A question about Sign and Sail and my debit card

kaida

I have already filled out my fun pass for the cruise I am taking on January 2nd (Pride). I have attached my debit card to my sign and sail card. I get paid on January 7th, and the last day of the cruise is January 9th. I will have enough on my paycheck to cover tips, the steak house, and a small bit extra (I am rather good with my money, so not many extras will be on it). How much money is going to be "held" on my debit card? Will there be any issue with the check-in process? This is my first cruise, and I am unsure of what I can do. I can't use my credit card, because I only have a limit of $500. (Hey, I am only 20 here!). I have two debit cards for two different checking accounts. Does using the first debit card souns like a good plan, or will it cause me problems not to have the money at check-in time?

They dont actually have your debit card, as you only give them the last 4 digits when you fill out the fun pass.

If the hold they place on the funds puts your debit card over when they charge the tips .. then it could be a problem.

I would use cash or a credit card, if you dont have the money attached to your debit card until the last day of the cruise.

I have already filled out my fun pass for the cruise I am taking on January 2nd (Pride). I have attached my debit card to my sign and sail card. I get paid on January 7th, and the last day of the cruise is January 9th. I will have enough on my paycheck to cover tips, the steak house, and a small bit extra (I am rather good with my money, so not many extras will be on it). How much money is going to be "held" on my debit card? Will there be any issue with the check-in process? This is my first cruise, and I am unsure of what I can do. I can't use my credit card, because I only have a limit of $500. (Hey, I am only 20 here!). I have two debit cards for two different checking accounts. Does using the first debit card souns like a good plan, or will it cause me problems not to have the money at check-in time?

Your going to need money available at check-in as they will automatically put a hold on your debit card (if that is used). I believe it is $200 for a seven day cruise and as you get closer to using that limit during the cruise they will put another hold on your account to cover your additional spending even though they do not officially charge your account until the last day. Please don't be one of those names that is called over the loud speaker to come to the pursers desk.

They Authorize your card at the end of each day to make sure you have enough money on there. If you don't have enough they will place a note in your mail box to come to guest services to address the issue.

Also my suggestion is remove the tips from your card on the 2ed day then replace them at the end, because they will automatically add it to your account.

If I switch the fun pass over to my credit card, would that be better? I can then pay the card off with my paycheck. I didn't want to do that, but if I have to, I guess I can.

Will the $500 limit be enough? About $400 of it will be available at the time of the cruise.

If I switch the fun pass over to my credit card, would that be better? I can then pay the card off with my paycheck. I didn't want to do that, but if I have to, I guess I can.

Will the $500 limit be enough? About $400 of it will be available at the time of the cruise.

It would be enough for the things you listed to do. Just dont start drinking and lose your head. I use my RCL card, and pay it off every month, to get free money off my RCL cruises .. use it on my Carnival cruises as well.

It would be enough for the things you listed to do. Just dont start drinking and lose your head. I use my RCL card, and pay it off every month, to get free money off my RCL cruises .. use it on my Carnival cruises as well.

I can't drink (I'm a young'in) and my mom doesn't really like alcohol (gives her a headache after 1/2 glass), so we will be good to go.

I think I will switch my fun pass to my credit card. Thanks for the help everyone!

Yeah at the end of the cruise you can switch cards that you want to pay with. My first cruise with everything we spent was probably around $1100. We learned on my second cruise I only spent about 400.00 per person with Tip..

but fire is right don't start drinking like crazy.. This time I learned even better but I have $200 OBC when getting on the ship so that will help..

I can't drink (I'm a young'in) and my mom doesn't really like alcohol (gives her a headache after 1/2 glass), so we will be good to go.

I think I will switch my fun pass to my credit card. Thanks for the help everyone!

For your case, the best thing would be to open your account with the credit card.

Then, on the last night, go down to the Pursers desk and pay off your account and close it with your debit card.

For your case, the best thing would be to open your account with the credit card.

Then, on the last night, go down to the Pursers desk and pay off your account and close it with your debit card.

That sounds like a great idea! I will probably do that. Is the Pursers desk busy the last night?

The purser's desk is busier on the last night than the others, but not a terribly long wait. Just keep an eye on it throughout the day to find when the fewest people are there. We usually do the same thing, use the credit card for our S&S, but actually pay the last night using the debit card. This is true not just for cruises but hotels, etc. You really shouldn't use a debit card for those purposes except for final payment, otherwise, they can screw with your balance. In fact, my husband very recently used a debit card to hold a hotel room and they actually posted the full charge for the room on the card a week before we checked in - did not just hold that amount, actually removed it from my bank account. Had plenty in the bank account to cover it and we were checking in a week later for only one day and the hotel was nearby, but still a bit surprising.

Can you pre-pay your daily service charges (tips) before you even leave for the port? I know on NCL you are able to do that to keep the final bill lower. That way you know your discretionary spending limits. It would be something to look into at least.

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

I agree to use the cc or cash at check in, then payoff with either cash or debit. When we took our last cruise, (on RCCL) they would place a hold on the card every day.(around $100) By then end, they held $900 (9 day cruise) and we only had a $300 bill. This money stayed held for another 2 or three days after the cruise. Then they finally charged the $300 when the holds disappeared. We are cruising on 1/6 and my son and his girlfriend are broke college kids, so they are taking their Christmas money, and using that for their S&S account, and using their debit cards for other things. Have a great cruise!!!:D

Archived