Free upgrades at the pier

Fridaynightlights

If you have ever received a surprise upgrade, did you believe the TIME you arrived at the pier made a difference?

Is being "very early" or "very late" to check in an advantage?

There appear to be several cabins still available for our March 10 voyage and am hoping the "Upgrade Fairy" might smile on us. We'd love some hints.

Thanks!

Rhadlock -I wouldn't count on it. I've never gotten a free upgrade in all of the years that I have been cruising. Now, I have paid at the pier and gotten a good upgrade deal but that is only good if there are unsold cabins.

Yes, I know that there are some people who have received free upgrades in the past but it has never happened to me. We have arrived both early (best way to get a paid upgrade at a reduced rate if there are available cabins) and late and it didn't make a difference - no free upgrades.

I wish you luck and hope you get one.

I think the days of free upgrades are virtually over for all cruise lines. When we were on the Summit last year, an older couple were booked in the Royal Suite and wanted to upgrade to the PH. They were elite members and thought they would get a great deal. The check in person called and they were told they could upgrade, for $2000 per person. The man asked why no free upgrades and he was told that Celebrity not giving out many freebies since their ships are sailing virtually full. Right after 9/11 all ships were empty, so upgrades were common, but now that people have come back to vacationing, upgrades have disappeared.

If you have ever received a surprise upgrade, did you believe the TIME you arrived at the pier made a difference?

There appear to be several cabins still available for our March 10 voyage and am hoping the "Upgrade Fairy" might smile on us. We'd love some hints.

Thanks!

All free upgrades will have been assigned before you get to the pier. You might not find out about it until you get to the pier but the pier is not where they are handed out. As far as the upgrade fairy, most unlikely on Celebrity. They almost never hand out free upgrades. If they have empty cabins they will upgrade you at the pier for an additional charge.

I think the days of free upgrades are virtually over for all cruise lines. When we were on the Summit last year, an older couple were booked in the Royal Suite and wanted to upgrade to the PH. They were elite members and thought they would get a great deal. The check in person called and they were told they could upgrade, for $2000 per person. The man asked why no free upgrades and he was told that Celebrity not giving out many freebies since their ships are sailing virtually full. Right after 9/11 all ships were empty, so upgrades were common, but now that people have come back to vacationing, upgrades have disappeared.

Free upgrades were never common on Celebrity or RCI. That was never their "thing".

I have recieved a bunch of free upgrades on Princess. Very common on Princess but of late on Princess they don't spring it on you at the pier anymore, they do it weeks before the sailing.

Haven´t sailed with Celebrity yet but I´m under the impression that it´s not that different than on RCCL. When I get to the pier early, on time or late all the SeaPass cards are ready to be collected by the passengers. So I think if you would get a free upgrade and I say this with a huge IF, it would be given before. Once your seapass is ready I doubt the check-in agent can do anything and I doubt that any regular check-in agent has the ability to issue any upgrades.

Thanks for all your input. I'm not really engaging in wishful thinking; I would be willing to pay a discounted price at the dock for an upgrade if it's within our budget. I'm seeing ads for $800 pp "inside guarantee" for our 11 night trip to the Panama Canal - and I'm counting about 16 cabins on various websites that are still for sale 12 days out. That price is less than what we're paying for our inside cabin. Maybe they would bump us up to an outside to make room for the person paying the bargain basement price?? It would make sence to me, but hey, I don't run a cruise line for a living!

When you get to the pier, if you go to the Pier Coordinators desk, you can find out about paid upgrades which are generally cheaper than the regular fare. I upgraded from a Sky Suite to a Royal Suite on Summit for $600 for both of us. An upgrade from inside to outside (IF there are still cabins available) might be very inexpensive. They give you a new card at that point since the old one is set up to work for the old cabin door.

i got a freebe once in 02 on our alaska cruise on hal --went from what was then called a mini suite to a full suite and that was our first exposure to the good life--the people who were booked in the suite were upgraded to the penthouse--we remain good friends to this day and they are sailing with us on celebrity 3/21/05 to the panama canal

i met the hal rep before the cruise at on of those ta free programs and i truly believe that she put in the good word for us but i will never know for sure

Thanks for all your input. I'm not really engaging in wishful thinking; I would be willing to pay a discounted price at the dock for an upgrade if it's within our budget. I'm seeing ads for $800 pp "inside guarantee" for our 11 night trip to the Panama Canal - and I'm counting about 16 cabins on various websites that are still for sale 12 days out. That price is less than what we're paying for our inside cabin. Maybe they would bump us up to an outside to make room for the person paying the bargain basement price?? It would make sence to me, but hey, I don't run a cruise line for a living!

If the price of your cabin has gone down since you paid in full, call your TA and you should be able to get a room credit for the difference. Has not happened to me, but I've read over and over that it is possible (and I'm keeping an eye on MY fare as well!)

Enjoy your cruise!

When you get to the pier, if you go to the Pier Coordinators desk, you can find out about paid upgrades ...

Just curious where one would find the Pier Coordinator? Is this in the area of the check in counters or before or after that point?

The pier coordinator desk is in different locations along the bank of computer desks for check-in. After you check-in ask where the desk is that day.

The price of our cruise had dropped around 100pp 2 weeks before sailing and had my TA credit the difference to our next cruise. We sailed last Sat 2/19 and there were some JR suites available for 400 for the cruise, which we took. Figured it only really cost me 200 for the week and had a large cabin with a great location and large balcony.

Call your TA! You should receive the difference in price and/or an upgrade.

If the original price was for a specific room instead of a guarantee, or if the advertised price for a guarantee is for new bookings only, you will not receive the difference in price and/or an upgrade.

Also, the special price might be from a TA who booked those rooms as a group booking and needs to either get rid of them or pay for them. If the price decrease is not from Celebrity itself on regular bookings, you will not get the price difference or upgrade from Celebrity.

I'm just going to make a b-line for the Pier Coordinator and see what's available for a paid upgrade.

A new question - has anyone had luck asking for and receiving a lower price than the upgrade being offered by the staff at the pier?

My goal: More Cash for More Cruises

11 cruise...one upgrade...I knew well in advance. I pick the cabin I want. Don't let any TA sell you with the line "there's a good chance you'll be upgraded". Grab your wallet and run!!

Thanks!

It never has been a policy, but there used to rare occassions. We were upgarded one time on NCL after going aboard. The upgrade was just to a higher deck, but was free. It was an anniversary sailing, I think that helped. Upgrades are getting rarer all the time.

11 cruise...one upgrade...I knew well in advance. I pick the cabin I want. Don't let any TA sell you with the line "there's a good chance you'll be upgraded". Grab your wallet and run!!

Hi Dan !

I have been on several more Celebrity Cruises, and I have never recieved an upgrade. I have only been upgraded one time on a Royal Caribbean ship, and the upgrade was actually (IMHO) a downgrade, as I had a great location mid-ship and was moved one deck up, to the very aft of the ship... some upgrade :)

With that said, I totally agree with your post. You made 2 great points.... ALWAYS book the cabin you want, as this way you will never be disappointed. And, dont ever let a TA sell you on the Upgrade Fairy, as Upgrades on Celebrity are just about non-existant these days.

We never have received a free upgrade but have paid for upgrades at the Pier. Three times we have booked a baloney or CC cabin which we knew we would be happy with. First time on Galaxy we upgraded to a Sky Suite for about $800 for a ten day cruise; April 2005 on the Summit nothing was available to pay to upgrade to and we were very happy in our room; October 2005 on the Summit we were able to upgrade from a CC to Royal Sutie for $600 and thought we were royality! We have a cruise booked in November on the Century and know we would not be happy without a baloney so we've booked the Sky Suite. Everyone is right though -- be sure you will be happy with what you book -- I never expect anything and dance the happy dance if something comes along my way!

Watch the available rooms on the cruise you booked on Travelocity or Expedia. If your going to make an upgrade move........ its best to do it before the DOC's are printed and sent. IE before they pretty much lock everyone on and upgrade who ever they are going to upgrade. If you see some catagories avail that are better than what you currently have booked......... call your agent and tell him or her to call the cruise line and ask what it will cost to upgrade. Lets face it........ before they print up the doc's they would much rather make a few hundred than offer a free upgrade to a frequent guest. MAKE THEM AN OFFER. It has worked for us several times. :)

I actually received a free upgrade on Celebrity in Jan 05. I booked a category 8 cabin on the Zenith and was informed on board that we got upgraded to Concierge Class, Cat 2.

So, it happens at times. This was our second free upgrade, once on Celebrity and once on RCL. (from a mini-suite to the royal suite which was very nice).

idssms

Archived