What Really happens if

Cruiser8_8

I've had many excursions canx over the years and always got the $$ back.

Curiosly the biggest 'problem' was on my last cruise. Sailing RCL to CocoCay last month, the SCUBA excursion was canx at the last minute (we were actually i the water already when told to turn around)

RCL had charged the early booking to my credit card and I was watching the credit card bill for the credit.

DUH ... the credit was on the ship-board account. . .

I've had wonderful experiences with RCI with excursions. Once in Cozumel (right after Hurricane Wilma) the docks were destroyed , had to tender in , and there was confusion where our excursion was to meet. Unfortunately we missed it. (I think it was a Jeep tour). I went back to the ship almost in tears and RCI refunded our tour.

Another incident was in St. Maarten. Hurricane Omar was on his way and it was rainy and stormy. We had a beach excursion booked. RCI gave us the option of taking the tour or getting a full refund. We took the full refund because we had no desire to go in a storm. I thought this was very considerate because they have no control over the weather.

So the moral of my story is they gave refunds even when they really didn't have to!

If you have booked an excursion thru the cruise ship and it is canceled for any reason, you get a full refund. Note that the cruise line will rarely cancel an excursion no matter how bad the weather. If you cancel because of the weather, you will not get a refund.

And I understand that even if you book an excursion through a private company and there's weather involved, you'll get a refund as well. I have not had to test that theory, though, so I could be wrong. :)

We had a private excursion in St. Thomas that the local operator cancelled because of the weather. Of course, they never charged us for that excursion.

I think that all of the private excursion we have booked have said that if the ship doesn't come in, we won't be charged.

And I understand that even if you book an excursion through a private company and there's weather involved, you'll get a refund as well. I have not had to test that theory, though, so I could be wrong. :)

The policies vary. Some "private beaches" have a no refund policy.

My last cruise my ship sponsored tour was canceled because not enough signed up for it. They offered another tour which I took though. The difference was refunded to me but the tour had been charged to my ship account anyway so it was a bookkeeping exercise. On most ship tours you have up until 24 hours before the tour to cancel for any reason. Some tours though require a longer notice however. Always be aware of the cancellation policies. I have canceled a tour before the cutoff while on the ship.

All of the private tours I have booked either required a small deposit ($10) or no deposit. I have always paid for the tour at the end of the tour. Any private tour operator asking for the full amount up front would be a red flag to me and I would run the other way.

The only way you get your money back is if the ship cancels the tour. You won't get a refund if you decide it's raining and don't feel like going. If the tour goes, you are obliged to pay whether you go or not.

Archived