the Times writer didn't bother to research the facts...what's the saying...believe half of what you hear and almost nothing of what you read...or something like that :D

It was unfortunate that the family had to be quarantined but the other choice was to expose the rest of the ship to whatever bug the child had. NCL had every right to do it. They should have probably let them order from the MDR menu for room service but that might be something they should take up with NCL.

Just had my 5th cruise on NCL. In those 32 nights I have only waiting more than 5 minutes for a table. That was about 15 minutes. So from 32 dinners, just one had a wait.

How do these people find these 2/3 hour waits every night ?

I was very sceptical of the 2-3 hour wait for a table claimed in the article. My experience with NCL was very similar to yours... 5 minutes most nights, and the longest we waited was 15 minutes.

Just had my 5th cruise on NCL. In those 32 nights I have only waiting more than 5 minutes for a table. That was about 15 minutes.

So from 32 dinners, just one had a wait.

How do these people find these 2/3 hour waits every night ?

They are referring to specialty restaurants, which I agree can have a long wait... if you don't have a reservation. But that's where cruise planning comes in, make reservations when you get on the ship!

I can't believe that among the buffet, the dining room and the restaurants there wasn't a place to eat! You're bound to find something you like. I think they were just mad because they were quarantined to their cabin BUT that's not NCL's fault.

I think they were just mad because they were quarantined to their cabin BUT that's not NCL's fault.

I'll bet most rants are the result of one perceived bad experience (e.g., quarantine for an illness; inability to upgrade stateroom on the ship) that colors everything else and the resulting rant is just a way to get even with the cruise line. Best to just ignore and trust your own experiences.

Have you cruised NCL recently or are you depending on what you see posted from time to time? Would you like to share with us some of the Travel Guides and Travel magazine articles that have rated NCLs food inferior to say, RCI or Princess? I have sailed all the mass marketed lines, with the exception of HAL the food is pretty similar. NCL does serve smaller protions, but the quality is no better or worse than most lines. By the way, I also subscribe to a couple of travel magazines and have yet to see an article stating NCL food in below par. Am I defending them? yes, because I don't mind opinions but I think when someone states something as fact they really need to back it up.

Nita

The guides & magazines I was referring to include Conde Nast Traveler, Travel and Leisure, Berlitz, Frommers, Fodors , etc. I have taken 13 cruises including the major mass market lines and a few luxury ones. In general the mass market lines Imho are comparable to hotel banquet type food with Celebrity usually rated the best for food (I do think that X has declined somewhat). I also thought that HAL's was quite goodand Princess was not. I have not seen NCL the top rated for food, but clearly on this site there are fans. Of course food tastes are subjective, I was merely stating well known objective ratings, not one unhappy pax.

I just got off the Sky yesterday. I thought the food was bland, boring and "pedestrian" at best. I will be posting pics to back it up for Nita :p so stay tuned. However, the service was great and we never had a wait for a meal. Unfortunately even in Le Bistro it wasn't worth the extra $20 pp. Yes, food is subjective. But I do expect quality greater than an elementary school cafeteria and the Sky (and Star a few years ago) did not deliver that for me. I will NOT say all of NCL is this way as I know each ship can be different. Maybe my experience is because they were a 4 day repo and a 3 day Bahama's booze cruise but the food was my least favorite part of them. Also, having worked on a ship I know full well what goes into making 2000+ people happy, however, this just didn't even seem like the chefs (or those designing the meals) even tried.

Just my 2cents as I just got off yesterday.:p

The guides & magazines I was referring to include Conde Nast Traveler, Travel and Leisure, Berlitz, Frommers, Fodors , etc. I have taken 13 cruises including the major mass market lines and a few luxury ones. In general the mass market lines Imho are comparable to hotel banquet type food with Celebrity usually rated the best for food (I do think that X has declined somewhat). I also thought that HAL's was quite goodand Princess was not. I have not seen NCL the top rated for food, but clearly on this site there are fans. Of course food tastes are subjective, I was merely stating well known objective ratings, not one unhappy pax.

Here is some insight on Conde Nast ratings.

The 2,500-passenger Viking XPRS, launched in 2008, was named by Conde Nast readers as the fifth-best mid-sized ship in the world, beating out “best of” regulars from lines like Oceania Cruises and Holland America.

But here's the rub. "This is not at all a cruise ship," Niemela says. "It's a ferry that basically transports people and cars from points A to B, as fast as possible."

So how did the ferry make it onto Conde Nast's gold-chip list of cruise ships? Speculation is rampant that a prankster may have been able to rig the results.

Still, a Conde Nast Traveler editor, Beata Loyfman, who oversaw the survey, defends its accuracy. "After we get the data," she told Cruise Critic today, "it goes through a rigorous system of checks and balances, where we put it through several different layers to make sure they're not on there because of ballot-stuffing.

"Viking XPRS passed all of its cross-checks."

More from Conde Nast --- MIAMI – July 21, 2008 – Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) received top billing in Condé Nast Traveler magazine’s special August cruise issue, which hits newsstands today. The top-rated travel magazine recognizes Norwegian Gem as one of the best cruise ships for “spa lovers” and Norwegian Jade as one of the best for “foodies.”

so what you are saying is: in your opinion and you are also saying, because NCL isn't at the top they are rated poorly. Yes, some do not like NCL food, some don't like RCI or Princess, whatever. My point is, there have been few if any actual surveys that put NCL at the bottom like you are indicating. Mass marketed lines are exactly that and yes, the food is much like banquet food. No one would deny that either, but this doesn't mean NCL is sub par. and Yes, Celebrity does get high ratings, but I happen to like HAL much better. Again this just shows how opinions differ.

Nita

Need more ____

NCL has received many awards and industry accolades including:

2010 Sherman's Travel January

Best Big Ship Debut: Norwegian Epic

2010 Departures Magazine

Cruising the A-List: Norwegian Epic

2010 Frommer's Five Star Ratings

Winners: Norwegian Epic, Gem, Pearl, Jade, and Jewel

2009 The World Travel Awards

Norwegian Cruise Line named Europe's Leading Cruise Line

2009 Cruise Critic Editor's Picks Award

Best for Big Ship Suites

2009 TTG Travel Awards

Cruise Line of the Year - under 75,000 passengers

Highly commended: NCL Training Program of the Year for NCL University

2009 Travel Weekly Magellan Awards

Gold awarded in the Advertising/Marketing category for Norwegian's Summer Blockbuster promotion and Norwegian's Awards campaign

Gold awarded in the Website category for the launch of NCLUniversity.com

Silver awarded in the Advertising/Marketing category for Norwegian's Alaska campaign and for the Norwegian Epic website ------------

I believe I have stated my position and do not want to beat a dead horse, but you can find opinions on almost everything to support your position, so the only true way to judge something is by your own experiences. Do not believe everything you read.

so what you are saying is: in your opinion and you are also saying, . Yes, some do not like NCL food, some don't like RCI or Princess, whatever. My point is, there have been few if any actual surveys that put NCL at the bottom like you are indicating. Mass marketed lines are exactly that and yes, the food is much like banquet food. No one would deny that either, but this doesn't mean NCL is sub par. and Yes, Celebrity does get high ratings, but I happen to like HAL much better. Again this just shows how opinions differ.

Nita[/QUOT

apparently

Nita: you are always quick to post (over 20,000 of them), but you don't take the time to read carefully. I did not say "because NCL isn't at the top they are rated poorly" or I was putting "NCL at the bottom". I was merely saying that NCL is not highly rated for food by various recognized magazines and publishers. Let people have there say and I agree one ranting opinion, ether good or bad, should be dismissed just like the voting in the Olympic (drop the high and the low and average the balance).

To the other poster who quoted a July, 2008 review of the Jade, it is a little old and before the Jade was repositioned to Europe full time. Being "for foodies" can mean alot of things such as choice rather than taste. We'll be taking the Jade shortly and will give you my opinion of its food.

Need more ____

NCL has received many awards and industry accolades including:

2010 Sherman's Travel January

Best Big Ship Debut: Norwegian Epic

2010 Departures Magazine

Cruising the A-List: Norwegian Epic

2010 Frommer's Five Star Ratings

Winners: Norwegian Epic, Gem, Pearl, Jade, and Jewel

2009 The World Travel Awards

Norwegian Cruise Line named Europe's Leading Cruise Line

2009 Cruise Critic Editor's Picks Award

Best for Big Ship Suites

2009 TTG Travel Awards

Cruise Line of the Year - under 75,000 passengers

Highly commended: NCL Training Program of the Year for NCL University

2009 Travel Weekly Magellan Awards

Gold awarded in the Advertising/Marketing category for Norwegian's Summer Blockbuster promotion and Norwegian's Awards campaign

Gold awarded in the Website category for the launch of NCLUniversity.com

Silver awarded in the Advertising/Marketing category for Norwegian's Alaska campaign and for the Norwegian Epic website ------------

I believe I have stated my position and do not want to beat a dead horse, but you can find opinions on almost everything to support your position, so the only true way to judge something is by your own experiences. Do not believe everything you read.

Where is the award for best food? It does win awards for suites and marketing. In any event I agree: let's not beat a dead horse.

Hello everyone,

I found this in the NYT and wanted t share it with you. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/12/your-money/12haggler.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=NCL&st=Search

I don't like how the writer bases his opinion about NCL on 1 passenger's experience. I personally like the food on NCL, sometimes it's a hit and miss but it's not as awful as he describes it.

Any opinions?

Very negative article. Why should the complainer be compensated? It wasn't NCL's fault their daughter got a fever. Some people would compain if you hung them with a NEW rope.

Please!!! Think about how really incredibly reasonable a cruise vacation is. What percentage of the fare is for food? Try to work the numbers... Especially the way somewhat normal people make gluttons of themselves. How many threads have you read about people asking or telling of ordering multiples of each course. Don't even get me started on the buffet. Some people's food is piled so high you can barely see their heads! And what about people that bitch about the same food on the buffet or in the MDR??? Guess what??? If you eat some of everything on the buffet in one sitting, there might not be something new to experience tomorrow.

If someone puts such a humongous emphasis on cruiseship food, might I recommend Silversea... But they probably have a better food budget than NCL does.

That this article was printed in the New York Times doesn't lend it any credibility.

Missy pon=inted out that the author had asked for negative comments from his readers. That he got them and printed them certainly isn't a surprise. NYT doesn't really have that many readers. It does have a reasonably wide circulation. Their credibility isn't all that high and they certainly have an agenda with their slanted reporting.

These pax complained that the MDR menu was stifling and the waits in the specialty venues were intolerable. Take away the 2 days they got quarentined and there ain't all that much time left to carp about the food.

They didn't do their homework in re the destination and this is the company's fault? Nonsense.

Here's some reality. This was basically a troll posting taken in hand by the Times. It deserves as much derision as half of what they print.

Please!!! Think about how really incredibly reasonable a cruise vacation is. What percentage of the fare is for food? Try to work the numbers... Especially the way somewhat normal people make gluttons of themselves. How many threads have you read about people asking or telling of ordering multiples of each course. Don't even get me started on the buffet. Some people's food is piled so high you can barely see their heads! And what about people that bitch about the same food on the buffet or in the MDR??? Guess what??? If you eat some of everything on the buffet in one sitting, there might not be something new to experience tomorrow.

If someone puts such a humongous emphasis on cruiseship food, might I recommend Silversea... But they probably have a better food budget than NCL does.

Thanks for your post Donna. It made me laugh for the first time today.

Radio program is speaking of pigs at the trough. Not the same context but it fits.

I read the New York Times every day and was quite surprised when I read the litany of complaints about NCL in The Haggler (Sunday Business Section). We've been on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, HAL, and Norwegian. Quite honestly, and I love to cook, NCL has a great buffet for breakfast and dinner. (I try not to eat too much for lunch but it looks good, too.) The specialty restaurants are easy to book (harder in days past when they had two for one specials) and the main dining is similar to other ships (some very good choices, other selections ok). The chocolate buffet is mediocre in quality but was nice when it was in the afternoon. To complain about the holiday on shore is ridiculous. One year, our daughter was studying in England and we went over Christmas when we were off from work. Everything was closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day but that's when we could go. We still had a good time. I don't think the Times intentionally singled out NCL. It could have been any cruise line. Just my opinion.

Susan

• 3 months later...

Doesn't surprise me. I just got back from the Pride of America (Hawaii) and the food was terrible. I couldn't even finish my dinner every night. I have been on dozens of cruises and Norwegian is the worst...by far.

Hello everyone,

I found this in the NYT and wanted t share it with you. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/12/your-money/12haggler.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=NCL&st=Search

I don't like how the writer bases his opinion about NCL on 1 passenger's experience. I personally like the food on NCL, sometimes it's a hit and miss but it's not as awful as he describes it.

Any opinions?

Your first problem was reading anything in the NY Times in the first place.

You would get more accurate and truthful reporting from the National Enquirer.

DKAL is absolutely correct.

As for TROOPERSHAN why oh why bring this thread back from the dead? If you have something to say say it yourself. Your opinion is fine but say it yourself.

I find TROOPERSHAN's FIRST post interesting. Especially after taking dozens of cruises???????

Doesn't surprise me. I just got back from the Pride of America (Hawaii) and the food was terrible. I couldn't even finish my dinner every night. I have been on dozens of cruises and Norwegian is the worst...by far.

and I have to wonder why a post that is 4 months old got dug up again? Oh well, now we are going to see every anti NCL fan and every cheer leader posting again. It is always interesting to hear someone say how bad the food is or was, and they couldn't even finish their meal. You know you can always send it back and order something else. Maybe you could tell us what was so bad about it and what you ordered on which nights. How about the buffet and the specialy dining rooms, were they awful as well?

Sorry you had such a bad experience, but I wonder if you did any research as I see this is your first posting.

Nita

Archived