Missed Port? Port Charge refund?

I was on the Liberty of the Seas 2 weeks ago and we had to miss Grand Cayman because the port was closed (high winds) This is the first time I've missed a port on RCI.

On Princess, we were always automatically refunded the port charges off of our bill. I didn't think about it this time until I got home and when I called RCI, the person I spoke to basically didn't know what I was talking about! She said she would look into and call me back.

Does RCI refund port charges?

Thanks!

I am not positive but is it possible when the ship tenders there are no port charges?

Interesting thought ... in addition, I hear about Coco Cay being hit or miss because of winds ...seeing that THEY are a "private island" sort of destination whether there would be Port Charges in that scenario?

Michael

Many years ago (10-15?), wasn't there a class action suit or an AG ruling against RCI for not refunding port charges? We got probably $100 worth of vouchers in the mail as a result of it - not that we instigated the action. Since then, we've missed various ports because of weather and never received a rebate of port charges.

Labadee used to be a tendered port and I've read that Haiti does received $6 per head

(*I think) for cruise passengers. They probably still receive a per passenger amount even though they can "park" there. We missed Labadee in October due to hurricane Tomas and did not receive a refund.

I was on the Liberty of the Seas 2 weeks ago and we had to miss Grand Cayman because the port was closed (high winds) This is the first time I've missed a port on RCI.

On Princess, we were always automatically refunded the port charges off of our bill. I didn't think about it this time until I got home and when I called RCI, the person I spoke to basically didn't know what I was talking about! She said she would look into and call me back.

Thanks!

On the Navigator last week everyone received a $18+/pp :DOBC due to changing ports from Ocho Rios to Montego Bay.

I am not positive but is it possible when the ship tenders there are no port charges?

I highly doubt that. For one, RCI uses Grand Cayman tenders not ship life boats. There is no way Grand Cayman is going to have ships showing up day after day and not make money on it.

On the Navigator last week everyone received a $18+/pp :DOBC due to changing ports from Ocho Rios to Montego Bay.

We had the same port swap on 11/15 and got nothing.

Once we missed Cocoa Cay and got back a whopping $0.06 :eek:.....each:rolleyes:

Have missed NCL's private island on both of my cruises with them and never recieved anything. Also, was on Navigator earlier this month and did not receive any compensation for the switch from Ocho Rios to Montego Bay (which would have been nice because my excursion was $30 more from Mo' Bay)

On Princess, we were always automatically refunded the port charges off of our bill.

Thanks!

I know people ASSUME if they get a little bit of refund its port charges. I know of no cruiselines that refund port charges.

Port charges are included in your cruisefare, but used to run around $50 per port per person in the days before they had to include them in your cruisefare.

Ill eat my hat if Princess has such a policy.

I know Carnival used to give $25 .. but now gives the TAX on the port fees .. note it is not the entire port fees, but the tax on them. We missed two ports and got approx $10 pp per port refunded.

If I had a nickle for everytime Iv read someone mistakenly claimed they got port charges back Id be rich.

We have actually tried inside sources, trying to pin down port charges/fees and they would not divulge them.. which makes me even more sure they would not refund the actual port fees, if this is such a closely guarded secret.

Thanks!

Don't get me started on port charges. In the last three years, we missed several ports and each time the refunds varied widely. On one of them where we missed our last 4 ports due to the swine flu, we were one of about 100 people that received NOTHING. When we asked onboard (because everyone else had them refunded back as OBC) why we didn't get anything, they put us off for over 24 hours and when we continued to ask, they replied Miami said we didn't pay any. What, we didn't PAY ANY?

Keep in mind that our friends booked the SAME cabin at theSAME price and they received a refund. Evidently, it has something to do with the TA you use. Friends that booked a lower cabin at a lesser price received over $100 in OBC. It just doesn't make sense.

Further communication with Miami was useless. I just hope we don't miss any more ports because it just makes me mad when 90% of the ship get a refund and we don't.

Firefly is, needless to say, 100% correct. What many passengers and TAs refer to as port charges are actually called non-commissionables in the industry, but this latter term the cruise lines go out of their way to avoid discussing. Technically speaking, the phrase port charges is not defined. Many cruise lines refund taxes, some like Carnival give a fixed amount (which Carnival claims is at least as large as the largest tax refund would be). Taxes may be just a few dollars at a given port, while the non-commissionable fees can be ten times that or more.

Bill

Archived