RCCL Explorer of the Seas or Carnival Miracle from NY/NJ?

vega

Hubby and I are looking into a cruise in June from NY/NJ and are trying to decide between Explorer of the Seas and Carnival Miracle. We've cruised ten times and LOVE RCCL! Our almost four year old son will be going with us and I'm concerned about him getting restless with four sea days. I know he'll have a blast on Explorer but the itinerary isn't as good as the Miracle, the price is a lot higher, and I know Carnival's food is better... Any advice? Any personal experiences aboard the Explorer? The ship is ten years old - does it look it? Feel it? What can we do in San Juan, as I feel that's one of the islands where we may not even get off the ship!?

Thanks,

Lana

I've done them both. I really like the Explorer. The Miracle I thought was a gaudy ship. It was a fun cruise though. The Explorer though is an exceptional ship. I thought food on RCCL was a bit better.

If price is a lot better on Carnival and the itinerary is wone you prefer then that's the way you want to go. Kids programs on Explorer appeared to be really fun.

I'm an Explorer person as well. Explorer goes to Bermuda, St. Thomas, St. Martin, and San Juan. Miracle goes to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau. My preference would definitely be the Explorer itinerary.

In San Juan the Explorer docks downtown and you can take the free trolley to El Morro. If you walk a little at the pier, you can go to stop 13 and get on before the crowds from the ship at Stops 14 and 1 (this is a really important trick). On your way back you can get off in the heart of Old San Juan and walk downhill back to the ship. I did this last year on our 7 am-1 pm San Juan stop and it worked well. There's lots of information on the Ports of Call forums about the other islands. On St. Martin you can take the water taxi to the downtown beach. The advantage of doing this with a 4 year old is that one adult can stay on the beach while the other gets a bit of shopping time.

Would you be flying or driving for this cruise? Both the hotels and parking are more reasonable for cruising out of Bayonne - Newark airport is only 20 minutes away.

I've only sailed RCCL so can't compare, but the Explorer is an awesome ship. Some will say she shows her age, but I sailed her two years ago and while it was noticeable that she wasn't brand new, I saw no signs of neglect.

I don't care for the Bayonne port itself, but the sailing, the staff, the food, was awesome.

I love San Juan. We're stopping there this summer on our Enchantment cruise and I can't wait. Not sure that I'd love it with a four-year old.

Have fun,

Rachel

Was on the Explorer last November, and the 9 night cruise was great even with the windy sea days going down and back. The ship didnt show any signs of wear and tear, and the food, cabins and service by the staff were all awesome. Can't wait to get back on her.

We've done both. Explorer rides much, much better and it's a larger ship. The decor really doesn't make any difference to me, although DH hated the dining room on Miracle with all the purple grapes. In San Juan, we have walked to the forts and through Old San Juan and have dinner in one of the PR restaurants.

If you ask this question on the RCCL board I bet everyone will opt for the Explorer. If you ask it on the Carnival board - they will opt for the Miracle. Been on both ships. I did not find the Miracle to be any more gaudy than any other Carnival ship. Food was fine on both. Go with whatever price and itinerary suits you best. Win Win situation for you.

I'm an Explorer person as well. Explorer goes to Bermuda, St. Thomas, St. Martin, and San Juan. Miracle goes to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, and Nassau. My preference would definitely be the Explorer itinerary.

In San Juan the Explorer docks downtown and you can take the free trolley to El Morro. If you walk a little at the pier, you can go to stop 13 and get on before the crowds from the ship at Stops 14 and 1 (this is a really important trick). On your way back you can get off in the heart of Old San Juan and walk downhill back to the ship. I did this last year on our 7 am-1 pm San Juan stop and it worked well. There's lots of information on the Ports of Call forums about the other islands. On St. Martin you can take the water taxi to the downtown beach. The advantage of doing this with a 4 year old is that one adult can stay on the beach while the other gets a bit of shopping time.

Would you be flying or driving for this cruise? Both the hotels and parking are more reasonable for cruising out of Bayonne - Newark airport is only 20 minutes away.

are there any hotels that offer stay and leave your car while on cruise in NJ if we go on the Explorer? Thanks for any help

Check out www.trinityreservations.com - in June about $130 tax incl for hotel and 14 days parking. Transportation to the pier $40/3 people each way. For a NYC departure look at Homewood Suites in Edgewater, NJ. - free shuttle to the ferry - about $18/2 people each way to NY + cab to the pier or possibly free bus on weekdays. A decent NYC hotel will run about $300/night plus $30/day to park at the pier. You can also get an inexpensive hotel in NJ (under $100) and park at the pier. Lots of options - you have to decide how much you want to spend vs. the hassle involved.

For my Feb cruise on the Explorer I am doing the sleep/park at Newark at the Fairfield Inn. There are at least 7 of us from the roll call staying there and the transportation will end up being about $10/pp each way.

Wow, thanks for the feedback!!

We live in NY, so we'd just drive to the port.

How was the food on Explorer? I feel like Carnival's food is much better.

You've given me some great ideas for San Juan. What about King's Wharf? We did a cruise to Bermuda a few years ago and loved it but found it difficult to get out of Kings Wharf and actually get to the beaches. In fact, I'm not sure if we did! Are there buses you can take to get to Elbow Beach or Horseshoe bay from Kings Wharf?

Thanks!

Are you really surprised to be getting all votes for the Explorer on the Royal Caribbean board?

I think that the Carnival Miracle is a great ship. It's part of the Spirit class of ships which consistently gets the best reviews on the Carnival fleet. The space to passenger ratio is much better than on the Explorer. However, as others have mentioned, I would pick San Juan ANY DAY over Nassau. If you do some research in advance, San Juan might turn out to be the highlight of your cruise. It was on our last Eastern Caribbean cruise!

About the food, we just returned from a Carnival cruise a few weeks ago.Honestly, the food was OK, but after a while, it seemed as if we were eating the same thing over and over. I wouldn't pick the Miracle because of the perception that food might be better...

What did you do in San Juan? I like the idea of exploring the fort. Our son would love that. I looked at the tours and they either look dull or our son would be too young for them.

I found out that we can just take a bus from Kings Wharf to HorseShoe Bay, so we're set there.

I have to say that we've been to Nassua three times and loved it each time. We always go to the beach by Atlantis, and occassionally wander into Atlantis and love it.

With the Explorer, we get an additional day (it's a 9 night as opposed to 8 night sailing) but the price is about $900 more. We're Crown and Anchor members and have the RCCL credit card, so I may get the cost down to $3100 or so for two adults and a child, which is still about $600 more than with Carnival. :(

Are there buses you can take to get to Elbow Beach or Horseshoe bay from Kings Wharf?

Yes there are. There's a bus stop more or less at the very end of the pier that will take you to Horseshoe Bay.

My advice would be to go as early as you can to avoid both the lines for the bus as well as to stake out a good spot at Horseshoe.

I prefer Carnival myself...been on equal RCI and CCL cruises (until next week when my next CCL cruise will put them 1 up...) but when choosing a cruise we ALWAYS look at the options (including all lines)...the ports, what the ship has that we're interested in (i.e., yes some ships have a flow rider, mini golf, whatever, but if it's not what you're interested in, it really doesn't matter)...it sounds like you've found something you can do in San Juan but you also like Nassau and know there's something there for your child to do...so in this case I'd look at the ships and see what you like about each one. If price is really a factor, I'd personally go with the cheaper price...again, JMHO...anytime you can just take a short drive and be on a cruise ship is a good day!! No matter which line!

Besides the actual port stops you need to look at arrival and departure times for the various ports. Explorer tends to get into San Juan around 3 PM or later which does not allow a lot of time to see the Forts and do shopping since by 5 PM the Forts close. Most of the shops will close around 6 PM. This also eliminates some of your beach time along with some of the longer tours.

Explorer is an older ship and as of last November (it turned 10 years old on 10/27/10) it was holding up pretty good having come out a dry dock only months before.

You will not have flat screen TV's nor are the cabins as large as on Carnival. I am in agreement with you as far as food qualitity, selection and availablity -- Carnival does it better.

Only you can decide if an extra day is worth the extra money since it a sea day and not an extra port.

Even though I too live in NY, getting in and out of Bayonne can be a pain in the neck due to having to take the bus to and from the ship. It didn't go as smooth as it could have and a lot of people with canes, wheel chairs, etc. had a long wait to get off the ship. As each new elevator discharged more and more passengers ready to get off the ship, there was no where for them to stand except in the middle of everyone else.

We waited 20 minutes to get an elevator when first embarking and the staff member in the area didn't seem motivated to find out what was causing the delay. People had young children in their arms who started swirming and wanting to be on the ground -- not possible with the amount of people waiting for elevators and the accompanying hand luggage.

Only you can determine if your child will be able to deal with the boarding/disembarking and having to take a bus to the ship.

MARAPRINCE

Are you really surprised to be getting all votes for the Explorer on the Royal Caribbean board?

I think that the Carnival Miracle is a great ship. It's part of the Spirit class of ships which consistently gets the best reviews on the Carnival fleet. The space to passenger ratio is much better than on the Explorer. However, as others have mentioned, I would pick San Juan ANY DAY over Nassau. If you do some research in advance, San Juan might turn out to be the highlight of your cruise. It was on our last Eastern Caribbean cruise!

About the food, we just returned from a Carnival cruise a few weeks ago.Honestly, the food was OK, but after a while, it seemed as if we were eating the same thing over and over. I wouldn't pick the Miracle because of the perception that food might be better...

:confused:

The Explorer has a much better space passenger ratio than the Miracle.

Explorer is 44.32 GRT per passenger and Miracle is only 41.67 GRT per passenger

We have been on the Mariner, which is like the Exployer, and also the Miracle, I will tell you they BOTH were my favorite ships!!!!!! :D

LOVE the layout on both of them! I would go with the cheaper one myself!!! $900 is a lot more money for one extra night!

ALSO Ports are important to me!!!!

BUT either one I am SURE you will have a BLAST!!!!

BOTH ships are TOTALLY different in looks! I DO NOT think that the Miracle was guady at all! It is a Carnival ship! I look at it as more art work! BUT Exployer will be beautiful!!! IF like the Mariner!

Have fun choosing!!!! ;)

We've been on both ships, and strongly disliked Miracle. You can click on the link in my signature to my review for details, but briefly, service was atrocious, the ship had a very awkward layout and was very crowded, the kids club was underutilized resulting in lots of older kids running around without being positively occupied.

$900 seems like a lot of money for one extra night, specially when you already know you enjoy Nassau.

$900 could easily put you on your way to your NEXT cruise after this one!

Archived