Canadian Passport expiry question

nunuc2000

I thought I saw or read somewhere that passengers should make sure that their passports are at least 6 months from expiring when they travel, but I can't seem to find anything on that now.

My husband's passport expires late July/11, so it will be about 5 months from expiry when we travel. Has anyone else (particularly Canadian) travelled with passports nearing expiry date and had any issues at all? Any advice or thoughts on this topic would be helpful.

I thought I saw or read somewhere that passengers should make sure that their passports are at least 6 months from expiring when they travel, but I can't seem to find anything on that now.

My husband's passport expires late July/11, so it will be about 5 months from expiry when we travel. Has anyone else (particularly Canadian) travelled with passports nearing expiry date and had any issues at all? Any advice or thoughts on this topic would be helpful.

you will get an answer here, but I would ask this question in the ASK A QUESTION FORUM

you can check the internet for and answer also but I would renew it

Depends on where you are travelling. The US does not require 6 months but some countries do. Check on line for each country individually.

I strongly recommend to renew the passport. I do remember that I got this advise before my cruise a few years ago,just a few months before my passport expired. I was told by my TA that I would not be allowed to board the plane going on my vacation (Caribbean cruise out of US port).

The 6 months is generally required period of time after your return from vacation.

Thanks for your responses, folks... looks like we'll go ahead and get it renewed... but it does seem rather silly that a 5 year passport is really only good for 4 1/2 years. Oh well... at least we're doing it because we have a cruise to go on :rolleyes:

Thanks for your responses, folks... looks like we'll go ahead and get it renewed... but it does seem rather silly that a 5 year passport is really only good for 4 1/2 years. Oh well... at least we're doing it because we have a cruise to go on :rolleyes:

I agree with the silly comment.

Back in '09, we had were booked for a Panama Canal cruise which ended in mid-October '09. Our passport wasn't due to expire until March '10. However, we missed the 6 month cutoff by just a few days so we had to renew.

Rumours have been circulating Canada will be moving to the 10 year passport which would be great.

I would not re-new it if I were you. As you said, what good is a 5 year passport if you have to re-new it in 4 1/2 years.

The cruiselines do recommend that you re-new your passport if it expires in less than 6 months however it is ONLY a recommendation. They do not and cannot refuse you boarding if it is still valid.

I called last year when we would only had 4 1/2 months left til ours expired and was told it was a recommendation only. Had no problems.

This year when booking 2 cruises for BIL and SIL whose passports would expire in 3 months after the end of cruise 2, was again told it was a recommendation only. The 2 cruises were to the Western and Eastern Caribbean and on Carnival and Princess and both said the same thing. They never had an issue when booking or on the cruises or when they went through immigration in the US and Canada upon our return.

The cost for 5 years is already costly, never mind for 4 1/2 years.........lol

Rumours have been circulating Canada will be moving to the 10 year passport which would be great.

I was talking to my MP a couple weeks ago and this topic actually came up. (He's an old family friend.)

It looks like it's going to happen someday, but like a typical politician he won't directly say YES or NO and requires 2 years of debate and costly studies and ten thousand pages of reports before he'll even say MAYBE.

We really need to do this and bring us into the 21st century with the rest of the world.

I just came across the MOST helpful website for Canadians regarding the topic of validity of passports for travel…

Passport Canada website includes this clause:

Passports

You should have a valid Canadian passport for all trips outside Canada. A passport is the only reliable and universally accepted identification document, and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada. Some countries do not require a passport for entry but do require photographic identification (such as a driver’s licence) as well as proof of Canadian citizenship (such as a birth certificate or citizenship card). However, this varies from country to country.

You are advised to:

· Carry a passport for all trips outside Canada. Some countries require that your passport be valid for six months beyond your date of entry. Check the Country Travel Report for your destination to establish whether the six-month rule applies.

And this link to determine what rules apply in what countries:

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/menu-eng.asp

This is awesome!!!

I just came across the MOST helpful website for Canadians regarding the topic of validity of passports for travel…

Passport Canada website includes this clause:

Passports

You should have a valid Canadian passport for all trips outside Canada. A passport is the only reliable and universally accepted identification document, and it proves that you have a right to return to Canada. Some countries do not require a passport for entry but do require photographic identification (such as a driver’s licence) as well as proof of Canadian citizenship (such as a birth certificate or citizenship card). However, this varies from country to country.

You are advised to:

· Carry a passport for all trips outside Canada. Some countries require that your passport be valid for six months beyond your date of entry. Check the Country Travel Report for your destination to establish whether the six-month rule applies.

And this link to determine what rules apply in what countries:

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/menu-eng.asp

This is awesome!!!

So it turns out "a valid Canadian Passport is required for Canadians intending to visit Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. The passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected departure from the country."

The other countries have no strict guidelines or only suggest a vailidity period of 3 months. I'm going to contact the Passport Office to see if the 6 month restriction applies to cruise passengers... stay tuned! :rolleyes:

Last summer we were on a cruise that finished the last day of July and our passports ran out a few days before the end of the month in 6 month's time. January. When I tried to fill in all the info for the cruise, it would not accept it and I ended up having to call Princess. They would not accept the passport info because it the six months was up a few days before the end of the cruise. You are correct, as it stands a Canadian passport is really only valid 4 1/2 years. I would start applying for a renewal; it might not be the places you are travelling to that require a clear 6 months, it is likely going to be Princess.

I would just go ahead and renew as well. The process for a renewal is so simple now. Go online and fill out the 2 pages and print them, get your photos, and send those with your current passport. New one should arrive in 2-3 weeks. No need for guarantors and all that stuff for a renewal. The only issue, which is what I just went through, is the photos getting rejected for either a facial expression or glare.

I agree that the passports are only really good for 4 1/2 years. Add to that that you need to have a new passport in time to get visas (such as we need for China) and you need to renew even sooner.

I am willing, obviously to pay the price in order to travel, but will be glad when we move to a 10 year passport.

I agree that the passports are only really good for 4 1/2 years. Add to that that you need to have a new passport in time to get visas (such as we need for China) and you need to renew even sooner.

I am willing, obviously to pay the price in order to travel, but will be glad when we move to a 10 year passport.

I agree... the 10 year passport would be a huge improvement, but I suspect the Canadian government is reluctant to change the current 5 yr passport - they make more money this way than if they were to double the validity period :p

I agree... the 10 year passport would be a huge improvement, but I suspect the Canadian government is reluctant to change the current 5 yr passport - they make more money this way than if they were to double the validity period :p

I read somewhere they were changing in 2012 to the 10 yr ones

I hope so mine expires in 2012 ;)

But like all government bodies things move VERY slowly

Keep lobbying that MP....in the UK, you can renew up to 9 months in advance, and the months are added to you new passport, so you could end up with a pp for 10yrs 9mths. It's probably because most people have passports from birth in Europe....and would be very annoyed to lose out on up to 9 months.

So....get lobbying!

P&O wouldn't let me check in on line with a passport with only 5 months left; this was for a cruise only in Europe.... it was not the countries visited which required this, but the shipping line.

Jo.

It's not like they are going to still charge $87 for 10 years. They'll probably be closer to $200 for the 10 year by the time they do it, and they'll get that in advance. Plus less administrative and shipping charges when they don't have to redo them in 5 years. When was the last time the government did something for our convenience that cost them money? LOL

Keep lobbying that MP....in the UK, you can renew up to 9 months in advance, and the months are added to you new passport, so you could end up with a pp for 10yrs 9mths. It's probably because most people have passports from birth in Europe....and would be very annoyed to lose out on up to 9 months.

So....get lobbying!

Unfortunately, in Canada, they don't add up the remaining months from your old passport when you re-new. It's a good idea though.

It's not like they are going to still charge $87 for 10 years. They'll probably be closer to $200 for the 10 year by the time they do it, and they'll get that in advance. Plus less administrative and shipping charges when they don't have to redo them in 5 years. When was the last time the government did something for our convenience that cost them money? LOL

LOL!! Good point!!

Archived