seasickness in alaska?

chel2thec

I've been on a couple Caribbean cruises but now we're talking about going on an Alaska cruise in a group w/our family. My mom really wants to come, but she gets motion sick fairly easily. What is Alaska like for motion sickness? Does anyone know?

I've been on a couple Caribbean cruises but now we're talking about going on an Alaska cruise in a group w/our family. My mom really wants to come, but she gets motion sick fairly easily. What is Alaska like for motion sickness? Does anyone know?

I also get motion sick easily, but got a prescription for a patch and also some bonine. Our ship was very calm and I took the patch off (made me sleepy) in 3 days. I did get quite sick on the train before, but never actually lost any food. There may be a rough day, but basically it is very nice sailing. Tell her to go to Alaska. It is so worth it!!!:)

FWIW it all depends on the weather. When weather is nice it's as smooth as glass, and when its rough well its rough. In all my cruising experience I did have my worst storms in Alaska, but also the smoothest.

Although you can have rough seas at anytime, statistically the seas you travel with a cruise out of Vancouver will be calmer than if you cruise out of Seattle.

On our cruise in June, we had smooth sailing all the way from Vancouver to Seward. Sometimes as you cross the Gulf heading up toward Seward it can get rough, but we were fortunate and had no rough waters. My DH and I are both prone to seasickness. I took Bonine the entire cruise and used Ginger Root if I felt queasy. (For some reason I would feel queasy at the front of the ship, even though sailing seemed smooth.) The ginger root worked like a charm for me. (should get any meds even over the counter approved my your doctor). I say go for the cruise, but choose one out of Vancouver and make sure your mother speaks with her doctor and takes proper precaution. I am glad we did not let our seasickness issues dissuade us from taking an Alaskan cruise. It ended up being my all time favorite vacation.

We sailed out of Seattle last year, and our first day, a sea day, was fairly rough. It didn't bother us too much, but they did get the sea sickness bags out and by the elevators. After that, it was smooth sailing all the way, not even a ripple.

It does depend on where you leave from.

Cheers

Len

One of the important differences is the itinerary. If it goes between the BC Mainland and Vancouver Island, you won't get as much rough water. If it goes on the west side of Vancouver Island, it will be MUCH rougher.

It could be just me, but Seward seems to be a little worse. You can look on the routes on the map--a direct route to Seward tends to put you more on the high seas.

More often than not, seasickness is not a problem; but when it does happen, it's miserable enough that it's worth it to be prepared for it. I've got to love the feeling, though, when you board the cruise ship's elevators and not know which way is up.

I am very prone to motion sickness. We went Seattle to Vancouver. The much talked about 1st day at sea out of Seattle was not rough but it was the most motion we felt. The time actually in Alaska was very, very smooth. I did take dramamine for the whole trip but I think I probably would have been OK without it because it was so smooth.

The patch is often talked about. I have used it twice and suffered terrible side effects AFTER the cruise (second cruise I used it on). I would be very careful about using that drug and I will never use it again.

Jen in SoCal

If you want to reduce the chance of rough seas try to book a R/T cruise of the inside passage out of Vancouver. While there is always a chance for rough seas anywhere it is less likely to occur.

Also, as some have said bring a remedy such as bonine and also I would try to book a cabin that is more mid ship and on a lower deck.

Keith

Yep ...just be prepared...best advice. 2007 just took my Bonine until the last day at sea coming into Seward...my DH got up early went out on deck, came in and suggested I put on my patch. I hung out in the middle of the ship that day, but never got sick. I brought all the meds in 2009, and again in 2010 in Mexico...but didn't use them at all. Just depends alot on the weather.

Archived