Best beach bar at Accra/Rockley?

MindTheGap1918

Where is a good spot to spend the day at Accra? Looking to rent chairs, drink, eat, relax, etc. Bar Kan'ei is mentioned on the boards a lot, but I am unable to find a website for them...

Try this link:

http://www.life-n-styles-barbados.com/bar-kanei.html

(If you go to the bar's facebook page you can even view the menu)

We did NOT enjoy Accra/Rockley beach AT ALL.

I guess it depends if you are truly 'beach-people'. If you enjoy going in the ocean, do not go! There is a huge ROCK FORMATION that goes from one end to the other with some very small breaks in the ROCK. O M G, this was the worst beach we have ever been to in the 15-20 islands we have been to. It is also a public beach. :cool: Bar KNai is "OK", but just that, nothing more. They have limited lounge chairs and umbrellas, so if you are one to just sit on the beach under an umbrella you're good to go, enjoy Bar K'nei (sp?), but if you are avid beach folk, chose somewhere else. It is touted to be quiet, but when we were there, the entire public beach was crowded. Going there last week finally convinced us (4) to never go to a public beach in Barbados. I would sooner chose Harbour Lights or even (le gasp, I cant beleive Im saying this.... :eek:) The Boat Yard. :eek:

Here is a Map of Rockely (appropriately named!!)

http://barbados.org/maps_google.htm?mapPoint=761

The dark, long black rectangle is a man made placed reef. If you snorkel and swim out there it might be a cool place to snorkel, but we didnt see anyone out that far. the dark areas along the shoreline are the rocks no one talks about that are a huge nuisance. If you go...take water shoes, it might help some if you want to get past the rocks.

The rum punch from Bar Kenai was terrible. Our kids had food, nothing special at all and they waited 45 minutes for it. :eek:

From what we saw, there is only one other place for food...but when DH wandered over there, the one guy who cooks walked away and no one knew if or when he might return. what a joke. I am so against public beaches now.

Sorry to rant..

We enjoyed our day at Rockley/Accra. Couldn't get chairs/umbrellas at Bar K'Nai as I guess we were just too early (9:30am?) so we just walked down a bit - I think we got them from a guy named Walter. Snorkeling was "okay" out by the man-made reef - visibility was low when we were there but no fault of the beach, it had been really rainy. We did get some chicken fingers from Bar K'Nai, they were good. I had two rum punches there. First one was good, second one bad. They were made by two different bar tenders, go figure. We would return to Rockley, all in all it was a good day. Not our favorite beach day, but not our worst!

@ CruiseDivaNJ. Wow, couldn't disagree with you more. Using your map in the link. I rented chair's and umbrella right where the red balloon with the black dot is on the beach. Sand was unbelievable and there were NO rocks, shells, coral, sticks, seagrass or debris of any kind. As a matter of fact, the sea floor was totally flat and had ripples in the sand on the seafloor as far as you could see. There wasn't a rocky, seashell transistion zone where the waves break there either. There were a couple of small bars just behind us and they made wonderful drinks. In fact its because of this beach that we are going to Barbados in June for a week. It was That impressive where we were camped out.

@ CruiseDivaNJ. Wow, couldn't disagree with you more. Using your map in the link. I rented chair's and umbrella right where the red balloon with the black dot is on the beach. Sand was unbelievable and there were NO rocks, shells, coral, sticks, seagrass or debris of any kind. As a matter of fact, the sea floor was totally flat and had ripples in the sand on the seafloor as far as you could see. There wasn't a rocky, seashell transistion zone where the waves break there either. There were a couple of small bars just behind us and they made wonderful drinks. In fact its because of this beach that we are going to Barbados in June for a week. It was That impressive where we were camped out.

Well, lol there are about 25 red balloons with black dots (as you described), so Not sure where on the beach you were. We didnt find any rocks shells, coral, sticks seagrass or debris either - just a huge rock formation (which you can clearly see in the barbados.org map directly in front of the man made reef. It is the dark area that runs along the shoreline)

From your description, we landed at the wrong end of the beach, closer to Bar Knei. We probably should have stayed with friends who were closer to the main entrance at the opposite end of the beach.

This was our second time to Barbados and if I had to recommend a beach this still wouldnt be it as there are others that are just, nicer. Maybe it has to do with how many Ships are in port as well [& how many folks taking holiday on the island renting, who bring their coolers & masses of family for the day], considering this is a Public beach. I rather pay an entrance fee and not be on a public beach.

Its great to have choices. :)

We enjoyed our day at Rockley/Accra. Couldn't get chairs/umbrellas at Bar K'Nai as I guess we were just too early (9:30am?) so we just walked down a bit - I think we got them from a guy named Walter. Snorkeling was "okay" out by the man-made reef - visibility was low when we were there but no fault of the beach, it had been really rainy. We did get some chicken fingers from Bar K'Nai, they were good. I had two rum punches there. First one was good, second one bad. They were made by two different bar tenders, go figure. We would return to Rockley, all in all it was a good day. Not our favorite beach day, but not our worst!

They add angostura....If given a choice I would leave it out. None of us felt their rum punch qualified as a cocktail either! lol

• 2 months later...
Next time in Barbados --if there is a next time for you---

you demand to be taken to a private beach: they're so much better ;)

Aren't all beaches in Barbados PUBLIC? if Rockely is just "so so" then where would our Barbados poster recommend?

"I rather pay an entrance fee and not be on a public beach."

Me, too!

I'm sick and tired of these public beaches!

Just where are the private ones? ;)

My point exactly! :)

There are no private beaches on the island. By law. :D

Archived