Caribbean: Marina or Celebrity Equinox

zmikael

I hope to get some insight from those that have been to Caribbean and/or sailed Celebrity S-class.

Background: we are in late 40-th, have never been to Carribean yet. My DW has some walking difficulties, so we would prefer spending time on a beach rather than hiking. But seeing beatiful scenery from a bus/van window would be nice, too. DW also suffers from sea sickness:(

We both are foodies and enjoy a relaxed-type vacation. We also like thermal spa ;)

The hard choice: Here are two itineraries.

1) Selebrity Equinox, February 2012 from FLL, 4 sea days, calling on

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, Basseterre, St. Kitts, Bridgetown, Barbados,

Roseau, Dominica and Philipsburg, St. Maarten. AQ cabin costs about $4350

2) Marina, February 2012 from MIA, 3 sea days, ports of call Tortola, British Virgin Islands, Gustavia, St. Barts, St. John's, Antigua, Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands, La Romana, Dominican Republic, and Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands. B4 or A4 would cost about $5600-6400.

Please, share your thoughts.

For us it would be Oceania ..we prefer less passengers, no formal nights

Too many passengers on Celebrity for us but many people like the larger ships

Both would have a mix of beach locations & sightseeing islands

We just did Celebrity Equinox Aqua Class earlier this year. There was nothing for us to complain about - she's a lovely ship, food in Aqua Class (Blu) was good but not as good as Oceania. For our taste, Equinox is just too large and we prefer smaller ships and fewer passengers. While some people feel that Oceania may not be a 'true' luxury line like Crystal - Oceania is definitely luxury compared to Celebrity.

And Marina will be brand new which will be lovely!

Pam

A possible negative for someone with seasickness problems (as I do too but I try to ignore them!) ...

When we were on Oceania's Regatta some years ago, going in to Aruba was REALLY rough. Even our cabin stewardess was sick, although that didn't mean she got to lie down. I don't know how she did her work. The captain even changed the route to minimize the problem ... which as far as we were concerned, didn't minimize it.

What I'm trying to say is that probably 3 sea days might not be good for someone who tends to get seasick. Even in the Caribbean!

I agree with Lyn that we much prefer the smaller ships ...

Good luck on making your decision!

Mura

We both are foodies and enjoy a relaxed-type vacation. .....

Please, share your thoughts.

From the culinary point of view, Marina should offer a significantly better food product.

Blu is indeed very nice, but still doesn't quite match Grand Dining Room of Oceania in terms of overall food quality and elegance. What Blu may be superior is the ability to offer more intimate service due to its size, where one can often get the same waiter /assistant waiter every night. Maitre D' in Blu has been impressive as they were very much hands on, unlike GDR where the sheer size ( only in comparison to the 126 seats of Blu ) demands a different role of its Maitre D'.

As for specialty restaurants, my impression from dining in each of these at least three times, pitches Polo against Tuscan, Toscana vs. Murano, is probably a tie. Depending on the ship/chef, I found some meals better than others, even the same items from the same restaurant.

As for Silk Harvest vs. Red Ginger, I have not been to either ( I'm stating the obvious with regards to Red Ginger), but if Silk Harvest is like P F Changs, as some posts had compared it to, then Red Ginger should easily win hands down.

When you have to go to Main Dining Room of Equinox or GDR of Marina for lunch, or Oceanview Cafe on Equinox or Terrace Cafe of Marina ( as Blu is not open for lunch ), the difference in food quality and service will be astounding.

Want a relaxing vacation? On sea days, you share Equinox with almost 3000 passengers, whereas Marina has under 1300 in a ship larger than half that size.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Let me be a little bit more specific. First, which itinerary do you think is better in terms of the non-crowdy, accessible, white-sand beaches?

Second, from a layman point of view, the larger the ship is, the lower the chance for the sea sickness. This dependence, however, may be non-linear such that two large enough but different in mass ships could have almost identical movements in the rough seas. So, only experience can tell.

Third, both DW and I have a heavy accent, and I am fearing we will be less welcome on Marina.

I echo Lyn's "huh???"

Why would an accent make you unwelcome on Marina?

Well, based on what I have read on this board, there is a good chance our room attendand can be of the same origin as we are (slavic in the broad sence). And this situation can be quite embarassing:(

Mike

Second, from a layman point of view, the larger the ship is, the lower the chance for the sea sickness. This dependence, however, may be non-linear such that two large enough but different in mass ships could have almost identical movements in the rough seas. So, only experience can tell.

AQ is on deck 11, B4 is on deck 7. The lower deck on Marina gives it more stability, perhaps neutralizes the size advantage of Equinox.

What is more important is whether you are forward, midship, or aft.

Having said that, Equinox , according to its Tuscan Maitre D' Dejan, takes rough sea much much better than the C- and M-class ships. Dejan was part of the crew that " opened " Equinox and sailed with it from Europe to USA. Of course, we don't know about Marina. I will find out in a month.

Please enlighten me on how being from the same region of Europe can potentially cause embarrassment in your case. I would like to learn about these cultural sensitivities.

Well, based on what I have read on this board, there is a good chance our room attendand can be of the same origin as we are (slavic in the broad sence). And this situation can be quite embarassing:(

Mike

Okay, Mike, I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. It is true that many of the crew (depending on the ship) are slavic in origin (as you say, in the broad sense). If you feel awkward in that case, than you do! Personally I don't think that *I* would, but I am not you.

The chances are also very good that your cabin steward will be of some other ethnicity as well. We've seen them from all over the world.

I agree with Mura the crew is international

We have had housekeeping staff from France, Serbia & Mexico

They do their job with a smile.

I could be missing something here but I do not think you would have any problem

Lyn

AQ is on deck 11, B4 is on deck 7. The lower deck on Marina gives it more stability, perhaps neutralizes the size advantage of Equinox.

What is more important is whether you are forward, midship, or aft.

Having said that, Equinox , according to its Tuscan Maitre D' Dejan, takes rough sea much much better than the C- and M-class ships. Dejan was part of the crew that " opened " Equinox and sailed with it from Europe to USA. Of course, we don't know about Marina. I will find out in a month.

Please enlighten me on how being from the same region of Europe can potentially cause embarrassment in your case. I would like to learn about these cultural sensitivities.

Thank you, this is indeed quantitative empirical info I was looking for. There are many components which are important for us, so it is hard to decide:( For example, S-class does not have a T-pool, but the spa in general should be more accessible to AQ on S-class than to A/B on Marina.

With regard to my feelings - those are just feelings which might depend more on my personality than on the objective situation. Imagine your stateroom attendant is your former classmate...

Mike

With regard to my feelings - those are just feelings which might depend more on my personality than on the objective situation. Imagine your stateroom attendant is your former classmate...

Mike

Stuff happens!!!

I would not limit my travel because it may or may not happen. :eek:

We all take a different path in life some are more fortunate than others.

It is how you handle the situation should it arise.

Enjoy your X cruise

Lyn

...... Imagine your stateroom attendant is your former classmate...

Mike

If you are thinking about former classmates that are of your age, i.e. late 40-ish, then there's very very little chance that that person being your stateroom attendent. On these two cruiselines, almost all the stateroom attendents are younger than 40, at least in AQ and A/B categories.

Those that perform well generally get promoted to other posts. Those that don't, they either are no longer hired, or quoting my cabin steward, " get assigned to the lowest decks".

You have a higher chance of seeing your former classmates as Chief housekeepr, or Maitre D'.

Will that bother you?

Tak2,

I used the classmate allegory so that you could understand possible feelings between me and the crew, both being immigrants (sort of) from the same origin. There are other aspects of being less welcome for us on Oceania that I did not reveal. Again just my feelings which are non-material.

Mike

Hi!

We have cruised on Oceania seven times and cruised on Celebrity more than a dozen times. We were on Equinox last Jan. on an 11 night Caribbean cruise.We were so disappointed!. We will never cruise with Celebrity again. I feel their service has really gone downhill as has their food.

We have become totally spoiled by the Oceania experience-the food and service on Oceania is so wonderful! Yes, Murano's was excellent but you can't eat there every night. We did eat there twice because we found both the food and service in the Main Dining room was of such poor quality.

We currently have 3 Oceania cruises booked-one on Regatta and two on Marina. We prefer not having formal nights and we like the idea of the smaller ship. We had to sit in the Equinox theatre for long periods of time prior to being called for a tour. There are lines everywhere and it's almost impossible to get a lounge at the pool or a seat in the buffet during lunch hours. They run out of silverware and we found the tables weren't cleared of the dirty dishes.

The Equinox was a beautiful looking ship but the Marina will be beautiful as well.

Choosing a cruise is an individual experience and cruisers look for different amenities when cruising!

Rhea

There are other aspects of being less welcome for us on Oceania that I did not reveal.

Mike

Maybe you are just being to critical of yourself

As far as I have seen the crew make everyone feel welcome

Treat people with respect & you will get respect back

enough said

Enjoy X

Lyn

I've only been on five cruises, two on O, but in my experience the crew of all cruise ships is international.

Therefore, I don't know why you would be more likely to see someone from your former country or someone you knew on an O cruise than on any other ship.

Tak2,

I used the classmate allegory so that you could understand possible feelings between me and the crew, both being immigrants (sort of) from the same origin. There are other aspects of being less welcome for us on Oceania that I did not reveal. Again just my feelings which are non-material.

Mike

I am trying to read between the lines to understand why you think that you would be unwelcome. Are you concerned that crew members are by and large from a country with which your own native country was at war (or has significant and ongoing differences) and that you will be mistreated?

If you don't harbor negative feelings toward them, especially as individuals, keep in mind that they probably don't towards you, either.

Gotta respond...we just got off the Solstice... and my husband is from the Ukraine(foremer RSSR) 32 yrs ago...... He is a Princeton Alum...and when he could speak in his in his native language ....they lit up...People are people....don't let your origin deter you from your choice....

If you want a true upscale experience then O is your choice... a mass market line like X is ok...but it's not the O experience as others have expressed.

CC

Gotta respond...we just got off the Solstice... and my husband is from the Ukraine(foremer RSSR) 32 yrs ago...... He is a Princeton Alum...and when he could speak in his in his native language ....they lit up...People are people....don't let your origin deter you from your choice....

If you want a true upscale experience then O is your choice... a mass market line like X is ok...but it's not the O experience as others have expressed.

CC

I am inclined toward O now, but will wait until reports are posted. Marina will have a similar sailing this March.

Archived