Dress code

curiouscat

What is the current dress code? And is it adhered too? Thanks CC

There are many, many threads in this forum that are about dress code. Suggest u try searching this forum.

SS has formal, informal and casual on its voyages and, generally speaking, yes, the dress code is adhered to.

Cheers

Jennifer

That is my pet peeve (along with baseball caps at table) --

EVERY gentleman should wear a jacket at dinner. On informal nights -- jacket sans tie but with collared shirt OK with me.

I complain to hotel director if dress code is not followed. Codes are written in plain English on cruise documents -- if you don't want to follow the rules -- go elsewhere.

I'm sure Carnival or another mass market will welcome you.

Silversea is now aggressively marketing to a younger demographic and it’s been my experience over the last year or so that the dress code is not as strictly adhered to. The Spirit especially lends itself to a less formal ambience. I saw lots of men without jackets in the main restaurant on informal nights. I asked Fernando (the CD) about this and all he could do was shake his head, shrug his shoulders and say that many of those folks were new to Silversea, they were having a great time and he implied that Silversea is not about to alienate these new, young and affluent costumers. Also, when you see the growing popularity of informal dining venues like Stone Grill you begin to realize that

packing a tuxedo/dark suit and formal shoes for just one or two nights of a cruise is going the way of the dodo.

Josette, We had 4 formal nights on our 15 day cruise. I and many others wore a tuxedo, the majority of others-maybe because of the overwhelming European demographic-wore dark suits. My take is that formal dress is still welcomed on SS; but anything less is not enthusiastically embraced.

For those interested in the numbers: total passengers,189; Americans,82; Swiss,42; other Euros approx. 45.

For those interested in the numbers: total passengers,189; Americans,82; Swiss,42; other Euros approx. 45.
So your voyage is just half full (Shadow/Whisper capacity 382). On the one hand it must be good for you, or the other hand, it sounds like a rarity, a previous poll showed Silversea ships to be around 90% full on average ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=4139 ).

Getting back on dress, the easiest for gentlemen will be to bring a black suit, a white and some coloured/patterned shirts, and some coloured pants, plus a bow tie. Wear the suit with white shirt and bow tie for formal nights, with coloured shirts and pants without the bow tie on informal nights, and without the jacket (e.g. a sweater) on casual nights.

So your voyage is just half full (Shadow/Whisper capacity 382). On the one hand it must be good for you, or the other hand, it sounds like a rarity, a previous poll showed Silversea ships to be around 90% full on average ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=4139 ).

Getting back on dress, the easiest for gentlemen will be to bring a black suit, a white and some coloured/patterned shirts, and some coloured pants, plus a bow tie. Wear the suit with white shirt and bow tie for formal nights, with coloured shirts and pants without the bow tie on informal nights, and without the jacket (e.g. a sweater) on casual nights.

I'm sorry - spend the extra $25 for an additional suitcase and bring appropriate formal clothing. The women will most likely want to wear formal clothing, so the gentlemen should dress accordingly. This is not rocket science. It is simply good manners and good taste!

If you have a Platinum Amex card, the extra airline charge can be covered under their new policy.

We're in our late 40's and are looking forward to the opportunity to actually dress up on our cruise because we have hardly any occasion in our "regular" lives to do so. That being said, I do think there is a problem with the terminology used by Silversea. I realize that they do provide definitions but frankly, to most people I know, "informal" does not mean that men wear jackets. If there are many people who are new to Silversea and perhaps a bit younger, the terminology may be part of the problem.

Sorry, but carrying my tux and accoutrements plus my wife's formals and accoutrements makes luggage too heavy for air travel on international flights. I'm happy that some among the group think the overweight cost is a mere $25; perhaps they'd like to offer to pay the true cost for those of us who are slightly more realistic.:rolleyes:

It's going to be jacket and tie for me and dress for my wife. Suit? Haven't owned 1 for the 12 years I've been retired and have zero intention of ever wearing 1 again, alive or dead! They're as necessary as yesterday's newspaper...great for lining the bottom of a bird cage or wrapping fish at Pike's Market, but otherwise as useful as 18th century pantaloons in a swimming pool.:)

We're seasoned cruisers and have NEVER seen anyone refused service on any of the 30 prior cruises on the 6 lines we're been aboard. It would be stupid for a member of the wait staff to tell a paying passenger to eat elsewhere; it might lead to a vicious complaint on a comment card and to a review totally denigrating the ship and line on CC.

What is the current dress code? And is it adhered too?

Thanks

CC

You will get mixed answers to this question because like anything else in life most people are great about following the recommended guidelines and there are always some who are not. This happens on all cruise lines we have sailed on including Silversea.

We also have noted on all cruises that sometimes the evening attire that we'll see on board will be influenced by the length of the cruise (you may see less tuxedos on a formal night on a shorter cruise where there is only one formal night), where the ship is sailing, and the demographics of the passengers.

The following is from the Silversea Web Site.

Also, if you go to the following link it will show you what the typical breakdown of evening attire will be depending on the length of the cruise.

http://www.silversea.com/new-to-cruising/general-information/packing/

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Casual resort wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore, and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at resorts. Shoes should be flat or low-heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, open-neck shirts, slacks and sports outfits are appropriate. On informal evenings, women usually wear dresses or trouser suits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for women is an evening gown or cocktail dress; men wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. On formal nights, guests dining in La Terrazza may opt to wear casually elegant attire (dresses or trouser suits for women; jacket, tie optional for men). Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all of the public spaces for both entertainment or cocktails and after-dinner drinks. Sailings of eight days or less typically feature two formal nights, while longer voyages usually have three or four formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing your cruise luggage with the proper attire.

Keith

Sorry, but carrying my tux and accoutrements plus my wife's formals and accoutrements makes luggage too heavy for air travel on international flights. I'm happy that some among the group think the overweight cost is a mere $25; perhaps they'd like to offer to pay the true cost for those of us who are slightly more realistic.:rolleyes:

It's going to be jacket and tie for me and dress for my wife. Suit? Haven't owned 1 for the 12 years I've been retired and have zero intention of ever wearing 1 again, alive or dead! They're as necessary as yesterday's newspaper...great for lining the bottom of a bird cage or wrapping fish at Pike's Market, but otherwise as useful as 18th century pantaloons in a swimming pool.:)

We're seasoned cruisers and have NEVER seen anyone refused service on any of the 30 prior cruises on the 6 lines we're been aboard. It would be stupid for a member of the wait staff to tell a paying passenger to eat elsewhere; it might lead to a vicious complaint on a comment card and to a review totally denigrating the ship and line on CC.

$25 is the cost of an additional suitcase, not an overweight charge. Sorry for the confusion.

We thought our suggestion was quite "middle of the road". A black suit, white shirt and bow tie reasonably resemble a tuxedo, and this way, the amount of luggage will be easier to handle. And it abides by all the rules!

This is starting to remind me of the smoking threads or the ones that compare cruise lines or the ones that ask can I make a 10:30 AM flight?

All the OP asked was what is the dress code? I think the best answer is to read the suggested guidelines provided by Silversea. It is pretty clear in my humble opinion. Certainly, I think it is fair to say that most people can figure it out.

The OP then asked is it adhered to? I think it is fair to say that the vast majority of passengers adhere to it but just like almost every other cruise line some people choose to ignore it.

Merry Christmas.

Keith

We thought our suggestion was quite "middle of the road". A black suit, white shirt and bow tie reasonably resemble a tuxedo, and this way, the amount of luggage will be easier to handle. And it abides by all the rules!

I agree with your "middle of the road" approach. Unfortunately I found some posts on this thread rather elitist. . . . an atitude I rarely see on luxury lines. Wearing a black suit, white shirt, bow tie or regular tie is perfectly acceptable on any cruise line on formal night.

I also agree that Silversea's designation of "informal" can be confusing to many. In fact, even the number of days indicated for "formal" and "informal" nights are not specific (or accurate). Even if you call Silversea, you cannot get a definitive answer as to how many "formal" nights there will be.

Keith, comparing this to a smoking thread could be dangerous since Silversea's captains and staff ignore that policy. Most people do abide by the dress code.

I agree with your "middle of the road" approach. Unfortunately I found some posts on this thread rather elitist. . . . an atitude I rarely see on luxury lines. Wearing a black suit, white shirt, bow tie or regular tie is perfectly acceptable on any cruise line on formal night.

I also agree that Silversea's designation of "informal" can be confusing to many. In fact, even the number of days indicated for "formal" and "informal" nights are not specific (or accurate). Even if you call Silversea, you cannot get a definitive answer as to how many "formal" nights there will be.

Keith, comparing this to a smoking thread could be dangerous since Silversea's captains and staff ignore that policy. Most people do abide by the dress code.

Yes, a dark suit is perfectly acceptable along with the other items that I posted earlier directly from the Silversea web site. To me, their write up is very easy to follow as is the case with write ups on most cruise lines and it takes the emotion out of the discussion.

My experience on all of the ships we have sailed on across all of the luxury cruise lines is that the vast majority of people also follow the smoking guidelines.

But my experience on Cruise Critic is that threads on evening attire and smoking along with a few other topics such as compare this cruise line to another cruise line bring out lots of emotions and in the end many just end up speaking over one another.

My wife and I abide by the rules/guidelines and if we don't like the rules/guidelines we would just find another cruise line.

Keith

Thought you might find this recent thread of interest: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1324677 . Perhaps you can explain it to the OP?

The original posters question was what is the dress code on Silversea.

The write up that I provided indeed shows what the attire is for the three types of nights; Formal, Informal and Casual. I think it is quite clear and answers the original posters question.

Paula's question was specific to how many formal nights there would be on her cruise and it appears she did not get a good answer to that. That's unfortunate but that is not what the OP asked.

I personally like the way Crystal does it. We get up front an itinerary that shows by day what the evening attire will be. I wish all of the lines would provide something like that and they can always provide a disclaimer saying it could be changed. It helps with planning.

Keith

The original posters question was what is the dress code on Silversea.

The write up that I provided indeed shows what the attire is for the three types of nights; Formal, Informal and Casual. I think it is quite clear and answers the original posters question.

Paula's question was specific to how many formal nights there would be on her cruise and it appears she did not get a good answer to that. That's unfortunate but that is not what the OP asked.

I personally like the way Crystal does it. We get up front an itinerary that shows by day what the evening attire will be. I wish all of the lines would provide something like that and they can always provide a disclaimer saying it could be changed. It helps with planning.

Keith

Guess we need to agree to disagree once again. When I am asked about dress code, in addition to stating the written dress code, I let the person know how many nights are "formal" or "informal". I feel this is important information. Unfortunately, this information is not clearly available on the website or in the documents sent to you prior to a cruise.

BTW, Regent gives the dress code on their website -- easy for anyone to check out. . . and, they do not need a disclaimer saying it could be changed as it does not change from what is stated on the website. Don't want to get off track with Regent or Crystal since the OP was asking about Silversea. Let's just say you are right and move on.

Guess we need to agree to disagree once again. When I am asked about dress code, in addition to stating the written dress code, I let the person know how many nights are "formal" or "informal". I feel this is important information. Unfortunately, this information is not clearly available on the website or in the documents sent to you prior to a cruise.

BTW, Regent gives the dress code on their website -- easy for anyone to check out. . . and, they do not need a disclaimer saying it could be changed as it does not change from what is stated on the website. Don't want to get off track with Regent or Crystal since the OP was asking about Silversea.

Crystal does not have a disclaimer either.

Anyway,this all proves my point.

The OP didn't ask how many nights there are for each type of attire.

All the OP asked was what is the dress code on Silversea which I've provided and do people follow it and like any thread on dress code or smoking it has gotten off topic

So, with that, it's time to move on. At least that is what I plan to do.

Keith

Archived