Wait listed for MTD

marcc

We will be sailing for the first time with Royal Caribbean on EOS, Feb 6, 2011.

When we booked our cruise, we were told that we could only be wait listed for My Time Dining. Does anyone know what are the chances that we will be accommodated? Is wait listed just another way to say no ?

I hate the traditional 2 seatings. 6 is too early and 8:30 is too late. MTD seems to be the right option.

If we do end up with a spot at the 8:30 seating, can we just make a same day reservation for another time, anyway?

When we booked our cruise, we were told that we could only be wait listed for My Time Dining. Does anyone know what are the chances that we will be accommodated? Is wait listed just another way to say no ?

I hate the traditional 2 seatings. 6 is too early and 8:30 is too late. MTD seems to be the right option.

If we do end up with a spot at the 8:30 seating, can we just make a same day reservation for another time, anyway?

On some cruises, My Time Dining is very popular, and not everyone can be accommodated in it.

If you end up having second seating, 8:30 P.M., then that is the only time and only way that you can eat in the main dining room.

I assume that you mean the Explorer of the Seas and not Enchantment.

Explorer has Portofino and the Windjammer buffet for dinner in addition to the Main Dining Room. It also has Johnny Rocket's. Portofino has a charge - $20 pp, as does JR's - $4.95 pp. Windjammer is included in your cruisefare, and is actually very nice at dinner.

marcc - come join the Explorer roll call for 2/6/11. Are you coming independently or with a group from Montreal? What time do you expect to arrive at the port? If possible, you should plan to board as early as possible and go immediately to the MDR to arrange the My Time Dining. There is usually a line of folks wanting to switch their dining arrangements.

Another option might be to email Royal about the MTD. I have the following name & email for you to try.

Marlene Prieto

Administrator, Restaurant Operations

Specialty Dining Administration

Food & Beverage Operations

Royal Caribbean International

Tel:305-539-6000 ext. 38614

Fax:305-539-4205

RCLDining@rccl.com

A wait list may be a polite way to say no unless you are proactive in pursuing it.

I think that is because there are only a limited number of tables and waiters assigned to the MTD area. Check with the MD when you board, as most of the time those wait lists are cleared up. Also keep checking your "my cruises" account" as that wait list designation may clear up later on even before you board.

This is very interesting. I will be sailing on the Enchantment next month

And would prefer my time dining. I was told that there is no wait list and that I have to wait until I am on the ship to see if I can make the change.

I suspect MTD is waitlisted and that is why you have to make the change once on board. If it wasn't waitlisted - they would have confimed your request.

For those with more experience, is MTD wait listed more or early seating or late seating? We normally do late seating, but I think we are going to do MTD next time. 830 is getting to be a little too late for us. I guess that is what having a kid does to you...

For those with more experience, is MTD wait listed more or early seating or late seating? We normally do late seating, but I think we are going to do MTD next time. 830 is getting to be a little too late for us. I guess that is what having a kid does to you...

The popularity of each of those three options varies from cruise to cruise, depending on the demographics of the particular passengers on the cruise, so there is no direct answer to your question.

:)

But if it is wait listed why wouldn't they let me add my name to the list?

I have no idea, did you book thru a travel agent? If so, have them put you on a wait list. They will assign a traditional time to you until the wait list has cleared. That you may have to straighten out upon boarding.

The popularity of each of those three options varies from cruise to cruise, depending on the demographics of the particular passengers on the cruise, so there is no direct answer to your question.

:)

I have to agree - Explorer March 11 - MTD is waitlisted and I believe traditional 8:30 as well.

But if it is wait listed why wouldn't they let me add my name to the list?

There are three status for each dining: open (you can change to it), waitlisted (you can be added and if it clears they will auto-change you) or closed (it went to waitlist, the waitlist filled up and it is now closed)

Closed means that they are over booked and the waitlist is so long that even if everyone confirmed on MTD cancelled, the waitlist would fill it back up.

I suspect in your case, MTD is closed.

There are three status for each dining: open (you can change to it), waitlisted (you can be added and if it clears they will auto-change you) or closed (it went to waitlist, the waitlist filled up and it is now closed)

Closed means that they are over booked and the waitlist is so long that even if everyone confirmed on MTD cancelled, the waitlist would fill it back up.

I suspect in your case, MTD is closed.

If the waitlist is actually "closed" that would explain it. You could call and find out - or again - have your TA do it.

This is very interesting. I will be sailing on the Enchantment next month

And would prefer my time dining. I was told that there is no wait list and that I have to wait until I am on the ship to see if I can make the change.

Probably that the wait-list list is full too. They only put around 30 poeple on the wait-list list, and as MM says, it really depends on the demographic on board as to how popular MTD is.

I have been on cruises where they were on bended knee, BEGGING people to switch into MTD.

And you guys are reporting that MTD is closed.

I have seen main dining full and second seating with openings.

I have seen main dining with openings and second seating full.

"old" people (;)) and families with younger kids often prefer main seating at 6.

Many couples prefer MTD.

It truly does depend on "who" is on your sailing.

We booked Freedom of the Seas on Sun Dec 5th for the Sun Dec 12th sailing and were waitlisted for MTD. Was told to go to the main dining room and request the change. DON'T DO IT!!! Someone earlier stated it was a waste of time and they would send you to MTD on deck 5. THIS IS A CORRECT STATEMENT!!!

We got on and went to the dining room, they directed us to deck 5. Upon getting there I told them I was waitlisted, they asked for my sea pass. Not sure if this has something to do about it but the lady there looked at my card and immediately said, "Yes, you can be changed to MTD." She never looked at anything but my card. We are wondering if it had something to do with our Diamond status or not but that is they way it appeared.

Tim

Whatever you do, get there early and do what HB Cruiser posted earlier - go directly to the 5th floor to find out your status. What happens on most cruises is that some PAX are fine with main or late seating as long as they get the table they want. You get the mad dash to MTD when the PAX realizes that the quiet table for 2 is not available and instead, they're seated at a 10-person table.:eek:

We are also waitlisted on the LOS cruise 2/19. Where do we go to make the change on this ship? Wish these ships would just forget that traditional dining stuff and let you eat when you want!!!

The Windjammer has very liberal dining times.

You can eat whenever you wish.:)

Another option might be to email Royal about the MTD. I have the following name & email for you to try.

Marlene Prieto

Administrator, Restaurant Operations

Specialty Dining Administration

Food & Beverage Operations

Royal Caribbean International

Tel:305-539-6000 ext. 38614

Fax:305-539-4205

RCLDining@rccl.com

Thanks so much for posting this! I was waitlisted for MTD and emailed the address you provided. I received a response (though not from Ms. Prieto) within an hour and they said they would put us in as soon as additional MTD space was opened up. About ten days later, the person again emailed me and said our reservation had been updated and we were now confirmed for MTD.

Many, many thanks!!!

Rachel

...>>>SNIP<<<... Not sure if this has something to do about it but the lady there looked at my card and immediately said, "Yes, you can be changed to MTD." She never looked at anything but my card. We are wondering if it had something to do with our Diamond status or not but that is they way it appeared.

Tim

......."Diamonds are a girl's best friend"

cf. Carol Channing - 1953.

And you wonder why we blow the competition away in Broadway trivia...DW is a sponge for this.

Archived